Realistic Transfer Targets (2023/24)

joeyt

5 hours ago, Nine said:

Him turning 31 doesn’t put me off at all tbh, with his physical build and style of play he could easily play at the top level for 4/5 more seasons.. but I can see why £40m for a 31 year old might seem a bit much. To me he perfectly fits the bill of what we’d be looking for, as for Calvert Lewin wouldn’t he be on more than 100k a week at Everton? I think it’s pretty safe to count out any player that’s earning north of that number for the next window. 

DCL is on £72k pw according to a few websites, with a contract until 2025. I’d hope we don’t bring him in- think we can do much better. 

I think the Athletic confirmed recently that there won't be major surgery on the squad but more like 6-8 departures and up to 5 new arrivals.

Based on the above I'd be selling/releasing:

Clark, Fede, Dummett, Krafth, Lewis Hayden, Gayle, Murphy, Hendrick.

That would leave us with the following squad:

GK - Dubravka, Darlow, Gillespie

Def - Manquillo, Tripper, Targett (15m option), Schar, Lascelles, Burn

Mid - Bruno, Shelvey, Willock, Joelinton, S. Longstaff, Miggy, ASM, Fraser,

CF - Wood, Wilson

Gives a squad of 19 with Anderson, M. Longstaff and Woodman loaned out.

We'd need to bring in the following to get a squad of 25: 

1x CB 

1x LB 

1x CM (Kalvin Phillips)

2x Winger (Sarr, Dwight McNeil, Ekitike)

1x CF

Howe has traditionally liked to buy British in the past or players with PL experience. Can see us targeting some of the players above depending on who goes down.

Really excited for the summer. Personally I hope we go for younger players with potential rather than superstars approaching 29/30 years old.

I know the above squad will still have some dead wood but not realistic to do a complete overhaul in one window.

4 minutes ago, Nine said:

If 35-40m for a just turned 31 yo is to much then would you not pay 8-10m for a 35 yo like say.. Dzeko either? 

Nope, I wouldn’t want him either. I want our team/signings to be young and hungry, and to be able to grow and evolve with the club rather than come for one last payday for a year or two. 

10 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Nope, I wouldn’t want him either. I want our team/signings to be young and hungry, and to be able to grow and evolve with the club rather than come for one last payday for a year or two. 

That’s fair enough, I get the thinking. I’d prefer that to but we might need to move the project along a year or two before we can tempt some high level young players.

12 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Phillips would be absolutely perfect. No doubt he’ll have some other suitors, but guess he might want to stay in the north. 

Where realistically will he get a game for the "big 6"? Man u he would but not a chance he'll move there. He'd get more shite than Alan Smith

I read we could get 6 or so plus Targett.

IMO

GK

2x CB + Targett

CM (would love Rice)

Winger (would love Raphinha)

ST

And another quality player

As a minimum. IMO we should target 7th.

I'd keep

GK - 2x backup

Def - Manquillo, Tripper, Targett (15m option), Burn

Mid - Bruno, Shelvey, Willock, Joelinton, ASM, Fraser.

CF - Wood, Wilson

Players like Almiron & Lascelles we shouldn't keep around unless they are great for the dressing room.

If we could get Rice & Phillips i'd shift Shelvey too.

I don’t expect us to shift any of the core members of the dressing room this summer so the likes of Lascelles, Shelvey (would keep anyway) and Dummett will stay. Almiron, Gayle, Fede, Clark, Lewis, Krafth almost certain to leave if we can do deals for them all.. I think we will bring in 5 + Targett.

Guest HTT II

DCL would be epic, he has it all, I’d prefer Abraham though and anyone turning their noses up at Rashford must be mad. 

I'd love DCL purely from an ability standpoint. I was concerned injury-wise but just discovered this season's fractured toe is the only extended layoff he's appeared to have going off TransferMarkt. Definitely worth a punt.

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, wormy said:

I'd love DCL purely from an ability standpoint. I was concerned injury-wise but just discovered this season's fractured toe is the only extended layoff he's appeared to have going off TransferMarkt. Definitely worth a punt.

I think if stay up and even if Everton do, he could be realistic because they will need the funds and a big money offer may be too tempting…

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II
Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Tammy Abraham surely is a no brainer for us to go for ?

Yes please, he would be dreamy for us. 

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Mikky said:

don’t assume all black people are Africans 

First bite… I was joking, playing on the African footballers are older than they say myth. I know he’s Mexican anyway!

15 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Tammy Abraham surely is a no brainer for us to go for ?

If Roma just spent close to £40m on him I'd imagine they'd not let him go for cheap.