Realistic Transfer Targets (2024/25)

joeyt

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Only 2 of our players are at the standard of where we want to be. 1 of them is 31, the other is unproven in this league. If we find the right calibre of player for the other 9 players and the price is right the mentality is right. We buy them. 

This is absolutely where we are and should be reiterated in every thread. We have potentially two players good enough to get us into the top half of the table, Trippier who will need replacing in a season or two and hopefully Bruno. The rest including the three other signings we made in January are not fit for purpose and will not help us get into the top half of the table or not without a healthy dose of luck and a more astute manager.

On 03/04/2022 at 17:49, Paullow said:

I was typing this up at 2-1, and obviously going 3-1 down it would get lost in the match thread so will repost here.

We've had a great run, and it looks like the ultimate objective will be achieved this season (although still a little bit more work to do there), but while there are some hard workers and cult hero's in the side, realistically how many XI signings do you think we need in the summer to be a solid 8/9/10 side, one that won't have any real danger of relegation throughout the season, like say a Wolves or Leicester type season?

Obviously Trippier and Wilson coming back will help, but I do think there's a lot of work needed in the summer. We did so well to win those 6 games, and will probably save the season, but a lot of the players are still pretty limited.

Priorities for me are RW, midfield enforcer and somebody to either replace or compliment Wilson. Think that is enough to make the first team top 10 guaranteed [if ASM turns out as I hope], but we'll need back up. 

Wilson Wood and New boy, should be enough options for next season. Midfield we would have New boy and Bruno, with a pool of Joelinton, Shelvey, Longstaff, Willock and Hendrick [lol], that might do if we're not looking to utilise a 10. But I think we need better back up.

On the wings we'd have Fraser, Murphy and Almiron. Happy to persist with Fraser and Almiron, if the new boy is of a higher quality than ASM.

Defence is a funny one. I think they're strong enough if we improve the attack with match winners, but we need better back up, so why not just buy better first teamers? I guess it depends how much we have to spend.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Providing the price isn't too silly, well up for bringing in the likes of Lloyd Kelly or Brennan Johnson.

Sure Brentford were in for around £20m for the latter. Guess it'll depend on who comes up.

Would we go for anyone from relegated teams?

Only Sarr and McNeill I would think based on their attributes, neither have stood out this season. Wouldn't touch Tarkowski and not convinced by Aarons.

That Rashica always looks decent to me for Norwich but imagine we could do considerably better

Guest HTT II
16 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Would we go for anyone from relegated teams?

Only Sarr and McNeill I would think based on their attributes, neither have stood out this season. Wouldn't touch Tarkowski and not convinced by Aarons.

That Rashica always looks decent to me for Norwich but imagine we could do considerably better

Weghorst to replace Wood…

2 hours ago, Disco said:

Sure Brentford were in for around £20m for the latter. Guess it'll depend on who comes up.

Aye. Spurs under Poch were excellent at scouting and coaching talent from the lower leagues. Less and less sides go down that route due to the grotesque prices, combined with the perceived need to find the finished article. West Ham have been very good at it under Moyes 

Edited by The Prophet

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Aye. Spurs under Poch were excellent at scouting and coaching talent from the lower leagues. Less and less sides go down that route due to the grotesque prices, combined with the perceived need to find the finished article. West Ham gave been very good at it under Moyes 

To be fair our scouting was pretty good under Ashley. The problem was after scouting the players he wouldn't pay a fair price for them.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Aye. Spurs under Poch were excellent at scouting and coaching talent from the lower leagues. Less and less sides go down that route due to the grotesque prices, combined with the perceived need to find the finished article. West Ham gave been very good at it under Moyes 

Have to wonder if prices will be as high post Covid and clubs still pissing money away on wages to revenue. Few decent younger players about aside from ones mentioned.  

Was just reading about that Levi Colville on loan to Huddersfield, could be the next Guehi. They've got Lewis O'Brien too who Leeds wanted. Then there's Spence and Jones at Boro. Suspect Solanke would probably do better back in the PL too and Jaidon Anthony is supposed to be decent.

54 minutes ago, Disco said:

Have to wonder if prices will be as high post Covid and clubs still pissing money away on wages to revenue. Few decent younger players about aside from ones mentioned.  

Was just reading about that Levi Colville on loan to Huddersfield, could be the next Guehi. They've got Lewis O'Brien too who Leeds wanted. Then there's Spence and Jones at Boro. Suspect Solanke would probably do better back in the PL too and Jaidon Anthony is supposed to be decent.

Aye Harry Souttar looks a bit of a monster at the back too.

How much would someone like Kalvin Phillips cost? £50m+? There’s no denying that he’s a good player. But is he REALLY worth that much? (For us, at this moment in time)

For that money I think we can do better business considering that we need a few players and won’t spend 200+ million in one window. Getting the right deals and signings could strengthen us more overall than going for only a few super expensive ones imo. 

In this case for example, I’d rather see us going for say Matheus Nunes for around £35m and sign someone more defensive minded like Grillitsch on a “free” and then have cash over for other areas.  IIRC we have been linked with him before, not sure.

I reckon a midfield trio of Bruno and Nunes and Grillitsch would be absolutely class as well as well balanced in every way. This without spending ridiculous money. Too me this feels like very good value for money.

I like the idea of going for players like Bruno. Very high quality with their best years ahead of them. Tons of hunger to improve and have new experiences. Players that will grow with us and build up their name in a new league with us. 

Edited by Ikon

Billy Gilmour seems to have go off the boil a bit but he looked good when we played them earlier in the season, he would be a good squad filler, one for the future signing and would benefit from Eddie's coaching 

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Im not one for taking old past it players from big clubs, but I'd have Fernandinho for a year. Still oozes class. 

Be a shame he won’t be playing in England next year. Great and completely underrated player.