Kieran Trippier 'hopefully back soon' (Howe)

Yorkie

12 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

I think his period of poor form is already over most likely, I think it was mostly fatigue due to sheer volume of games as with most of the others

Unless there really is something going on away from the field

Sure, but the fact he has generally been so remarkable, in his position at his age, is extremely rare. Generally full backs peak and drop-off the earliest. Aside from Kyle Walker, I can't think of many other great full backs over 32.  

3 minutes ago, Jagten said:

Sure, but the fact he has generally been so remarkable, in his position at his age, is extremely rare. Generally full backs peak and drop-off the earliest. Aside from Kyle Walker, I can't think of many other great full backs over 32.  

As pointed out earlier in the thread, Cafu, but then again he’s probably the greatest fullback ever 

Something feels really odd about this one. The way it’s been leaked to the press. Stuff coming out about Trippier being interested (understandable I guess). 

I think there’s a chance this happens. Which would be awful for us. 

Irrespective of what happens from here, Trippier's contributions to the club were massively important. His leadership, professionalism, and quality helped us immeasurably when we were seriously facing the prospect of relegation. That should never be forgotten. But if he's sold, this is now a sliding doors moment - and it could go one of two ways:

1. We sell Trippier for a nice fee and use that fee and the room it opens up for us appropriately to continue our rise as a club. Livramento slots right in for Trippier and we don't miss too much of a beat on the pitch. The players at the club understand Trippier's age, our financial situation, and where things are this season, and they react with long-term optimism about the project in spite of the sale. The summer sees us spend lavishly and keep growing.

2. We sell Trippier for a nice fee and the players immediately get upset, thinking that the project is stalling, and the future here isn't as bright as they expected. Other players start to see their heads being turned by offers and they start to doubt whether or not this is the right project for them. The rest of the season dwindles away in a sea of rumour and discontent and the summer is a reclamation project as we have to rebuild not only players but also attitudes. 

I hope it's 1, but there are a lot of people outside the club who would want to see 2. Huge challenge for Howe's leadership and the leadership of our ownership/Ashworth.

Would be a terrible loss, especially in Jan. Both on and off the field he's our figurehead and sets the standards. 

Yes he's getting on and we need to bring money in, but there's a line where the negatives outweigh the positives. He's one of only 4 or 5 elite players we've got.

3 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Something feels really odd about this one. The way it’s been leaked to the press. Stuff coming out about Trippier being interested (understandable I guess). 

It's the bayern way. They are elite at it

Don't want to lose him, what he offers both on and off the field is invaluable

However, if the reports are correct that he's keen on the move (for whatever reason) then it would be foolish not to try and extract the maximum fee possible, thank him for his service and invest that money back into the side 

I don't want Trippier to go personally as he's been inspirational for us since he joined, is still one of our best players, and ideally we'd have another 18 months of him playing at the top level for us before Livramento takes over as first choice.

However there's definitely been something not right with him for the last couple of months. And there has been signs there every now and again of his inevitable decline that will come eventually. He is 34 at the start of next season after all.

Don't like a loan deal - but if we got a solid fee of sone kind and his big wages off the books which unlocked 1-2 signings I wouldn't blame the club at all for doing it.

58 minutes ago, La Parka said:

Not been playing for a while, but might be injured @Groo

Yes he's been injured, came back today and not played well. As can be seen on our forum, someone started a thread after today's game about how bad he was.

https://jackarmy.net/forum/threads/harrison-ashby.13222/

I must say though, we've had this before where a player we loaned was rubbish and came good after, Gyökeres is one :)

Edited by Groo

It's a bit of a stupid deal for Bayern though, es out of form, he'll be cup tied and Mukiele is outstanding, will he even get a game

16 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Aye. It’s getting far too much traction in the media. Maybe they are just story starved but something about this feels serious.  

I don’t blame him for wanting the deal tbh. Probs got 2.5 years maximum left in his career, no major emotional tie to us. Likely no Europe here next year and a chance for easy trophies and to play with his old spurs mates again

3 minutes ago, huss9 said:

no brainer if its close to £30m.

It won't be anywhere near that for a 33 year old. Pretty sure other than Ronaldo nobody at that age has ever gone for anywhere near that kind of fee.

If we got 10-15 we'd have done very well.