Kieran Trippier 'hopefully back soon' (Howe)

Yorkie

47 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

It would probably hurt us in the short term, but sometimes there's a smart time to sell.

Trippier has been instrumental in turning us around and is a leader in the group, so I would worry about his departure. But if we keep him, what's the plan next season? If Trippier is number 1 then not only does it hold Tino back, but chances are Trippier's performances start to drop with age while his wages don't. If he's number 2 or rotating, then his wages are just too high to be a bit-part player. We could give those wages to someone who starts every game and improves the first XI not just now but hopefully for years to come. Whether we keep or sell, Trippier's time as a top player is limited.

You need a squad, but with FFP we're not allowed anywhere near the same spend as the Sky 6. We're going to have to make these types of difficult decisions and the key is is all about timing. We could hang onto him too long and end up with a high earner whose legs are going and limited interest from clubs that can afford his wages.

If we were touch and go for 4th right now, this would be a much harder decision. There is more of an argument to think a bit longer term now with the way this season has gone.

Great post. Instrumental in our turnaround but it’s the kind of bold decision that FFP forces that might mean we let him go. I had a patient in the other day who was ex police and appeared to be fairly ITK with Mag links. Decent bloke, didn’t come across like a bullshitter but who knows if there was any truth in it. Either way he was saying we were actively trying to move Tripper, Lascelles and Almiron on this window. 

Having Tino and Krafth as RB options and using Trippiers wages and any transfer fee on forward options or other areas might be what they’re leaning towards. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

1 minute ago, Chicane said:

I'm OOTL I guess but do we hate Craig Hope now? :lol:

Wasn't he #ourguy for a while cause of his anti-Bruce stance? Or maybe that was someone else

Aye, he bought a lot of goodwill with fans for being one of the few journalists to cast a critical eye on Bruce. 

2 minutes ago, Chicane said:

I'm OOTL I guess but do we hate Craig Hope now? :lol:

Wasn't he #ourguy for a while cause of his anti-Bruce stance? Or maybe that was someone else

He was never my guy.  Two cunts don’t make a right. 

1 minute ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Never mind any personal  rumours.

It's Bayern Munich, one of the top elite clubs in Europe.

As much as I Iove Newcastle, I think every players head would be turned if they were interested! 

It's probs his last chance to win a trophy as well.  Still be gutted if he goes.

7 minutes ago, duo said:

It's probs his last chance to win a trophy as well.  Still be gutted if he goes.

This 100%, I mean it’s literally the reason Kane went there in the summer too. Although Leverkusen seem to be throwing a spanner in the works currently

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Possibly losing Wilson, Trippier & Lascelles in this window. That's a lot of leadership, experience and character.

That would be this season finished for good imho.

Just now, Sima said:

Will spew if losing Lascelles and Trippier leads to Dan Burn being captain.

Why? :lol: 

He doesn't half pick up some unnecessary flack does wor Burny.

24 minutes ago, Sima said:

Will spew if losing Lascelles and Trippier leads to Dan Burn being captain.

Only if it meant it was under the condition of him always starting and playing 89 mins per game 

25 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Just doesn’t scream long term.  You’d be changing captains again within a few years.

Guest reefatoon
26 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

[emoji38] It’s crazy 

10 minutes ago, Sima said:

Just doesn’t scream long term.  You’d be changing captains again within a few years.

That's fair enough but we've demonstrated with Lascelles that you can have a club captain that doesn't even feature that much. I think he's the obvious candidate for that role should Lascelles move on at some point (I'd be surprised if he left now tbh).

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That's fair enough but we've demonstrated with Lascelles that you can have a club captain that doesn't even feature that much. I think he's the obvious candidate for that role should Lascelles move on at some point (I'd be surprised if he left now tbh).

Burn or Longstaff. Bruno would be my choice because he’s a leader and absolute heartbeat of the side but depends on appetite to make someone captain with a clearly flagged and publicised release clause on their contract.