Kieran Trippier: sidelined until late April (Hope)

Yorkie

Wanting an alternative to take free kicks makes total sense, but calling him shit at them and permanently removing him is ridiculous hyperbole and definitely controversial. There's something deeper wrong with our set plays than the deliveries at the moment.

They’re a small side and the delivery was either short or awful. Takes an age taking every one regardless of the score. Took about 30 seconds taking a throw in about a minute after moaning about them taking less time when they were killing it. Does me in.

Close to tears in his post match interview. 

The club means the world to us, but it feels like some of the players have a similar connection.  Fuck man. Hope we can start picking up wins again, for them as well as us. 

Would actually consider giving Manquillo a game in one of the upcoming fixtures. Would offer something different in attack and was one of our better players in the FA cup fixture (not saying a whole lot, I know). Most importantly though, maybe the rest would rejuvenate Trippier. 

14 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Would actually consider giving Manquillo a game in one of the upcoming fixtures. Would offer something different in attack and was one of our better players in the FA cup fixture (not saying a whole lot, I know). Most importantly though, maybe the rest would rejuvenate Trippier. 

Wouldn't mind seeing Manquillo come in and sticking Trippier on the left tbh. Not something I thought I'd say this season but we just seem so desperate for something different. 

13 hours ago, Wilson said:

Close to tears in his post match interview. 

The club means the world to us, but it feels like some of the players have a similar connection.  Fuck man. Hope we can start picking up wins again, for them as well as us. 

Aye.  I think it was @Kid Icarus who mentioned it in the cup final thread.  But it feels like with some of this squad, it is getting close to the end for them here or towards the end of their careers in general.  Not saying Trippier is there yet, of course.  But when I looked down at full time yesterday.  There were plenty on the pitch who would probably be playing in their last or only final for us, possibly anyone else.  

I've disliked so many players of ours over the years and got so apathetic under MA.  I probably wouldn't have given a shit or been such a soppy twat.  But genuinely felt sad for these multi millionaire footballers :lol: as they are a likeable bunch and they all seem to care and fight for the shirt and the badge. 

1 minute ago, Sempiternal said:

For a team with massive height and someone who can deliver the ball like Trips it’s mind blowing how bad we are on set pieces 

It's gotten to the point that I'm just fucked off with Burn :lol: Feels like he's missed (not even forced a save) about 5 relatively point blank headers this season.

Just now, Gallowgate Toon said:

It's gotten to the point that I'm just fucked off with Burn :lol: Feels like he's missed (not even forced a save) about 5 relatively point blank headers this season.

Never seen a guy his height be so bad in the air, it’s absolutely crazy to watch. Like seeing a giant NBA player who can’t dunk. 

Just now, pubteam said:

Not one of our players is good at heading the ball, we have the second most corners in the premier League and I can't even remember the last time we scored from a corner.

Leicester away, boxing day I think? 

Joelinton. Unless I've forgot one. Your point still stands though, it's something that needs addressing 

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Trippier is way to important to how we set up to be resting.

That's a fair point, although I think how we're setting up may be part of the problem at this point tbh. The lopsided full backs, similar patterns of play with Almiron/Trippier and attempting to work opportunities from that side of the pitch rather than finding other avenues of attack (especially through the middle) is producing diminishing returns and has been for some time. 

29 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

At least 5, maybe closer to 8. If he and one or two others had buried a decent portion of the chances they've had from Trippier lately, I don't think there would be so much disquiet about his set pieces.

Again, I recognise they aren't as lethal as they were, but Trippier isn't responsible for set piece coaching and heading practice so far as I know, so there's only so much blame we can attach to him.

1 minute ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Ironically the only decent player we have at attacking headers is Lascelles.

One thing I’ve learnt this year more than ever is that height makes you good in the air defensively but means fuck all going forwards unless you’ve learnt to attack the ball properly