Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

33 years old and getting more money than we paid for him, I would take it if he wants to go. Selling him would give us the ability to spend £35m on a player paying the same £120k a week wages. 

1 minute ago, mattypnufc said:

We paid £25m for Wood for a season 😂

Yes but he was 4 years younger and we were desperate, I doubt they are.

46 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think he’ll go this window 

I don't. I'd be surprised if Bayern are prepared to go any higher than what they've already bid.

I hope it does happen though, he's still a fantastic footballer, but we need the money to spend on other positions.

38 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

What the minimum bid before we'd consider letting him leave?

There's no realistic bid that's worth it. For me it would be like £40m to make it worth doing which is obviously not realistic and from my perspective the exact point.

56 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

If he wants out its a sell, but all reports coming out suggest hes not pushing for a move at all.

Got to protect that loyalty bonus!.

At the end of the day he is an employee of the club, if the club decides it wants a different employee then so be it, but if it doesn't work out they will get pelters from everyone.

As others have said I don't want to loose him but we have got to learn to trust the new owners after years of the Ashley Stockholm syndrome.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

There's no realistic bid that's worth it. For me it would be like £40m to make it worth doing which is obviously not realistic and from my perspective the exact point.

RB is about the only area we have plenty of cover in. Tino, Krafth and Ashby to come back as well. We'd be getting back what we paid for him and I think he wants to go.

3 minutes ago, Beth said:

RB is about the only area we have plenty of cover in. Tino, Krafth and Ashby to come back as well. We'd be getting back what we paid for him and I think he wants to go.

Stop the Ashby cover talk. Hes not ready at all, and I dont think he ever will be. 

Edited by nufc123

4 minutes ago, Beth said:

What we paid for him was a joke, he's one of the best RBs in the world, regardless of age, one of the best assisters and chance creators in the league, and essentially our captain. All of the fees mentioned are a pittance.

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

In normal circumstances where we didn't have FFP and we had unlimited resources then I'd agree just refuse any bid until it got to stupid money.

However our theoretical infinite resources are artificially limited by the restrictions in place. We need to sell players to keep moving forward and to keep signing players, otherwise we are going to be hamstrung. From an accounting perspective even a £20 million sale can unlock significant investment in the transfer market. This is why we have to consider selling aging players, even if they're influential like Trippier is.

By the time next season starts he is 34. I'm convinced it would look like a good sale in hindsight if it went through, even if painful in the short term.

Edited by ponsaelius

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

It's interesting how few people question / insult Luke Edwards when he tweets something we like.

Let me restore some balance.

The bald pervert can piss off.

2 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Stop the Ashby cover talk. Hes not ready at all, and I dont think he ever will be. 

He'd be 3rd choice anyway ffs.

5 minutes ago, MagMal said:

Got to protect that loyalty bonus!.

At the end of the day he is an employee of the club, if the club decides it wants a different employee then so be it, but if it doesn't work out they will get pelters from everyone.

As others have said I don't want to loose him but we have got to learn to trust the new owners after years of the Ashley Stockholm syndrome.

If he is desperate he can always take the Modric route.

We seemed to have rejected this bid almost immediately; it’s clear we have a figure in mind which we will let him go for, and not a penny less, I guess it’s in the 16-20 million pounds region

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

It's interesting how few people question / insult Luke Edwards when he tweets something we like.

Is it something we like? I bet plenty would sell. 

It's probably more he's presenting the party line (along with other outlets) without being an antagonistic tit. His hit rate for exclusives is still pretty woeful.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Is it something we like? I bet plenty would sell. 

It's probably more he's presenting the party line (along with other outlets) without being an antagonistic tit. His hit rate for exclusives is still pretty woeful.

Good question. My assumption and read is that most on here prefer him to stay but understand the money side if he goes; some (fewer) think it's time to cash in. To me, this Summer feels like the earliest plausible time to move him on. I don't think the club has any intention of writing the season off and he's an automatic starter. 

Yes but if Livramento gets injured he cant be relied on. Krafth is gone in the summer.

By the summer we would have the funds to buy another RB prospect if we feel we have to.

Just now, nufc123 said:

Stop the Ashby cover talk. Hes not ready at all, and i dont think he ever will be. 

"Not ready" is such an understatement. Lad is 22 and can't even get a regular game for Swansea :lol:

I wouldn't worry from a sporting perspective if we sold Trippier. Krafth is adequate cover for the rest of the season, and then his contract expires which allows us to get cover for Livramento in the summer.

I'm more worried about what we lose out on with not having Trippier here off the field, but then again, if the plan isn't to include him in backroom staff set up after his contract expires, we would only have one season left with him anyway so might as well plan for the future now.

Yes but if Livramento gets injured he cant be relied on. Krafth is gone in the summer.

We could offer him another year, we've done it with older useless deadwood like Ritchie and Dummett.

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Good question. My assumption and read is that most on here prefer him to stay but understand the money side if he goes; some (fewer) think it's time to cash in. To me, this Summer feels like the earliest plausible time to move him on. I don't think the club has any intention of writing the season off and he's an automatic starter. 

My view is that if we don't want to write the season off we need to bring in at least one midfielder, and the only way we can do that is to sell. Whether that's Trips or Miggy. Or both.