Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, duo said:

One of the most transformative signings we have made and I am going to be sad to see him go.  Like others I thought he would retire at the club / become part of the coaching staff.  It is not just what he brings on the pitch it's also what he brings on it.  You can see he leads by example and other players in the squad definitely upped their game when he arrived.  And I do worry about the huge whole he is going to leave in the dressing room - yes Jamal is the club captain but Tripps is the leader. He is the one who has done it at the top level and who the squad clearly look up to.  £15mil may sound a lot for a 33 year old but for what he brings to the team - to me - it sound very cheap. I understand why he wants to go and I assume provided they receive what they deem a fair market value the club will not stand in his way.   But this will be a huge loss to the club.

Agreed, yet the club will move on. 

4 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Still think selling him is akin to robbing Peter to pay Paul 

I don’t necessarily think that’s what is driving a move.  Both player and club may judge it’s for the best.  Howe might think that he has the opportunity now to really bed Livramento in - and an ageing Trippier has one last crack at a big trophy.  Plus we bring some money in.

Happy to be wrong on the above, but I doubt any sale would be ‘FFP-driven’.  We’d only get a tiny FFP profit on Trippier. 

edit: again, to be clear I don’t want Trippier to go.  But I’ll back Howe 100% on what he wants to do with the squad - and Trippier will always be a top player and gadgie in my mind now whatever happens

Edited by TheBrownBottle

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Conference league would be great.  

More revenue. More coefficient. Would start as favourites most likely. 

Need Liverpool to win the league cup mind. 

Well if Chelsea finish 7th plus that would be the same.

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I don’t necessarily think that’s what is driving a move.  Both player and club may judge it’s for the best.  Howe might think that he has the opportunity now to really bed Livramento in - and an ageing Trippier has one last crack at a big trophy.  Plus we bring some money in.

Happy to be wrong on the above, but I doubt any sale would be ‘FFP-driven’.  We’d only get a tiny FFP profit on Trippier. 

edit: again, to be clear I don’t want Trippier to go.  But I’ll back Howe 100% on what he wants to do with the squad - and Trippier will always be a top player and gadgie in my mind now whatever happens

Is it about profit, on a player? Or the (one piece of the jigsaw) financial flexibility the sale offers? Genuine question. 

1 hour ago, duo said:

I think if Tripps goes it is because he wants to go and the club don't want to stand in his way.

Pretty convinced of this to, it’ll be up to the player. I just can’t see how we’d agree to sell a crucial player mid season unless we felt obliged to, what we’d gain in FFP wiggle room doesn’t balance out the loss on the field/dressing room for me.

Edited by Nine

16 minutes ago, duo said:

I think if Tripps goes it is because he wants to go and the club don't want to stand in his way.

I think if he goes it's because he's going to turn 34 soon and because of FFP/PSR we can't afford to keep holding onto depreciating assets. Nothing to do with his ability, he's still a fantastic player.

14 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Is it about profit, on a player? Or the (one piece of the jigsaw) financial flexibility the sale offers? Genuine question. 

It would be more about financial flexibility I would assume - I don’t think the current owners would be bothered about a couple of million in actual profits on players.  It’s more the accounting flexibility within the confines of FFP.  But if we are selling Almiron, I doubt we have any concerns on that front. 

So I’ve just been speaking with the same people who gave me the info about Tripps last week (without going into too much detail, for obvious reasons, it’s very close to the horses mouth)…

They reiterated:

- he has no specific desire to leave, loves NUFC and the area.

- various family members have just moved up into the area.

- NUFC have told him that they don’t want him to leave either and aren’t actively trying to sell him.

But…

- Bayern are definitely pushing to make it happen, and there seems to be a growing sense that he may have to make a decision should a bid come in that’s too good to turn down.

Basically, exactly what I was told last week, except with an edge of worry that it may be reaching a stage where things could change.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

So I’ve just been speaking with the same people who gave me the info about Tripps last week (without going into too much detail, for obvious reasons, it’s very close to the horses mouth)…

They reiterated:

- NUFC have told him that they don’t want him to leave either and aren’t actively trying to sell him.

But…

- Bayern are definitely pushing to make it happen, and there seems to be a growing sense that he may have to make a decision should a bid come in that’s too good to turn down.

Basically, exactly what I was told last week, except with an edge of worry that it may be reaching a stage where things could change.

If the lad wants to stay Bayern can offer the moon and a few planets but he doesn't have to talk to them.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

They reiterated:

But…

Dead easy then.  NUFC reject the bids, nowt happens.  For some reason Bayern has it in their head that he might join.

Also, aren’t signing-on fees nice?

It seems clear to me that the club is stockpiling in certain positions so they can sell players on to fund improvement at other positions.  We have Tripps, Tino, Krafth, and Ashby for RB.  It makes total sense to sell an aging player to free up playing time for a younger player, free up FFP wiggle room, and use the money to improve another position.

7 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

They reiterated:

But…

Thanks for sharing with us what you’ve learned. 

Understand both views on keeping or flogging him but I think it’ll make us far less robust on the pitch and for off the field unity if he is pied. As well as the wider picture as selling your captain but as many have said we need to be canny sellers for once. 

What a pointless post. :lol:

Just now, Disco said:

Understand both views on keeping or flogging him but I think it’ll make us far less robust on the pitch and for off the field unity if he is pied. As well as the wider picture as selling your captain but as many have said we need to be canny sellers for once. 

What a pointless post. :lol:

Pointless and bang on, what a world we live in :lol:

7 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

He'll be sound enough to say "If you want to sell me for the money then I'll go", I reckon. 

True, although if agrees to leave when he goes home to the lass he might find the locks have been changed.

There’s this assumption that people seem to be running with that our hands are tied and we NEED to sell to balance FFP, yet we are signing 18 year olds from Man City for fees? Or the plan is to get rid of our depreciating assets (Trippier is hardly) mid season? Doesn’t make sense.

I still think it’s nothing more than Bayern pushing for it and seeing what happens on the players side.

Edited by Nine

Do you think PIF may have insisted on the sale of the Vermont Hotel players regardless of ffp?

If so expect a few more surprises out the door alongside Tripps.