Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Overjoyed he stays. Football for me is so much about the sentimentality and sense of belonging that keeping people like him brings, even at the expense of progress. I know it's daft, I can't help it. 

I don’t think keeping him stunts any progress at all, he’s pretty much indispensable for the short/mid term and it would be especially silly to sell mid season. We’ve all got good reason to be pleased he’s staying.

Edited by Nine

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Good, hopefully Trippier is staying for the duration.

I can’t imagine anyone wanted him gone. 

Apart from some in this place.

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Overjoyed he stays. Football for me is so much about the sentimentality and sense of belonging that keeping people like him brings, even at the expense of progress. I know it's daft, I can't help it. 

That's going to be the ffp world I fear unless something is done. Seems every move football makes goes away from romance.

Edited by Jonas

Would've taken an absolutely ridiculous amount of money for me to have been fine with this transfer. Talks of £10-15m was an absolute joke for me.

Obviously 'no one is paying more for a 33 year old full back', well if that's the case you simply don't get the best performing RB in Europe. He's been so vital for us since coming here, and I'm over the moon that we've told Bayern to fuck off and the he's staying 

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Honestly, I didn’t see anyone happy at the prospect of him going

Not happy, but not to fussed either. Been excellent here overall, but is getting "old" and has shown some weakness lately. Not that sentimental about him myself, would be more sad to see Miggy go.

18 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Not happy, but not to fussed either. Been excellent here overall, but is getting "old" and has shown some weakness lately. Not that sentimental about him myself, would be more sad to see Miggy go.

I’m not a great sentimentalist when it comes to players being transferred in and out - it’s the nature of the game.  I’m aware that I do have a Pedro Corinthian figure as my avatar mind :)

I’m happy to retain good players, but it should be the manager’s choice.   As long as any sale is done in the manager’s judgement for the best of the club then I’ve no issue - no player is ‘unsellable’ for me

3 hours ago, Nobody said:

Would've taken an absolutely ridiculous amount of money for me to have been fine with this transfer. Talks of £10-15m was an absolute joke for me.

Obviously 'no one is paying more for a 33 year old full back', well if that's the case you simply don't get the best performing RB in Europe. He's been so vital for us since coming here, and I'm over the moon that we've told Bayern to fuck off and the he's staying 

Aye. "We won't get £20m for him so we should sell him for £12m". 

Erm, how about we just keep him instead?

My favourite part of the whole saga was Lothar Mattaus of all people going on about Trippier’s age - beautifully ironic, given how old Mattaus was when he last played for Bayern.  I know Mattaus was a far better player, but still …

As someone else posted, it’s hilarious how they’ve acted after withdrawing. “We never fancied you anyway, we were just asking you out for a laugh and were going to reject you if you said yes, you slag”

13 hours ago, Joe1984 said:

All we need now is for Trippier to say he wants to leave. Then the NUFC circus can continue.

(Please don't Kieran!) 

Even if he wanted to, we would probably just tell him that he can go in the summer instead. It's hard to reinvest and/or replace someone in january. I'm sure he would understand that.

Edited by Erikse

9 minutes ago, Conjo said:

My hope of him joining our backroom staff when his contract expires end of next season lives on :thup:

Couldn't agree more. of all the squad members, why wouldn't we aim to keep him and then integrate him into the backroom staff. It's not like his resale value is going to solve our FFP position and you would think he would really add value to the coaching staff.