Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

7 hours ago, TomYam said:

I'm just old enough to remember the tail end of David Craig's career with us - and he set the gold standard prior to Trippier. The two guys that followed DC were good quality too - Irving Nattrass and John Brownlie.

Tripps is something else again, though, and has been absolutely crucial in our transformation.

My lass's dad has Craig in his all time XI but he adores Trippier. I'll have to ask him if Trippier makes the cut yet.

52 minutes ago, CPL said:

Was Trippier this good at spurs? I honestly didn't think he was that good until I saw in the black and white. He is the perfect leader for our revolution. 

His year in Madrid has made him a better player imo. I would say this is his best season in the Premier League.

1 hour ago, CPL said:

Was Trippier this good at spurs? I honestly didn't think he was that good until I saw in the black and white. He is the perfect leader for our revolution. 

I'm pretty sure he admitted he had a rough time at Spurs on True Geordies podcast then learnt a lot and improved while he was at Madrid. I was happy when we got him but didn't realise he was this good tbh. Provides so much quality going forward and is a real leader

I avoided club football for about 10 years but watched England in tournaments. A year prior to going to Madrid, I saw him in the 2018 world cup campaign and he was England's player of the tournament for me. I thought he was magnificent. It was the only real time I saw him play prior to coming to us, but based off that I was very excited to have him sign, and he's only exceeded my hopes since then.

I've seen him speak a bit about his time at Spurs and it sounds like the club was on the turn in his last year there, through losing Dembele to injury and such. It does sound like it was a formative time for Trippier though, in terms of him absorbing what was going on and adding to his understanding of the game. So it probably meant he was well-primed to then make the most of his experience at Atletico, which we're now benefiting from.

4 hours ago, LV said:

I quite liked Marc Hottiger in the 90s. Swiss international 

Yes he replaced Venison but lasted only a season before Barton replaced him. A bit of a sideways upgrade really.

15 minutes ago, Beth said:

Yes he replaced Venison but lasted only a season before Barton replaced him. A bit of a sideways upgrade really.

If we'd kept Hottiger and Watson and say spent the £4m Barton money on Southgate before he went to Villa and starred at Euro 96 we'd have been champions.

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

My lass's dad has Craig in his all time XI but he adores Trippier. I'll have to ask him if Trippier makes the cut yet.

David Craig was outstanding both in defence and initiating an attack. He was fast and athletic, but his career was increasingly blighted by injury and he missed both the '74 and '76 Cup Finals. 

Tripps is probably not as strong defensively, but his leadership and dead ball game probably give him the edge. 

Sadly we've only got KT for the tail end of his career, while DC was a one club player.

We got Tripps late but he's our new standard for the position. The next guy will be younger and of a similar potential. We're fucking massive from now on, no more flukes in a sea of shite.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If we'd kept Hottiger and Watson and say spent the £4m Barton money on Southgate before he went to Villa and starred at Euro 96 we'd have been champions.

Perhaps, Southgate was better than Peacock, though I suspect if we'd spent it on a GK we'd have been guaranteed it.  It's worth remembering that our defence wasn't awful; it was our forwards and midfielders who completely lost form in the second half of the season (Ginola, Beardsley, Lee, Ferdinand, Gillespie - none played particularly well after NYD).

Christ, the abuse Barton got that first season or two.  He was a waste of that fee (I'm trying to remember - was he a world record fee for a defender, or just for a full back?) - but he's also clearly a top gadgie, so I do feel bad about that.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Perhaps, Southgate was better than Peacock, though I suspect if we'd spent it on a GK we'd have been guaranteed it.  It's worth remembering that our defence wasn't awful; it was our forwards and midfielders who completely lost form in the second half of the season (Ginola, Beardsley, Lee, Ferdinand, Gillespie - none played particularly well after NYD).

Christ, the abuse Barton got that first season or two.  He was a waste of that fee (I'm trying to remember - was he a world record fee for a defender, or just for a full back?) - but he's also clearly a top gadgie, so I do feel bad about that.

We could have had Southgate & Martyn from Palace after their relegation for about £1m more than we spent on Barton & Hislop.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We could have had Southgate & Martyn from Palace after their relegation for about £1m more than we spent on Barton & Hislop.

Yeah, that's right.  Bloody hell.  KK really should have let someone else buy defenders and keepers for him ...

19 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Having two mediocre keepers didn't help like.