Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

21 minutes ago, midds said:

I get the fact he's 33 and will need to be moved n at some point but this window is absolutely not the right time. We're on the bones of our arse and it's felt like it's been held together with sellotape for the last few months. Selling one of the lynchpins of the entire squad both on and off the park for a poxy £15m or whatever seems like the worst deal going. It's nearly February, surely he can stay until May and see it out here? If he wants to move on and we can replace him with a bit of time to figure it all out then we absolutely should do that. 

If it was Almiron I'd drive him there myself. Tripps is a different kettle of fish completely, he stays until the moment to sell him benefits us rather than hinders us

To sell Tripper for a fee that represents a positive risk/return would require a high-value buyer in need or a short-ish term fix, which Bayern are. There's no guarantees there's a market for that in the summer. Likewise, there appears to be no market right now for an Almiron, who I would also much rather sell. I agree there's obvious downsides, and I don't have the data to make a confident decision, but I tend towards doing it. 

Edited by Jagten

44 minutes ago, Nine said:

This isn’t a fact, please look at the data and you’ll change your mind. We are consistently progressive down the right side, +8 assists from Trippier alone. Of course some of them are from set pieces.

Serious question - how many of those assists came in the past 10 games, say?(I don’t actually know the answer to this, I’m just assuming). And how many of them involved a dynamic move with Almiron in the exchange?

If my assumption is correct, that creative outlet isn’t as creative as it was at the start of the season, and with every injury, he becomes less effective, we become more toothless, easier to play against and more at risk of total season collapse.

If I’m wrong, and Trippier has still been our most creative player even in the past 10 games, I apologise. But I still believe sacrificing him is worth it, if we can sign another dimension elsewhere. 

Pretty unscientific way to answer my own question, but looking at Fantasy Premier League, Trippier got over 2 points once in the past 10 games, and that was 12 points against ManUre. 

Edited by Holmesy

Just now, TRon said:

Don't get me wrong, if he leaves we are definitely going to be a worse side for it. I just think the club will look at long term over short and they won't want to miss out on a significant transfer fee while they can still get it. Especially considering we desperately need a midfielder.

Anyway, my gut feeling is that we won't get enough to make it worthwhile anyway so he'll still be here for the rest of the season. I'll be happy enough with that as well, I do like having good players at the club.

We're pretty much on the same page then. What the club decide to do and what I would do may not be the same and if they decide they want to cash in then it'll happen and we'll all just have to deal with it but it would be a mistake, just in my opinion :thup:

We do need players in other areas but it's cutting your nose off eyes out to spite your face. Trippier is more than just a 33 year old RB in this squad and to this dressing room 

It's a gamble if we let him go. The bigger worry is him being Bayerns backup and having to wait to windows end to see if it happens or not. We simply can't afford to do that and miss out on other targets.

42 minutes ago, Slim said:

Way he's playing ATM not much but I get the point.

You could say that about quite many of our players. Not many who comes out with much dignity after the last month or so. Gordon, Isak and Bruno in some games. Thats about it.

Edited by nufc123

8 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Serious question - how many of those assists came in the past 10 games, say?(I don’t actually know the answer to this, I’m just assuming). And how many of them involved a dynamic move with Almiron in the exchange?

If my assumption is correct, that creative outlet isn’t as creative as it was at the start of the season, and with every injury we become more toothless, easier to play against and more at risk of total season collapse.

If I’m wrong, and Trippier has still been out most creative player even in the past 10 games, I apologise. But I still believe sacrificing him is worth it, if we can sign another dimension elsewhere. 

The issue with using the last 10 games is that its a small sample size and would be during the worst of our fitness issues. You cant make decisions based on that run as it doesn’t represent the side as a whole, and every aspect of our play has suffered since the injuries piled up not just our attacking outlets.

Let’s be real, Trippier especially has had a pretty horrific run of form lately but it’s silly to let that skew what he has consistently shown he delivers for us.

Edited by Nine

12 minutes ago, Jagten said:

To sell Tripper for a fee that represents a positive risk/return would require a high-value buyer in need or a short-ish term fix, which Bayern are. There's no guarantees there's a market for that in the summer. Likewise, there appears to be no market right now for an Almiron, who I would also much rather sell. I agree there's obvious downsides, and I don't have the data to make a confident decision, but I tend towards doing it. 

Unless the fee is ridiculous then it's a bad deal for us. Bayern value him at maybe £10m ish but that's tiny to his value to us right now. We need him on and off the park to get through from now until the end of the season, the discrepancy between his 'worth' to Bayern compared to us is huge. we'd lose so much at such a critical time of a very important season, it's just not worth it. What's an extra £6m if you fall 2 places down the League as a result of weakening the team and squad and losing your captain

The way I see it, its win-win.

Scenario 1: Trippier leaves, we probably get something like 12-16m for him, plus a tonne of wages off our books for a 33 (34 soon) year old and that gives a fair amount of FFP wriggle room.

Scenario 2: He stays, probably doesn't leave us at all in the summer (for Bayern it will be now or never IMO) and we've still got a great player with loads of experience in the squad.

All depends to me if he is pushing for the transfer. If he is then off he fucks and it's the same with Ashworth or anyone else who wants to leave, you don't want to keep people at the club who would rather not be. The club is bigger than any individual 

Edited by et tu brute

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

All depends to me if he is pushing for the transfer. If he is then off he fucks and it's the same with Ashworth or anyone else who wants to leave.!you don't want to keep people at the club who would rather not be. The club is bigger than any individual 

It’s the club policy so wouldn’t worry. Obviously the deal has to be right for the club but hierarchy have made it clear they don’t want anyone here who doesn’t want to be here.

It would genuinely be mental to get rid.

Aside from the obvious playing benefits, what he brings off the field is irreplaceable (unless there's been goings on behind the scenes).

25 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

If my assumption is correct, that creative outlet isn’t as creative as it was at the start of the season, and with every injury, he becomes less effective, we become more toothless, easier to play against and more at risk of total season collapse.

If I’m wrong, and Trippier has still been our most creative player even in the past 10 games, I apologise. But I still believe sacrificing him is worth it, if we can sign another dimension elsewhere. 

Pretty unscientific way to answer my own question, but looking at Fantasy Premier League, Trippier got over 2 points once in the past 10 games, and that was 12 points against ManUre. 

We have been chasing shadows for the last 10 games. Manu is last game we won in the league and Trippier was on fire. Yes he has done some weird mistakes, but I dont think you can judge Trippier on the last 10.

13 minutes ago, Nine said:

The issue with using the last 10 games is that its a small sample size and would be during the worst of our fitness issues. You cant make decisions based on that run as it doesn’t represent the side as a whole, and every aspect of our play has suffered since the injuries piled up not just our attacking outlets.

Let’s be real, Trippier especially has had a pretty horrific run of form lately but it’s silly to let that skew what he has consistently shown he delivers for us.

Agreed, to an extent. But this post was in response to a comment saying we have been consistently progressive down the right hand side, which isn’t actually true. In fact, we’ve been fairly easy to tame down the right and Trippier has single handedly cost us goals and games.

That absolutely isn’t a reflection on his whole time here, and it would be grossly unfair to say otherwise. But in our current state, for whatever reason, he isn’t our best creative outlet. And maybe, for that reason, the management team feel sacrificing him for investment elsewhere is a risk worth taking 🤷🏻‍♂️

Please ... for those concerned, the team is not going to fall to pieces because Trippier is no longer in it. Stop it.

Besides if he goes I'm pretty sure it will be with a view to bringing players in this window.

40 minutes ago, toon25 said:

It would genuinely be mental to get rid.

Aside from the obvious playing benefits, what he brings off the field is irreplaceable (unless there's been goings on behind the scenes).

As if there aren't a bunch of experienced top characters in the side.

Come on folks. Please stop all this.

Edited by KaKa

Just now, KaKa said:

Come in folks. Please stop all this.

We literally have a senior player group, of which Trippier is just one. It’s not a secret

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Come on in folks. Please stop all this.

Like Paully D and Ritchie?

Come on man.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

No, others are allowed opinions as well. 

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Please ... for those concerned, the team is not going to fall to pieces because Trippier is no longer in it. Stop it.

Do I believe there is a life after Trippier? Yes. But for 2 years now he has been our most important player along with Bruno when we have the ball. Thats quite significant. 

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I'm actually pretty sure you understand the problem people are having with selling our skipper, our #1 leader, and also one of our best players.

10 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Besides if he goes I'm pretty sure it will be with a view to bringing players in this window.

Not sure anyone is suggesting that it would be the end of the world? There’s upsides to him staying or leaving, and it will ultimately come down to the player.

If Bayern are after him then it's going to be hard for him to not really want the move tbh.

Genuine chance to win the CL, you'd have to think. And right in the hunt for a Bundesliga title or two over the next couple of years or however long he goes there.

Couldn't really blame him.

To be fair, I agree with both sides of the argument. It would definitely hurt us short term, but I can also see why the club might be alright with him leaving.

Personally, unless the fee is too good to turn down (£20 millon plus), I'd keep him.