Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

My guess is that the wife and kids have probably remained in Newcastle and Trips would like to live a little after the breakup.. preferably without the whole city talking every time he shags a bird..

Eddie and Trips are close, so I think we'll let him go if he really wants to go to Turkey.

Edited by junkhead

23 hours ago, TRon said:

It seems weird how much of a drop in form Trippier had over the last year or so. It's not like it was just a blip, basically all last season the set piece threat disappeared, and while he's still a good player, he basically made our right side tick in his previous two seasons. Even without the goals a lot of our great football came from his side.

Despite being injured for pretty much the last 2 months of the season he still finished last season with joint third most assists in the whole league whilst playing right back.

I know he had a dodgy December and January and he had set extremely high standards previously but I struggle with how easily the narrative has stuck that he was shite all of last season.

1 hour ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Despite being injured for pretty much the last 2 months of the season he still finished last season with joint third most assists in the whole league whilst playing right back.

I know he had a dodgy December and January and he had set extremely high standards previously but I struggle with how easily the narrative has stuck that he was shite all of last season.

I wanted us to move him on all summer for cost reasons. Don’t want him to go now as I think it’d leave us very thin at the back.

You’re right he wasn’t bad all season; before mid-November he was on course to be in the PL Team of the Season.

But 7 of his 11 assists (all comps) came in a 30 day stretch from late Sept. to October starting with three at Sheffield United. The other four are still more than Tino fwiw.

4 hours ago, Displayname said:

Murphy has also played RB on desperate occasions. Not optimal by any means, but its not like we are fucked if Trippier leaves.

Lol

You can’t say we aren’t fucked on the basis Murphy can play there. Trying to get CL football with Murphy as the RB would be a disaster.

1 hour ago, WilliamPS said:

Lol

You can’t say we aren’t fucked on the basis Murphy can play there. Trying to get CL football with Murphy as the RB would be a disaster.

I really dont think he is THAT bad at RB. He would only be a 3rd choice and in any realistic scenario only play a few games before we could find a replacement in January. But sure, if Tino and Krafth got long term injuries the day after Trippier left things arent going to be looking good.

Edited by Displayname

16 hours ago, jack j said:

Why would he go to Turkey though?

Saudi for the money fair enough

Or everton to be closer to his kids (rumours )

Doesn't make sense Why he'd be desperate to leave to go to Turkey?

He wants a longer deal.

We defo shouldn't let him go at this stage imo, but he wants to go so the rumours won't go away unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

He needs to remember. He was just a Vice Captain and still is. 

Exactly this. Amazing how badly this has been reported despite EH making it quite clear. 

9 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

He needs to remember. He was just a Vice Captain and still is. 

He was captain on the pitch and captain in all but name, just as Bruno is now. No point in getting into pedantics imo. 

Having the captaincy taken off you is strange like, especially considering how good a leader Trippier has been. 

Worth noting this fwiw:

Howe may have miscalculated the significance of the captaincy for Trippier, who was said to be hurt by the downgrade in status, but the right-back has continued to drive standards and act with the utmost professionalism, as the head coach predicted.

While he has been warming up during matches, Trippier has been providing advice and essentially coaching players from the sidelines, including speaking regularly with Livramento, despite the younger man taking his place in the side.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

He was captain on the pitch and captain in all but name, just as Bruno is now. No point in getting into pedantics imo. 

Having the captaincy taken off you is strange like, especially considering how good a leader Trippier has been. 

Well it's the same as it was for Lascelles, he is no longer put first choice RB, so Howe has given it to someone who will start every (league) game when fit. Nothing strange about that at all. 

Just now, Nobody said:

Well it's the same as it was for Lascelles, he is no longer put first choice RB, so Howe has given it to someone who will start every (league) game when fit. Nothing strange about that at all. 

Well it would be a bit weird if this is still your expectation yeah. 

It is harsh but also our main captain probably should be on the pitch most the time and trippier is definitely being eased away from automatic starting (even if he will start a lot). It's well harsh but long term I don't think it will diminish his standing internally, we have been a club with a lot of good leaders internally, which stemmed from Rafa instilling it somewhat and then Bruce era when the players had to step up cos the coach was sure as hell not going to bother

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Well it would be a bit weird if this is still your expectation yeah. 

You expecting KT to be first choice this season?

7 minutes ago, LFEE said:

You expecting KT to be first choice this season?

I mean Trippier's expectation.

Personally I think it's fair, I wouldn't expect him to be not involved to the extent that the captaincy needs to change hands. I think people have forgotten just how good he still is.

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I was talking about Trippier's expectation. 

Personally I think it's fair, I wouldn't expect him to be not involved to the extent that the captaincy needs to change hands. I think people have forgotten just how good he still is.

Didn’t read that way but anyway.. I agree I’ve been a defendant of KT on here. His form last season was at times some of his best before December. Just had a bad six weeks approximately with a couple of high profile errors and then struggled with injury and whilst playing not fully fit an odd game. Not naive to not realise off the pitch hasn’t helped at times. He’s still got a big part to play this season IMO. Maybe not as prominent as he would like but I don’t think EH underestimates his importance. The managers balancing act AGAIN has been caused by PSR.

Edited by LFEE

I think Eddie's gone over and above to keep Trippier on board. We could have sold him in January, and with PSR concerns, getting good money for a 33 year old - 34 later this month - was not to be sniffed at. Howe sees him as a key player, shifting him now for pennies seems a bit pointless.