Sven Botman

The Prophet

1 minute ago, Jack27 said:

Like a proud da seeing all these calls up 

Massively aids the recruitment push - the likes of Botman, Joelinton etc getting call ups at little old Newcastle will help with the Diaby’s of this world.

29 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Tifo have put him in their UNDERrated team of the season. Not a single mention of Fabian Schär. :lol: I'm speechless 

I’m so confused by it. He’s been good but the way the media go on it’s like he’s been prime Maldini, and they still think he’s been underrated. All this whilst nobody is talking about the guy next to him who has defended just as well but has also been spraying a plethora of defence splitting passes about as though he was Xabi Alonso all season.

6 minutes ago, Smal said:

I’m so confused by it. He’s been good but the way the media go on it’s like he’s been prime Maldini, and they still think he’s been underrated. All this whilst nobody is talking about the guy next to him who has defended just as well but has also been spraying a plethora of defence splitting passes about as though he was Xabi Alonso all season.

I don't either. It seems lazy, like they've made the choice from a mental equation rather than actually watching us. Like, oh Newcastle's defence is brilliant, it wasn't last season, what's changed? They signed Botman and Pope, Botman was expensive, that'll be the reason.

Botman's been class, but he's had a couple of big errors as well, which Schar hasn't really. And as you say, factor in the assists and the goals (Burn being offside takes nothing away from his Everton goal) and it's mad that the praise is so skewed towards one player at the total exclusion of the other. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Schär was our best defensive player all season and after Trippier our second best creative player from defence. Botman has a huge future here and he’s only going to get better but that defensive performance across a season from Schar was as good as I’ve ever seen for us really 

Lots of ways to argue it if playing devils advocate. Has he made Schär look good. Vice versa. Or have the two fullback’s made them both look good.

We’ve been lucky to have a pretty settled back 5 all season. When we have to rotate more due to more fixtures or injuries we will probably find out actually how good they both are.

For a young defender making his debut in new league , team and surroundings you have to say he’s done really well. Especially as due to our rapid progress the pressure has been on throughout.

My only concern I have is what it’s always been and that’s the yard of pace he lacks along with the two yards of pace Schär lacks. Especially when our fullbacks aren’t the quickest. Anyone at Villa will of seen how all four of them can be exposed. It’s a testament to EH and the team that it was a rare occurrence.

• 2 weeks later...

De Ligt has dropped out of the Nations League finals squad due to injury, so big chance that wor Sven will finally get to make his debut for Oranje on Wednesday. Here’s hoping he plays, impresses like we know he can and makes the left sided CB position his own for the next decade :indi:

I was just looking at the upcoming football schedule and fancied watching both Nations League semi's (and the final), but they are on Viaplay (and not the free channel) so I might finally get round to signing up for a month this week - pretty expensive for like 4 or 5 games max, but something to watch. Might hold off until like 6.45pm on Weds and if big Sven is confirmed starting, then go for it. 

Just now, GeordieDazzler said:

Is it basically down to the fact that he won’t sub off Van Dijk? 

Seemingly. I haven’t seen today’s match, but really it seems even after such an excellent season he’s fifth choice at best. I’d be livid if I was Sven; could have been enjoying his well deserved holidays if Koeman had no plan to give him a chance.

1 minute ago, Sempiternal said:

I’ve never seen that other CB play but I’m struggling to accper he’s better than Botman 

It’s because he’s left footed so is seen exclusively as a LCB by the manager. Unfortunately the starting LCB is VVD so tends to always start.