Sven Botman

The Prophet

Obviously heartbreaking for the lad and terrible news for us. He's our big investment at CB but his career here pretty much hangs in the balance now.

We can all speculate on the reasons why we've got here. It does seem plausible that there's been an error of judgement somewhere down the line. 

ACL recoveries have improved dramatically in recent years but it’s not a given he’ll return the same player, especially as the issue has flared up already this season. Tino doesn’t look any lesser a player despite his lay off and hasn’t lost his pace. Sven doesn’t have any to begin with so hopefully that’s not a concern

As is with everything this season, i personally think there is a balance. I do think we have had some extremely bad luck, I also think the amount of injuries means the medical department has also fallen short as well. 

It's got to be a huge blow to our recruitment plans, considering our presumed financial limitations. Schar will surely start fading soon; beyond that it's Lascelles and Burn, who simply don't have the quality to enable us to kick on. With Botman out it feels like we'll need to spend a fortune simply to match the situation in May 2023.

Scouts have got their work cut out, big time. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's got to be a huge blow to our recruitment plans, considering our presumed financial limitations. Schar will surely start fading soon; beyond that it's Lascelles and Burn, who simply don't have the quality to enable us to kick on. With Botman out it feels like we'll need to spend a fortune simply to match the situation in May 2023.

Scouts have got their work cut out, big time. 

Not to mention we are missing Tonali for the start of the season, could be longer as well with the FA still investigating.

Gutted tbh. We can’t buy another centre back (not a decent one anyway) due to PSR/FFP. it will most likely have to be a loan. Next summer will have to be big yet we can’t spend because of the restrictions. So I guess another midtable battle for 7th or 8th. 

Edited by AngelofTheFourth

ACL tear is such a bitch of an injury. Always feels like no one ever gets back to 100% of where they were before, and they’re always at risk of tearing it again.

2 minutes ago, AngelofTheFourth said:

Gutted tbh. We can’t buy another centre back (not a decent one anyway) due to PSR/FFP. it will most likely have to be a loan. Next summer will have to be big yet we can’t spend because of the restrictions. So I guess another midtable battle for 7th or 8th. 

With Burn, Lascelles & Schar getting new deals fairly recently you'd think they'd stay.

I'd be looking at a Lenglet-style loan for a senior experienced centre-back, sell Targett and sign a first-choice left-back. 

4 minutes ago, Deuce said:

ACL tear is such a bitch of an injury. Always feels like no one ever gets back to 100% of where they were before, and they’re always at risk of tearing it again.

Tino's was an ACL wasn't it ? I realise there'll be differing severities etc.

Does anyone know what the club or other clubs have in the way of ultra modern diagnostic equipment in their medical departments?

Or do they have like a basic-ish suite of gear and then refer players to a hospital when they need more advanced stuff?

5 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Depends on each individual, the position they play, their recovery and rehab, the physio. Too many variables, I think. 

It used to be a much more serious and intrusive procedure. The healing time was a lot longer and players would struggle to come back anywhere near the same. Whilst this is far from ideal. I don’t think it is quite so bad as it once was with keyhole surgery and modern day medical science. I bet you can go through plenty of examples of players that have had it and got back to something like their best. I’m just too lazy to do the research :lol: VVD springs to mind. Although he did take some time to regain his imperious form. 

He’ll have close to the best rehab facilities money can buy and he’s young. I think and hope he’ll come back just fine. 

The only crumb of comfort I can take from this. Is that something was clearly still limiting him and it is good that it’s getting sorted. The drop off in quality was a concern. But always felt like there was more to it than him becoming a bad player overnight. 

It’s not quite the career ending/altering injury it once was but it’s still one of the more significant ones a footballer can get. I really feel for the lad as he’s a top player.

A couple of weeks back it was obvious that Botman was miles off it… now at that point as a manager who should be able to notice these things in fucking training.. what do you do?.. leave him in and roll the dice or give him extra time to rehab and build back to the point he was beforehand, or as close to.

Eddie Howe has been running this squad into the ground over the course of 2 years, nearly every single one of them are walking on ice in relation to picking up serious injury. Fatigue is a massive contributing factor.

There's also been several instances of players being obviously crocked and being left on the pitch for 10/15 mins before being subbed. He’s done this repeatedly.

If any potential new signings or existing players that the club should be doing everything to keep have any level of intelligence, they’ll be thinking “playing for this guy is going to shorten my career”.

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Give it a rest man 

Seriously. He just had a ban for an horrible comment and is hitting the ground running here :lol:

once again a Shadow Puppets FAQ is needed for late

comers 

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

52 minutes ago, James said:

Same medical department who thought it would be worth letting Murphy on the pitch weeks after dislocating his shoulder.

They shouldn’t even be allowed back in the building.

:lol::ninja::suicide:

What terrible terrible news - when it rains it pours. Speedy recovery to the lad - at least from the sound of it he'll be back for the better part of next campaign.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s the same injury. Poorly treated and misdiagnosed. Twice. Many on here suspected something wasn’t right with him and the knee. 

Goes without saying at this point - Medical team needs upgrading befitting of a club with the richest ownership in the world. No excuse for this one.

6 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Seriously. He just had a ban for an horrible comment and is hitting the ground running here :lol:

once again a Shadow Puppets FAQ is needed for late

comers 

With respect, what has that got to do with this thread?

And what comment in relation to Eddie Howe are you disputing? Has he not left injured players on the pitch? Has he not run the squad into the ground?

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

With respect, what has that got to do with this thread?

And what comment in relation to Eddie Howe are you disputing? Has he not left injured players on the pitch? Has he not run the squad into the ground?

See What Shadow Puppets has said about six times in this thread