Sven Botman

The Prophet

If we stay up I wouldn’t be surprised if we were in the market for one of Harland or Mbappe even though we would have zero chance. I can just see PIF thinking fuck it, and will put bids in on the table for players like those two whatever the cost. 

Possibly, fear it will make us look daft though. I also kinda think these transfers seem to be negotiated over months if not years beforehand cheeky bids unlikely to happen. Fairly sure Mbappe to Real Madrid is a done deal already isnt it?

Presuming Dan Ashworth will already have his feet under a desk and perhaps a tough CEO in place too, our planning, negotiating abilities and forward thinking will be on another level to what was in place in January.

Will they decide to build a challenging team right away or will they decide to put more resources into building a blueprint for sustained homegrown success? And by that I mean an academy to rival anywhere in the world with not just locals, but somewhere that every young talent in the world will aspire to make it to.

That’s not to shit on what our owners were able to pull off in January. They were exceptional considering this is new to them.

5 hours ago, Phoenix711 said:

We offered €50m which is around £42m on deadline day apparently. Unlike Diego Carlos who will be 29 and will have 1 year left on his contract, Botman has just turned 22 and still has three years left on his contract (2025). I can't see Lille taking any less than €50m and if we were willing to offer that in January, Lille won't take lower as they are in a much stronger position compared to Seville. I wouldn't pay our Jan valuation of Diego Carlos.

Koulibaly will be 31 in the summer and apparently will sign a new contract extension with Napoli. When we were linked with him back in November his agents said they weren't too keen. 31 is also on the older side for a defender who relies heavily on his physical attributes. He's not wily like Thiago Silva (Chelsea).

I'd avoid anyone over 30 (unless they're cheap) as we'll be paying a premium already and there will be no resale value if they flop. Also the best players around this age want trophies/ European football.

In terms of Botman the difference could be that he's said he is leaving in the summer and that's something he will push for, which he wasn't willing to do in January 

4 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Go in for Nico Schlotterbeck.

Turned us down last month, didn’t he? I got the impression that he wanted to stay in Germany- probably destined for Bayern/Dortmund I’d say. 

Edited by Manxst

5 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Turned us down last month, didn’t he? 

Did he? Maybe he wasn't up for a relegation fight. Who knows. Things change.

Anyway, I suspect he'll be at Bayern Munich soon. 22 years old.

Edited by gazza ladra

Just now, gazza ladra said:

Did he? Maybe he wasn't up for a relegation fight. Who knows. Things change.

Anyway, I suspect he'll be at Bayern Munich soon.

Yeah, me too- I edited the original comment to say as much

25 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

In terms of Botman the difference could be that he's said he is leaving in the summer and that's something he will push for, which he wasn't willing to do in January 

Even if he pushed he wouldn't be allowed to leave, he still had 3.5 years left on his contract. Diego Carlos tried to push and he couldn't do anything. I'm pretty sure Botman and Lille's director of football came to an agreement - you can leave in the summer for x which he was fine with. He's said nice things about us and Milan and probably hasn't made his mind up yet. I know Milan have the Maldini factor but he probably wait til the summer before making his choice. 

With Diego Carlos I think we told his team that we'll revisit things in the summer depending on what happens in the league - that's probably why he didn't want to sign an extension for now (his deal expires in 2023) and Mochi (Seville director) hinted he'd be willing to sell in the summer.

5 minutes ago, Thiago said:

I feel bad that I can't take Ryder seriously :lol: 

One minute he can't write a coherent sentence, the next he's tweeting like the Morpeth Monchi.

Watched Howe Press Conference and Ryder pops up and can barely speak. Window Licker of the highest order

10 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Gazetta reckons he wants to join Milan 

Don't blame him, he's guaranteed games there whilst here he would be back up to Big Dan Burn

Gazetta, they can't stand to think that the Italian teams aren't the centre of the footballing world.......have a real chip on their shoulder

15 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Gazetta reckons he wants to join Milan 

Don't blame him, he's guaranteed games there whilst here he would be back up to Big Dan Burn

Fair fucks. 

He seemed keen to join us when we looked like the only team able to do a deal in January. If waiting to the summer throws Milan into the mix I think it gets harder for us to convince him especially with Maldini on a charm offensive. Our only advantage is more money but I'd not want to go down that route as our sole motivator towards players.

35 minutes ago, Thiago said:

Fair fucks. 

He seemed keen to join us when we looked like the only team able to do a deal in January. If waiting to the summer throws Milan into the mix I think it gets harder for us to convince him especially with Maldini on a charm offensive. Our only advantage is more money but I'd not want to go down that route as our sole motivator towards players.

Yeah, ultimately the summer transfer window is better for us in that we'll have more time and less pressure (regardless of which league we are in) but also players will have more options as not a lot of clubs want to do business in January

Even if we stay up we don't have CL or any European football to offer so losing out to Milan is to be expected