Sven Botman: set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

1 minute ago, Jinky Jim said:

Strange comment….why don’t you just allow debate even if you disagree with the sentiments….thought that was what this forum was about

Totally agree debate is good but you are holding the fact clubs didn’t accept a fee against the players themselves. That’s mental 

Strange comment….why don’t you just allow debate even if you disagree with the sentiments….thought that was what this forum was about

Because you’re claiming things that aren’t factual. You said he turned us down, then he didn’t push hard enough, then he’s not wanted by top teams. If that’s what you believe there really is no debating with you.

who do you want to sign in summer? Laporte maybe?

Just now, Jinky Jim said:

I’ll eat my words if he becomes a top player over the next few years.

As with any prospect, it can go either way. The signs are though, that he’ll continue to improve and develop. Which is why Lille rely so strongly on him and don’t want to sell this window, and why they had AC Milan bidding for him alongside us. 

Just now, Shearergol said:

Because you’re claiming things that aren’t factual. You said he turned us down, then he didn’t push hard enough, then he’s not wanted by top teams. If that’s what you believe there really is no debating with you.

who do you want to sign in summer? Laporte maybe?

No idea….I don’t do FM…..just think we could do better than some of our so called targets have been….assuming we can survive.

No idea….I don’t do FM…..just think we could do better than some of our so called targets have been….assuming we can survive.

You can’t name any alternatives, as you don’t know any, but think Botman is no good because….? I’m sure you don’t know the first thing about him, other than the fact he didn’t sign for us, and apparently had no top club after him (which isn’t true).  It all sounds a little back to front and illogical, sorry. 

5 minutes ago, Jinky Jim said:

Weird, no-one can confirm he will become a top player but he is one of the most highly rated players in his position in Europe at his age bracket.

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

You can’t name any alternatives, as you don’t know any, but think Botman is no good because….? I’m sure you don’t know the first thing about him, other than the fact he didn’t sign for us, and apparently had no top club after him (which isn’t true).  It all sounds a little back to front and illogical, sorry. 

I’ve never said he’s no good….I’ve not seen him play, and you are right I cannot offer any alternatives…..but in my opinion, as I’ve stated, I don’t want anyone in the summer who we approached in January, and wouldn’t join…..for whatever reason….and I think players have more of a say than suggested if they really wanted to move….but hey ho think I’m alone in my opinion and I’ve pissed off enough posters tonight…so as sherergol suggested..time for bed….unless of course there is last minute excitement🤪

Just now, Jinky Jim said:

I’ve never said he’s no good….I’ve not seen him play, and you are right I cannot offer any alternatives…..but in my opinion, as I’ve stated, I don’t want anyone in the summer who we approached in January, and wouldn’t join…..for whatever reason….and I think players have more of a say than suggested if they really wanted to move….but hey ho think I’m alone in my opinion and I’ve pissed off enough posters tonight…so as sherergol suggested..time for bed….unless of course there is last minute excitement🤪

Not pissed off here mate, just surprised that you blame the players who wanted to come for not coming when it was the their clubs preventing it. 

No hard feelings at all, we’re all on the same side 

Don’t think you’ve pissed people off buddy- I just think your opinion is a little skewed from that of most others, and I was trying to see why (I still can’t understand in all honesty). If we don’t go back in for him in the summer, I sure hope it’s because we’re trying for even better, which would be incredible all round. 

7 minutes ago, Jinky Jim said:

He would have joined if we had been willing to pay 30, 35, 40, 45,50 then 60M or whatever, he was keen on the move.  They tried it on with us, we didn't bite when they kept increasing the fee, if we had it would have been 60M for Bruno.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Football Italia reporting he's agreed terms with Meelan.

He’s agreed terms with us as well in January doesn’t mean much unless a fee can be agreed. 

We can always Gazump them plus it’s unlikely Milan will shell out 50m for him. 

We won’t be shelling out 50m for him in the summer. Our position generally will be much strengthened if/when we stay up.

Might we’ll be going in for someone like Koulibaly at that point. He’s still only around 30 iirc so he’s right in or around his best years.

If we stay up the goalposts move massively over what we potentially could have achieved in January.

Think we should pursue Botman over Ake and Koulibaly. I want some exciting, promising talents that can be our future potential club legends we can still enjoy watching in 10 years from now.

Ake is frankly a fucking boring option. For me, January was the month to sign him if we ever were to do so. Koulibaly is a band aid solution for the short term which would only slow down the progress of younger talents.

Would much rather be going for young players to build around for the future. You buy Koulibaly if you are already in the champions league. Considering Dan Ashworth appointment who seems to be about smart recruitment and appointment even of Howe that feels the plan too. There will be time for signing star players like that but dont think it will be this summer, and if we do I would be very surprised if they are 30 years old plus. Resale value is gong to be important to keep up with fair play rules.

1 minute ago, Tiresias said:

Would much rather be going for young players to build around for the future. You buy Koulibaly if you are already in the champions league. Considering Dan Ashworth appointment who seems to be about smart recruitment and appointment even of Howe that feels the plan too. There will be time for signing star players like that but dont think it will be this summer, and if we do I would be very surprised if they are 30 years old plus. Resale value is gong to be important to keep up with fair play rules.

Owners will be wanting at least one big name transfer to hit the headlines.

Oh probably but I suspect if we do it will be up and coming variety. I think we'd struggle to persuade a player who hasn't that many peak years left to come to a project that may take a few years before competing for champions league, maybe one already on their way down for a last payday and do we want that?

14 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

We won’t be shelling out 50m for him in the summer. Our position generally will be much strengthened if/when we stay up.

Might we’ll be going in for someone like Koulibaly at that point. He’s still only around 30 iirc so he’s right in or around his best years.

If we stay up the goalposts move massively over what we potentially could have achieved in January.

We offered €50m which is around £42m on deadline day apparently. Unlike Diego Carlos who will be 29 and will have 1 year left on his contract, Botman has just turned 22 and still has three years left on his contract (2025). I can't see Lille taking any less than €50m and if we were willing to offer that in January, Lille won't take lower as they are in a much stronger position compared to Seville. I wouldn't pay our Jan valuation of Diego Carlos.

Koulibaly will be 31 in the summer and apparently will sign a new contract extension with Napoli. When we were linked with him back in November his agents said they weren't too keen. 31 is also on the older side for a defender who relies heavily on his physical attributes. He's not wily like Thiago Silva (Chelsea).

I'd avoid anyone over 30 (unless they're cheap) as we'll be paying a premium already and there will be no resale value if they flop. Also the best players around this age want trophies/ European football.