Sven Botman

The Prophet

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Man City were able to offer far more money to players than we are at the beginning (relative to overall wage levels at that time). They also had less barriers to breaking the top 4 at that point in terms of competition. They also started from a better position - with players like Kompany, Hart and Zabaleta already bought by the previous ownership.

That's not to say it can't be done and leapfrogging in with a particularly good season. I mean if you extrapolate our form over second half of last season we would have finished top four over a full season. West Ham have not actually been that far off. But I still think there's just as much chance of us being 5th-7th for a good 4-5 years before cracking it. 

I think challenging in Europe is more likely than winning the league like. Unless they falter, Man City and Liverpool are robots, it would take an insane effort to surpass them week in week out.

Teams like AC Milan, despite their history, are nowhere near that level though and are essentially propped up by playing in a poorer league.

Like I say, I completely get the reasons AC Milan would appeal to any footballer on the planet but I think they're amongst the group of clubs below the elite level which we could pass fairly quickly if we don't fuck this whole thing up.

It’s not just the choice between clubs though, at this moment in time rightly or wrongly the PL is considered the best and most glamourised league in the world. Botman might well be attracted to CL football, but the challenge of playing in the PL is far more enticing than Serie A these days.

8 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

What are you onabout man [emoji38]

We are a project, the biggest and most 'exciting' one in football, the fact I or anyone else might have previously derided Man City or Chelsea for buying the league is completely irrelevant, especially considering I've stated multiple times I completely agree with the distain some other fans have towards us.

I can think the whole thing is completely shite and unfair while also understanding that (if things go to plan, which they have in the past fir other clubs) our project will likely lead to us joining the dominant clubs of football. I don't understand where you are seeing any jarring juxtaposition here?

I'm on about the fact you seem offended by Botman (possibly) choosing Milan over us, because we might or might not become a dominant force in football in five years time. Who knows, maybe in five years time AC Milan is the Juventus of the last 10 years, dominating Italian football and reaching the deep parts of the CL. 

7 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Can't stand the term 'project' when it comes to football. [emoji38]

It's the literal deffinition of what it is though [emoji38]

I get NO it's beyond the 'hip' shite like but there's no other word in the dictionary which better describes what we are.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

9 minutes ago, Flip said:

I'm on about the fact you seem offended by Botman (possibly) choosing Milan over us, because we might or might not become a dominant force in football in five years time. Who knows, maybe in five years time AC Milan is the Juventus of the last 10 years, dominating Italian football and reaching the deep parts of the CL. 

Flip, honestly you've spoke nowt but shite in this thread like. Literally nothing you are saying is relevant to anything I've said, are you still pissed or something [emoji38]

I've never displayed any indication I'm 'offended'. I said I think it would be the wrong choice for reasons I've explained. I completely get that he could go to the Serie A and win the league, while getting regular Champions League football right off the bat. It's just that AC Milan are a long way behing the top sides in Europe and don't have resourses we now have to join them. 

Project.

Guest HTT II

As a neutral mind, I find Serie A far more entertaining and more competitive than the PL, it’s not some tin pot League. It’s not what it once was, but it’s kind of coming back and producing top talent and some exciting games and campaigns.

It seems the ones who are procrastinating the most about coming here are the top younger talent.

Perhaps to get from A-B or H or whatever, we should be looking more at older players who are still at a high level as short term options.

Once we’re there, we won’t have as much trouble attracting any player.

34 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I think challenging in Europe is more likely than winning the league like. Unless they falter, Man City and Liverpool are robots, it would take an insane effort to surpass them week in week out.

Teams like AC Milan, despite their history, are nowhere near that level though and are essentially propped up by playing in a poorer league.

Like I say, I completely get the reasons AC Milan would appeal to any footballer on the planet but I think they're amongst the group of clubs below the elite level which we could pass fairly quickly if we don't fuck this whole thing up.

”I honestly think players are daft as fuck to be turning us down unless it's for the absolute elite (Madrid/Barca/Bayern/PSG etc). ”

17 minutes ago, Flip said:

”I honestly think players are daft as fuck to be turning us down unless it's for the absolute elite (Madrid/Barca/Bayern/PSG etc). ”

So where exactly in that quote have I said anything about being offended by him turning us down? I think it would be daft for him as a player as his career progression here will likely have a much greater ceiling than at Milan. That is by no means guarenteed, but Milan will have a much, much harder job growing outside of domestic competitions. I've already explained this multiple times, yet you keep bringing up money for some reason.

Aye it was slightly hyperbolic and I agree with Sewelly and Prophet to a degree.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Him choosing us over Serie A winning Milan would be grim for football tbh. 

Why? We're a club on the up who will be challenging for honours - he's the chance to make history with us.

Nothing wrong with him choosing us, but anyone think it strange if he prefered Milan is weird. They are historic, current champions with champions league football on offer. Any player should be excited to be linked to that. If a player doesn't want to join us, or at least prefers elsewhere we need to move on to next target. Absolutely try and tempt him with better wages or whatever within reason but ultimately want players excited to join and we can't win them all

Edited by Tiresias

11 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

So where exactly in that quote have I said anything about being offended by him turning us down? I think it would be daft for him as a player as his career progression here will likely have a much greater ceiling than at Milan. That is by no means guarenteed, but Milan will have a much, much harder job growing outside of domestic competitions. I've already explained this multiple times, yet you keep bringing up money for some reason.

Aye it was slightly hyperbolic and I agree with Sewelly and Prophet to a degree.

I interpreted that as you being offended. You are also still suggesting we’re a far better club to join than Milan at this point. Luckily, no one agrees with you. Gives modern football hope at least. 

51 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

It seems the ones who are procrastinating the most about coming here are the top younger talent.

Perhaps to get from A-B or H or whatever, we should be looking more at older players who are still at a high level as short term options.

Once we’re there, we won’t have as much trouble attracting any player.

It’s bold of the club to go for them, but I think you’re spot on re the club’s attractiveness at present.  We’ll hear lots of young talent not being ‘sold’ on the ‘project’ in the next year or two.  It won’t be that they don’t believe we’ll make it eventually - it is because they need to develop and progress their career now.  If I pretend I’m not a Geordie and (stretching it now) pretend I’m a pro footballer being offered a contract by NUFC and one by AC Milan, there’s no way I do anything but sign for Milan - unless the NUFC offer absolutely blows it out of the water.   But the club are (sensibly) not looking to destroy the wage structure - so that’s a no-go

3 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Imaging being courted by two clubs, then making your decision, then the one you decide on goes: "Cool, great. Now hang tight while we work out if we REALLY do want you". :lol:

would be even better if Milan said no and the Newcastle turned round and said, we wont be anyone's sloppy second, now Hadawaynshite!

3 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Imaging being courted by two clubs, then making your decision, then the one you decide on goes: "Cool, great. Now hang tight while we work out if we REALLY do want you". :lol:

Probably not far off Matt Targetts situation.

5 minutes ago, Flip said:

I interpreted that as you being offended. You are also still suggesting we’re a far better club to join than Milan at this point. Luckily, no one agrees with you. Gives modern football hope at least. 

Being pointlessly modest doesn't give football hope [emoji38]

Again, what you're saying makes no real sense in regards to the conversation. My completely understandable belief that we are likely to grow beyond Milan (as a competitive team, not as a historic club) in the coming years is not what is going to destroy modern football.

3 hours ago, LRD said:

Previously you mentioned that he has little chance of getting into the WC squad. Now that the season is done, has anything changed in regards to that, and do you think he is a good fit for the club? 

There is no talk whatsoever with respect to a WC squad for him. Unless he joins a big club and immediately impresses, and one or two of the players in front of him in the queue sustain injuries I’d say there’s no chance.

in terms of whether he’d be a good fit, you guys have probably seen more of him than me :lol:. I trust Howe and the recruitment staff however, so if they want him I’m confident he’d be a good fit.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Being pointlessly modest doesn't give football hope [emoji38]

Again, what you're saying makes no real sense in regards to the conversation. My completely understandable belief that we are likely to grow beyond Milan (as a competitive team, not as a historic club) in the coming years is not what is going to destroy modern football.

:lol: 

Honestly,  you said it would be daft as fuck to pick Milan over us. What you are calling project is in fact money. What we as a club have over Milan right now is money and the prospect of playing in the PL. I, just like others, am saying that picking Newcastle over Milan in the current situation is picking money over football. Not only myself, but most in here apart from you seem in agreement that for at least the next five years Milan will be ahead of us and will most probably win more titles. They also have new ownership who might be willing to make invest in them and make them compete at the highest level. We are quite a few years away from that.

So just to finish it off, it wouldn’t be daft at all for him sign for Milan over us. In fact that would be what even a majority of Newcastle fans in here would feel is the right decision. 

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Are you being intentionally blind to the reality of our takeover or something?

FWIW I think it's absolutely disgusting that this is the reality of things, given a year ago we were rightfully one of the laughing stocks of world football, but I cannot see the point of being modest and I thought the same in January. We are the most likely club in world football who any reasonable person would forcast to join the elite within the next few years, not AC Milan.

Milan is part of the elite like :lol:

They may not be as good as Liverpool, Man City, Bayern or Madrid, but nobody should be surprised to see them regularly in the CL quarters or semis and win domestic honours in one of the best leagues in the world. Us, we’re a project, a doer-upper. We could be elite in 5-10 years time, but it’s hardly guaranteed and for a player living in the here and now they represent a more attractive option than us, even before getting into non-footballing reasons.