Sven Botman

The Prophet

22 minutes ago, Cronky said:

A bit slow, possibly, but he looks quite decent on the ball for a CB.

True. I was thinking of VVD/ Konate/ any City's CBs' level. But yes, he is still good. I think it is unfair to compare him to N'dicka when it comes to ball playing because of their respective positions. N'dicka tends to move up the pitch more often since he plays in a 3 at the back formation. 

2 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Expect this to be announced tomorrow, no other reason for Ashworth to be there other than finalising the deal

Might have watched how Roeder operated and still be running the rule over him

Wonder if Milanista remembers our visit there, we got the train into the city and there were loads of Milan fans cheering for us. I never saw an Inter fan until we got near the stadium, even the tram there was just chocker with us. 

Would love to see the tv coverage of the game, watching our end fill up was truly amazing. I can only compare it to when KK returned to Anfield in the 3rd round of the FA Cup on that Friday night; we put The Kop to shame that night and that was when they were noisy.

Off topic I know but can’t wait for those trips again. Went into Louis Vuitton after a few with our NUFC tops on and then went into Prada and bought a tie; like, why not. 

Anyway, Botman, let’s hope he’s more Woodgate (minus injuries) than Boumsong should he sign.

17 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Really interesting posts, @Milanista

I find the sneering view towards other leagues from fans/manufacturers of the Premier League really depressing. Particularly from a Newcastle fan, cos why the fuck would you care if the PL is the mightiest around? Cos it's got fuck all to do with anything NUFC has contributed to the institution over the last 15 years. 

As a football fan, I'm more than okay with someone like Botman seeing Milan as a more attractive destination than a mid-table PL club. But as an NUFC fan, I hope we somehow manage to convince him, obviously. And I'm not saying we're an unattractive choice; far from it. Just that the world is right if the Serie A champions are the better option. 

Anyway, Serie A is a cultural giant of the game with a shit-ton of great teams, great players and great history (and probably the best kit collection). Chuffed that Juventus are having a shitter these days, enabling clubs like Milan to reassert themselves. 

Wasn't aware of the details of the resurgence under Maldini et al, but it's interesting to hear about. The odd time I saw Milan this year I thought they looked really good and was especially impressed with Leao. Plus, Ibrahimovic, for all his tediousness off the pitch, is an incredible feat of footballing engineering on it, to still be that good at that age.

I did catch that mad game where they lost 2-1 at home to Spezia, though. 

Thank you!

The EPL is very strong, and the revenue from the TV deals is going to make that gap larger between leagues, but I think the massive drop from top 4 in terms of revenue, will become a ceiling for what the EPL can become. Most Italian fans shrugged at the Super League, for example, because the gap between Juventus (best run club, financially, in Italy) and Liverpool or Man Utd, is still pretty large. Milan, if they do all the infrastructure stuff that Juve have, will be closer (Milan is a bigger city, bigger international fanbase, etc) but I imagine Milan's best case scenario is to have Bayern-like revenue. Bayern, however, destroy the Bundesliga's ability to challenge La Liga, the EPL, and Serie A because they obliterate their competition. While Dortmund, RB Leipzig, etc do shoot themselves in the foot, I find the fact that Bayern poached Lewandowski from Dortmund, for free, the same sort of tampering that Barca complains about, when they do it themselves.

Serie A is at a crossroads, Juventus is the only of the "seven sisters" (Milan, Juve, Inter, Roma, Fiorentina, Lazio, and now Napoli) who own their own stadium, them and Atalanta, and a few random midtable sides. There is a big clash, as most Serie A teams didn't see stadiums as important, and so municipalities owned them, and rented them out to clubs. Stadiums for big teams can bring in around 100m in extra revenue, and as much as I love San Siro, it is decaying, and the costs in refurbishing San Siro would exceed the cost of building a new stadium, making it untenable. The fallout from failing to qualify for the World Cup, again, might be the trigger to allow these Americans (who own Fiorentina, Roma, and other clubs) to finally get their new training facilities and stadiums.

Leao is our great young talent. He is ironing out his inconsistencies, but Ibrahimovic was a huge part of his jump in quality. I think Ibrahimovic has this caricature (that he has fostered) around this massive ego, but it is (mostly) in jest. When he is seriously answering questions, he is thoughtful, introspective, and clearly a hell of a leader of men. If you haven't seen his speech after Milan won the title, it is a glimpse into the sort of man he is.

Ibrahimovic is a physical freak, and even at his age, when he's healthy (which is rare now) he still is a top striker, which while a testament to his class, it also is because I think the striker market is very poor, and this generation of strikers are particularly poor, which is why Cavani, Suarez, Ibra, Giroud, Benzema, Lewa, all these older strikers are still leading the line for big clubs. I've watched Ekitike, who I know you all have been linked with, and he's a very good young striker, for today, but, you all are Newcastle fans, you've had Shearer, you know what a top striker looks like, and none of these boys, Ekitike, Darwin Nunez, Scamacca, etc, are at the level of strikers from a few years ago. Scamacca is a poor man's Ibrahimovic, as is Ekitike to Lewa, or Nunez to Cavani--I don't rate Darwin as a 100m player. True strikers, true 9's, are really rare today.

That Spezia game was a travesty--I still can't get over how bad the ref was in that game.

Anyway, this is long, again, I'm sorry.

Guest HTT II

Mega clubs like AC, Man Utd etc. will always have their dodgy spells, but it’s inevitable clubs like them will always return, LFC having not won the league for years still won trophies. NUFC are not at that level and that’s the aim or should be, to be regularly in the hunt for trophies and competing even if it doesn’t materialise. We are a big club, here in the U.K., but not a successful one and we have decades to come to catch up with the likes of AC Milan and even then, they will always be a historical giant club. Success or not. Again, who wouldn’t want to play for the Rossoneri…

12 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I think we’ll see some proper movement this week with Botman, I’m confident he’ll sign!

The most reliable Milan sources have said that there will be meetings over Botman, but it seems that Milan might be turning towards Bremer--the sense is that Milan is trying to have Botman wait out Lille so that they will fold and accept Milan's lower bid, while being comfortable turning to Bremer.

My impression is that Milan's management is losing the battle for Botman and are turning to Bremer.

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Mega clubs like AC, Man Utd etc. will always have their dodgy spells, but it’s inevitable clubs like them will always return, LFC having not won the league for years still won trophies. NUFC are not at that level and that’s the aim or should be, to be regularly in the hunt for trophies and competing even if it doesn’t materialise. We are a big club, here in the U.K., but not a successful one and we have decades to come to catch up with the likes of AC Milan and even then, they will always be a historical giant club. Success or not. Again, who wouldn’t want to play for the Rossoneri…

Newcastle has the sort of genuine fanbase that deserves the success that I hope your team has. City fans suffered, and I feel for those genuine City fans who were around before the money came in, but they were a much smaller fanbase. I find City fans weird in that they pretend they don't want the CL, as a shield to them being so bad there.

Newcastle is a big club, there's no way around that. Your fans are genuine, your club means something to you all, it represents more than just millionaires playing a game, and to survive Mike Ashley speaks to the sincerity of your fanbase.

Our young players who saw our fans for the first time this year (due to Covid) and saw them when we finally won, that positive energy from our fans is what is pushing so many of them to sign extensions. My only advice to Newcastle fans is to maintain your passion for your players, to support the young ones when they have bad games (which the English do much better than we do in Italy), and to just continue being who you all are. City and PSG are very manufactured, Chelsea had a few things going for them prior to Abramovich, but Newcastle has weight to it, and you have such a distinct culture to your club, that I don't think money will change the character of Newcastle, it will just make your team better, but your fans are still a huge base, so I look at Newcastle as diametrically different to City and Chelsea.

Guest HTT II

That’s my fear if we do get success, the fanbase will change, which despite the myths, don’t demand success or CL footy and are actually very pessimistic. I do think, however, given our location and being a one City club, we will remain level headed hopefully as we won’t attract the day trippers and glory hunters of your LFC’s and Man Utd’s. Even following any success. 

12 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

They were talking on the ramble about how much better Leao has been with Ibras advice. He’s a great guy to have around the dressing room.

Ibra just had ACL surgery, he played the last 6 months without tendons in his knees, drained his knee every week, could only physically train once-a-week, he literally bled for this team.

He is such a huge presence for our team, that even with him being out until 2023, they will re-sign him to another one-year deal, and he will stay as long as he wants.

He has pushed all of our players to new heights, giving the young players an example as to how to train, how to win, and my sense is that Trippier is that "pace setter" for your club. Data is important, being smart on the transfer market is important, but there is a human element to this game, team spirit, leadership, mentality, while these are easy excuses from lazy pundits to explain problems in tactics and personnel, they are crucial intangibles.

Just now, HTT II said:

That’s my fear if we do get success, the fanbase will change, which despite the myths, don’t demand success or CL footy and are actually very pessimistic. I do think, however, given our location and being a one City club, we will remain level headed hopefully as we won’t attract the day trippers and glory hunters of your LFC’s and Man Utd’s. Even following any success. 

My sense is that Newcastle fans are such... I don't want to say insular, because that has negative connotations, but you are a group of fans who are united and tight-knit, but Newcastle are a genuine group of people, and (please correct me if I'm wrong) Newcastle represents a lot of larger social elements about what it means to be from the North of England, to be a Geordie, and to me, there's such a strong identity to what it means to be a Newcastle fan, that the biggest "danger" will be North American fans coming over to watch games and you'll have to hear them say "bloody" and "mate," lol.

They will be annoying, because they'll buy old Newcastle shirts and talk about how they were a fan of Newcastle since Michael Owen was there.

Ive just put a bid in on Botman, want him to play for my lads team. Think he could be an asset and take them to next level.......Agree fee with Lille, 60M, just need to agree terms with Botman......watch this space!

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, Milanista said:

My sense is that Newcastle fans are such... I don't want to say insular, because that has negative connotations, but you are a group of fans who are united and tight-knit, but Newcastle are a genuine group of people, and (please correct me if I'm wrong) Newcastle represents a lot of larger social elements about what it means to be from the North of England, to be a Geordie, and to me, there's such a strong identity to what it means to be a Newcastle fan, that the biggest "danger" will be North American fans coming over to watch games and you'll have to hear them say "bloody" and "mate," lol.

They will be annoying, because they'll buy old Newcastle shirts and talk about how they were a fan of Newcastle since Michael Owen was there.

We are or can be insular like a lot of fans in that as far as footy is concerned, it’s NUFC and NUFC only and some fans take offence when a player doesn’t sign for us because for us, playing for NUFC is/would be the be all and end all. I like to think, however, over the Ashley years, we’ve grown some kind of consciousness and know our place and right now are fully behind everyone at the club and are just all ecstatic that we have some hope now. I mean to be competing with your own club for a player, that was the stuff of dreams under Ashley. I just hope we don’t get spoiled or spoil ourselves…

Edited by HTT II

4 minutes ago, Milanista said:

The Michael Owen era is trauma blocked from most of our collective memories. He’s the most hated player in recent history. God I hate him.