Sven Botman: set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

28 minutes ago, Nine said:

Its going to take 4/5/6 seasons to transform this squad into a side that can compete for top 4 let alone compete in the CL, what the hell [emoji38]

This is my thing.

A squad is about a 3/4 year cycle.

Everyone we've signed bar Bruno & Botman (maybe Pope) is unlikely to be here in 4 years just due to age. If Botman and Bruno are as good as we hope they are - they are not going to wait 4/5 years for us to challenge for top 4. 

We need great commercial deals and European football within the next 2 seasons if the leadership are as ambitious as we think.

Just now, WillingtonMag said:

Wasn't one game we were brilliant from the turn of the year.

Teams also suffer from a blip in form after bringing in lots of new players and after a manager has bern at the helm for a few games.

Look at Ole at Man Utd.

Nothing is a given. We should be aiming realistically for 7th above West Ham, Villa, Leicester etc 

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

A top centre half and one the best keepers in the country doesn't change anything ? How doesn't it like? Makes us a lot stronger.

Finishing above Arsenal it doesnt change anything because we wont. In terms of the top 10 yes it does.

Just now, BlazeT44 said:

Teams also suffer from a blip in form after bringing in lots of new players and after a manager has bern at the helm for a few games.

Look at Ole at Man Utd.

Nothing is a given. We should be aiming realistically for 7th above West Ham, Villa, Leicester etc 

I've already said I'd be over the moon with 7th still think we can do better though and also think we will.

We had some games last season during our run where the points accrued didn’t really reflect the game imo. Games like Leeds and Southampton to name just 2. If those were both draws no one would’ve complained. So we nicked a few points. I know we lost at Chelsea when perhaps a draw would’ve been fair but, I think we got away with a few more than got away from us. 
I wouldn’t expect that to continue. We have to treat this next season as it’s own thing and not a continuation of the he last. Other teams have strengthened and they’ve also had the opportunity to play us and understand us a little bit. I fully predict it will be harder next season. Hopefully we’ll improve the he squad some more and with a good preseason we’ll look to mitigate that. 
Right now we look like a mid table team to me. If we sign more quality starting players then that will creep up. 

We caught Arsenal on a low-ebb for them and a high for us.

Top 4. Man U. West Ham. Arsenal. Leicester. All have better squads than us as it is. Villa have done some serious business already. I think 9/10 is about par at the moment.

If we sign some serious forwards - that may change but for now. The team is bang midtable.

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

You said we are better than Arsenal. They finished above us.

Obviously aye 🤣 I don't think they would with our current team and a full season of Howe though. 

Edited by WillingtonMag

I love the optimism @WillingtonMag. I just think over the course of a season there’s not much chance we’re getting near to the big 6 and that’s fine. We still have a squad that is fairly thin and teams will have plans next year on how to play us, players form may drop and we don’t know if the half season under Howe will be replicated or was a flash in the pan. Though if we can keep our home form we might get in the conversation. Aware that other ‘challengers’ are strengthening too mind.

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

You said we are better than Arsenal. They finished above us.

The mighty Arsenal averaged 1.89 points a game in 2022 (18 games, 34 points). Lowly us averaged 2.05 points a game in 2022 (19 games, 39 points). Not too shabby… . 

On the subject of Botman. If he’s that progressive of a passer perhaps he’ll start with Lascelles. He’s a better athlete than Schar, vastly inferior footballer but does he need to be that much better if Botman is the main distributor from the back?

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

Obviously aye 🤣 I don't think they would with our current team and a full season of Howe though. 

So Fraser, Murphy, Almiron with their stellar attacking quality will takes us there?

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

The mighty Arsenal averaged 1.89 points a game in 2022 (18 games, 34 points). Lowly us averaged 2.05 points a game in 2022 (19 games, 39 points). Not too shabby… . 

We wont go on the same run we had after christmas. And its not only us who have bought players. 

Just now, nufc123 said:

So Fraser, Murphy, Almiron with their stellar attacking quality will takes us there?

Miggie might grow out his hair, wear a girls headband and pull down his socks and prove a point.

He might become our Paraguyan Brummie!! [emoji38]

Edited by BlazeT44

3 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Oddly, they seemed to be/do more than enough over the last 19 games. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

6 minutes ago, Lotus said:

We had some games last season during our run where the points accrued didn’t really reflect the game imo. Games like Leeds and Southampton to name just 2. If those were both draws no one would’ve complained. So we nicked a few points.

I've said that we had some very fortunate goals in some of those games, Shelveys free kick vs Leeds was lucky as was Trips deflected one vs Villa to name just a couple. Like you say a few of those results could have easily been draws.

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Would be suprised if we weren't trying to crack the top 4 the season after next like. I doubt Trippier was so eagre to come here to see out a gradual build into the top 7 [emoji38]

I think he's had long term plans beyond his playing career in mind when he came here.

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

I've said that we had some very fortunate goals in some of those games, Shelveys free kick vs Leeds was lucky as was Trips deflected one vs Villa to name just a couple. Like you say a few of those results could have easily been draws.

Get your point but we were pretty unlucky in a couple too.

Everton away

Chelsea away (Murphy clear pen)

25 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Did you watch the Arsenal game ? Only one team looked like they should be competing for the champions league mate, after Man City and Liverpool the league currently is nothing special.

Did you watch the Leicester game?

Did you watch the Spurs game?

Edited by arnonel

13 minutes ago, Lotus said:

On the subject of Botman. If he’s that progressive of a passer perhaps he’ll start with Lascelles. He’s a better athlete than Schar, vastly inferior footballer but does he need to be that much better if Botman is the main distributor from the back?

There is zero chance that Lascelles is anything other than cover for injuries going forward.

I think we can beat anyone on our day, outside top 3-4, but to say we could be challenging top 4 is mental, even top 6

We over achieved, and produced some spectacular results - but seriously...

Lets just enjoy a season where we are not odds on to go down

Edited by arnonel

3 minutes ago, JP said:

Get your point but we were pretty unlucky in a couple too.

Everton away

Chelsea away (Murphy clear pen)

Fair point and yeah luck does usually balance itself out of a period of time but I still feel it was in our favour alot of the time since January