Sven Botman: set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

13 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

So Fraser, Murphy, Almiron with their stellar attacking quality will takes us there?

Front 3 of Maxi, Wilson,Fraser sure why not. We will start the season with better as well. Wouldn't swap many forwards in the country with Wilson.

13 minutes ago, Nine said:

I've said that we had some very fortunate goals in some of those games, Shelveys free kick vs Leeds was lucky as was Trips deflected one vs Villa to name just a couple. Like you say a few of those results could have easily been draws.

But then we had some own goal and shockers of our own.....Darlow against Brentford for example 

4 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Front 3 of Maxi, Wilson,Fraser sure why not. We will start the season with better as well. Wouldn't swap many forwards in the country with Wilson.

29 games, 2 goals for Fraser

18 games, 8 goals for Wilson

37 games, 5 goals for ASM

34 games, 1 goal for Murphy

32 games, 1 goal for Almiron

you expect those players to get us top 4? Even with another signing or two which might get 10-20 goals over the season, we’re still miles behind the attacking capabilities of Tottenham, Arsenal etc. 

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

29 games, 2 goals for Fraser

18 games, 8 goals for Wilson

37 games, 5 goals for ASM

34 games, 1 goal for Murphy

32 games, 1 goal for Almiron

you expect those players to get us top 4? Even with another signing or two which might get 10-20 goals over the season, we’re still miles behind the attacking capabilities of Tottenham, Arsenal etc. 

I said next season with new signings top four, players we have now and finish above Arsenal.

Even with 8 new players over the next 2 seasons top 4 seems unrealistic. These teams have been competing for it for years. Have everyting in place and will also be improving year in, year out. 

If we get top 4 in the next 3-4 years we will have had some extreme luck, a couple of the T6 dying on their are and land some huge targets. 

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

I said next season with new signings top four, players we have now and finish above Arsenal.

Even with new signings though, we will have to get at least two players who will guarantee us double figures. The likes of Nketiah, Smith-Rowe and Saka all got that last year, and hence finished above us.  

32 minutes ago, Lotus said:

On the subject of Botman. If he’s that progressive of a passer perhaps he’ll start with Lascelles. He’s a better athlete than Schar, vastly inferior footballer but does he need to be that much better if Botman is the main distributor from the back?

Yes. There's no way Lascelles should be back in the lineup. 

Just now, Manxst said:

Even with new signings though, we will have to get at least two players who will guarantee us double figures. The likes of Nketiah, Smith-Rowe and Saka all got that last year, and hence finished above us.  

You do remember we had Steve Bruce and had a record low points total before Howe came in aye? We will make new signings.

What's with the policing of any over-optimism on here? Stranger things have happened than us being close to top 4 this season (not saying it's gonna happen so no need to jump down my throat) - Pardew getting us 5th for one [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Sean said:

What's with the policing of any over-optimism on here? Stranger things have happened than us being close to top 4 this season (not saying it's gonna happen so no need to jump down my throat) - Pardew getting us 5th for one [emoji38]

It's going to take 6 years apparently 😂😂😂.

If Pope, Targett, Botman, Schar, and Trips can play the majority of the season with good rotation with the backup defenders there’s absolutely no reason we can’t be looking at 8th at minimum. That’s a very good back line with an ability to defend, contribute assists and get some goals. 

My demand was only that we try. Even if we have a season that doesn't work out because of injuries or bad luck etc, I don't mind as long as it's obvious we're pushing in the right direction. I'd absolutely hate it if we immediately started getting arsey about not finishing top 10 as a fan base. 

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

One more transformative attacking player (wide right) and we start looking quite menacing full strength. 

The attacking players will be the ones who take us to the next level. Defense is absolutely sorted now, we even have a workable midfield for now. Another striker and RW will make such a difference.

23 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Even with 8 new players over the next 2 seasons top 4 seems unrealistic. These teams have been competing for it for years.

Have everyting in place and will also be improving year in, year out. 

If we get top 4 in the next 3-4 years we will have had some extreme luck, a couple of the T6 dying on their are and land some huge targets. 

In fact it is very unlikely, in fact historically it is almost impossible, for all the top 4 teams (at any time) to be "improving year in and year out".

They will change their personnel, as will we (which we currently have more scope for) with the objective of improvement.

However, those changes they make will very often either make them stay at roughly the same level (with different names) or will not work out, so will have actually made them worse.

Sometimes those changes will improve them.

Yes, with intelligent and hard working leadership at various levels (which we have and are still obtaining) there is great scope for the unique organisation that we now are (since October 2021) to catch up with some of those that are already at the level that we aspire to be at.

Edited by manorpark

If we get a couple of decent forward players, I'd say;

Realistic - 9th / 10th with a cup run

Optimistic -6th. That's finishing above the 'best of the rest' and rattling one of last year's top 6.

Of those, I really think Man U are there to be got at whilst they rebuild (again) - they were certainly a bit weak last season. Some form of European football would be a great lure for us to new players.

We should be challenging the teams that will be playing in Europe for their European place. Leicester struggled and you'd guess could have a better season without european football, though Ive not heard anything about any players theyre after. We definitely want to be pushing West Ham. I'd want a serious challenge for 7th looking at last season's table and given next seasons commitments. Anything beyond that is just pure fantasy at this stage. Arsenal and Man Utd will strengthen and well, by the sounds, so there's absolutely no guarantees about their quality and form next year. 

A first teamer CM, another wing option and another forward option and I'll allow myself to think may be we could push higher. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar