Lucas Digne

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not sure it's that embarrassing like. We're in serious danger of being a Championship club next term. Villa's 'project' is just further ahead of our own.

Well aye because Villa (and Gerrard) are doing the right things.

Do you think the PIF would have expected Villa to be a more attractive destination than us when they took over a couple of month ago?

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Do you think the PIF would have expected Villa to be a more attractive destination than us when they took over a couple of month ago?

Yes, because they’re currently higher in the league. Our long term potential is higher though, which is one of the main reasons why they chose us. 

4 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

We are in 19th

If we were in villas league place and they were in ours do you think it might be abit different

It's not all about money to players when in this day and age they're gonna be getting similar offers anyway

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

Long term definitely not, but short term they'd be delusional to think otherwise. The club had and still has no infrastructure, Steve Bruce was in charge and we had a squad who'd managed three points from eight games.

Villa on the other hand, as well as having the third richest owners in the league, have a working infrastructure and a solid squad. They've arguably upgraded their manager since aswell. They're easily a more attractive proposition at this moment in time.

If we survive, get a CEO and a DoF in, I think we can realistically target some bigger and better signings.

I don't buy it like, if we cannot convince players to look past our league position then I think we're doing something wrong.

It could be bollocks, Digne might not even want to go to Villa either who knows. The buzz around Villa Park since signing Courtinho shows us what signing players does though.

9 hours ago, triggs said:

Alreet Mike

I mean, I'm not sure why anybody would want to put themselves into the position Everton are currently in.

He'll be on a mental salary - some of their current players are going to get their backs up after he has 3 or 4 average games when they realise he isn't a left footed Cafu.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

If it was me and at this moment in time I'd have gone to villa also. They have better players and are almost guaranteed Premier league football next year. The team is going in the right direction and we aren't. That's not to say we can't turn this around and in the summer we maybe the preferred option to players that become available but for now we just aren't. Money isn't everything and we have to face the fact we might be in the championship next season.

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I don't buy it like, if we cannot convince players to look past our league position then I think we're doing something wrong.

How would you convince a top player to come? Other teams are paying more money. Other (all!) teams are higher in the league and/have a chance of playing in Europe. Other teams have elite training facilities. Other teams have elite medical facilities. Other teams have other quality players to play alongside. Most players will want to enjoy playing, not having to battle every single game in order to simply avoid relegation. 

All we can currently offer is future potential, and that doesn’t look too good when the current likelihood is we’re going to get relegated this season and won’t be pursuing that potential for at least another year or so. 

as fans of the club, we’d all undoubtedly sign for them as soon as there was interest, but for players who don’t have a vested personal interest in the club, I can see why a lot would choose to go elsewhere (this season/transfer window), unless they buy wholeheartedly into the ‘potential’ point. 

23 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It could be bollocks, Digne might not even want to go to Villa either who knows. The buzz around Villa Park since signing Courtinho shows us what signing players does though.

You are looking at it now, and that's fair enough, but ultimately I would think within the next couple of years we should overtake them - provided we can stay up. Fair play to Villa for ploughing big money into the squad, but ultimately no one has a bigger wallet than us. It was always going to take a year or two after we've had no investment for a decade. 

I'd reserve any judgement of our owners until deals are concluded. We're drawing conclusions based on links and hearsay, of which a fair share will be way off the mark, baring little resemblance to the reality. It could be that we have another player in our sights that we deem to be a better deal or a character more suited to us and what we're trying to build. I've been an admirer of Digne, however over the last 18 months he's been nothing more than average. There's other strong options out there in the likes of Tagliafico or Hickey who we may well have in our sights. 

5 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I don't think it's just wages though, Digne seems to have been dead set against signing all window.

Villa seem to have convinced the world that Steven Gerrard is going to reinvent Total Football or something. They're doing something right and I doubt it's just them overpaying.

They're also just in a far better position at the moment like. Hard to convince players to sign for us in 19th when they have offers from more stable clubs and the World Cup isn't that far away

52 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

If we wasn't fighting relegation I'm convinced he would come here.. our league position is the factor here not our pulling power.

I do think Gerrard is a factor in this- no disrespect to Howe but Gerrard is a bigger name in the game. I wouldn’t underestimate the impact of having a big name as manager. 

It’s exactly the sort of signing that will leave Villa in Everton’s position in 2/3 years from now, if they don’t make that breakthrough to being a top 4 club with CL money.

They simply are not a club that can carry a few players on wages that high.

Nor are we (right now) so it’s a good thing we’re not following that plan. It’s also entirely likely we’ll see a wage cap introduced at some point soon also.

2 minutes ago, duo said:

I do think Gerrard is a factor in this- no disrespect to Howe but Gerrard is a bigger name in the game. I wouldn’t underestimate the impact of having a big name as manager. 

Martin Samuels was pushing that line, but I don't really buy it. Coutinho went to Villa because he already knew him from when they played together, that's no different to Howe and Trippier having been at the same club. 

Digne seems to have preferred them more down to being further south, and currently in a far healthier league position. I don't think this has much to do with Gerrard. 

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

It’s exactly the sort of signing that will leave Villa in Everton’s position in 2/3 years from now, if they don’t make that breakthrough to being a top 4 club with CL money.

They simply are not a club that can carry a few players on wages that high.

Nor are we (right now) so it’s a good thing we’re not following that plan. It’s also entirely likely we’ll see a wage cap introduced at some point soon also.

I would have thought it'd destroy their wage structure.  I'd actually be surprised if they paid it as they are not as desperate for a LB as us.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

What makes you say that? Falling out with Rafa?

Plenty have done before who aren’t bad eggs. 

Because he picked Villa over us. He's obviously a fucking weasel. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Martin Samuels was pushing that line, but I don't really buy it. Coutinho went to Villa because he already knew him from when they played together, that's no different to Howe and Trippier having been at the same club. 

Digne seems to have preferred them more down to being further south, and currently in a far healthier league position. I don't think this has much to do with Gerrard. 

In World football every player knows who Gerrard is, I very much doubt the same can be said of Howe.  Just look at the Keegan affect and the players he attracted to the club in the early days.  It makes a difference.

Falling out with Rafa is one thing. 

it’s taking himself out of contention to play and having that type of attitude when he’s in a dressing room with some top top players around him. 

Whichever way you cut it, he’s not honoring his obligation to the club, fans and his teammates. Yeah that’s just a tiny bit shite to me. 

in our current predicament we need players who are buying into the project - even if it’s half a season loan. Too fragile of a losing mentality in our dressing room. 

26 minutes ago, Kanji said:

He sounds like a bad egg to have a camp as fragile as ours tbh so I’m fine with this 

I wouldn't think someone is a bad egg just because they fell out with Rafa mind. 

Has he had any other issues? VI was very complimentary of his attitude and he left his house to give first aid to victims of the terrorist attack in Barcelona when he was there. Seems a good lad based on that

Edited by triggs

I think with Digne it's just that he probably wants to break into the France squad for the World Cup and from his point of view it will be easier to do that at a safe midtable team than at a relegation threatened team probably with lots of new players that need to bed in.

With Coutinho, it's probably the personal link with Gerrard. They also have the money for both of course.

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah I don't think it's remotely true. It get's used a lot "his name will attract players!" when the reality is they don't give a fuck.  It's different to say Zidane who was a world class player and multiple CL winning manager. Players go for money/possibilty of trophies. Neves singed for Wolves under Nuno, who was not a big name in football. Wolves were also in the championship.

Players go where the money is (and rightly so, as we all would). If we blew Villa out of the water in wages for Coutinho and Digne, they’d both be playing here.

Sentimental bollocks for Stevie G is probably quite low down on their reasons.