Lucas Digne

Full marks to Villa's owners if they are paying the fee and wages here. Digne will be big big bucks.

Of course, the more other teams throw 120k plus a week at fullbacks, the less their fans can accuse us of buying our way up the league. I say 120k because that's what Digne is supposed to be on at Everton.

Bit embarrassing if we cannot convince players to sign ahead of Villa like [emoji38]

If we go into Watford having only signed a right back then I'll be wondering if we're taking staying in the league seriously like. Or if they're fully aware of how bad our squad is. We're desperate for a left back and Digne is absolutely perfect.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Bit embarrassing if we cannot convince players to sign ahead of Villa like [emoji38]

If we go into Watford having only signed a right back then I'll be wondering if we're taking staying in the league seriously like. Or if they're fully aware of how bad our squad is. We're desperate for a left back and Digne is absolutely perfect.

That assumes that we've bid, had the bid accepted, offered a contract - and he's plumped for Villa.

I think the story that we walked away early having realised what his salary demands are is the truth.  Because those 'European football / wants to live in London' stories have proven to be utter bollocks.

I think for so many, it has been a long time since we were actually trying to have a sensible transfer policy that we've forgotten what it is like going in for players.

Some will join, some won't.  Digne is a good player, but he's hardly Maldini.  Move on and forget him

I don't think it's just wages though, Digne seems to have been dead set against signing all window.

Villa seem to have convinced the world that Steven Gerrard is going to reinvent Total Football or something. They're doing something right and I doubt it's just them overpaying.

I think it would have been good to get him but at the same time I’m convinced we also have some decent plans for this window. 

It was mentioned in the press the club believes getting Trippier done was important to convincing other targets to join us. Digne isn’t the only game in town and was on the price side in terms of wages. 

12 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I don't think it's just wages though, Digne seems to have been dead set against signing all window.

Villa seem to have convinced the world that Steven Gerrard is going to reinvent Total Football or something. They're doing something right and I doubt it's just them overpaying.

There definitely seems to be something in that

30 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Don't underestimate SG pull. 

52 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

I think for so many, it has been a long time since we were actually trying to have a sensible transfer policy that we've forgotten what it is like going in for players.

Some will join, some won't.  Digne is a good player, but he's hardly Maldini.  Move on and forget him

That’s my Maldigne joke ruined, then.

4 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I'm not sure it's that embarrassing like. We're in serious danger of being a Championship club next term. Villa's 'project' is just further ahead of our own.