More transfer rumours

midds

9 minutes ago, Bompeter said:

Selling ASM to fund the purchase of a good striker, then selling Bruno to fund the purchase of a good wide forward to replace ASM wouldn't be bad business this summer IMVHO. 

yee on smack?

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Interesting comments from Howe. I’m taking the financial restrictions to be FFP. (Even though we know this isn’t an object at this point). It’s the smart thing to say regardless though. 

It's not the first time it's been said and it won't be last. No one would ever say we are going to be spending big money! It wouldn't be sensible for one, they want other clubs to be aware they won't be paying over the odds.

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

I was saying yesterday it will be over 100m but no more than 150m, anyone whos expecting a massive spend of a few hundred million will be disappointed. 

Mongs aside, I haven’t seen anyone seriously expect us to spend a few hundred million. 

11 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Mongs aside, I haven’t seen anyone seriously expect us to spend a few hundred million. 

Some people have been saying it will be much more than 150ish [emoji38], and yes 150m is a massive spend but not compared to January, our wealth and more importantly it still leaves us with alot of wiggle room with FFP going forward. For what I think we need to prioritise this summer 150 will be about right. 

The key positions for me are CB, CM, RW and ST. Those are the 4 that should take up the biggest chunk of our spending, priority being the attacking positions. If you look at the goals during our good run alot of them had some fortune about them or were out and out set pieces or both, a couple deflected FKs, a couple of own goals etc. We really lack fluid attacking movement on the right side, and the left only looks good when ASM is playing and in some good form.. how different would we have looked with Wilson instead of Wood? Defo better but as we know hes not to be relied on because of his fitness issues. Frasers a good workhorse and has been playing out of his skin for us under Howe but the quality just isnt there most of the time, this position could be massively upgraded for no transfer spend in Lingaard (would be big on wages but not out of our range). 

Edited by Nine

14 minutes ago, Kanji said:

100-150m is a massive spend though :lol:

Wait. Arnt you the person who disagreed with me yesterday when I said 150m and then you told me it will be 'a fuck ton more'? [emoji38] So if 150 is massive what would you call what you are expecting? 

Edited by Nine

18 hours ago, midds said:

Now they've actually persevered and bought the club and thrown enough cash around in January to secure safety I think they'll have a right pop at it this summer. I get the impression they're not for fucking around and giving it a decade to start challenging, I think they'll go for it and make up as much distance as soon as possible and if that means a net spend of £150m+ then I think they'll do it. Why wouldn't they? Wait there, frustrated for 2 years to piss about with £60-80m windows? Don't think that's their style. They want it and they want it asap. And they'll pay to get it. 

Aye we're too accustomed to the Ashley half/quarter/fuck all measures. Players like Trippier and Bruno would have almost certainly been given assurances that we're not gonna wait. 150 would probably cover departures alone, not to even mention the players that would push us forward. Think it'll be a ridiculous summer.

I think we go about it like we did in January.  We’ll have our maximum spend on a player by player basis.  If Sevilla or Botmans clubs played ball we’d have spent close to 200m in January alone. 

For the right deals we go big. 

I don’t think we try to replace players for the sake of it.  

Be really interesting to see if and how we get rid of Clark, Fede, Ritchie Lewis, Shortstaff, a few GKs, Hayden, Gayle, Hendrick osv.

Reckon Dummett will leave on a free. Think both Schar and Longstaff will sign new deals.

Don't think we'll get much, if anything, for them if we want their full wages off our books. We have almost an entire starting XI with players who will be hard to sell.

The exact same thing was said before the January transfer window. There will be big funds spent (not ridiculous amounts), as they're not going to advertise the amounts they have. The clueless jlaw and co from RTG will no doubt be clamping at the bit about it though. In fact they are [emoji38]

Exactly what I'd expect a club with a bottomless pit to say. They aren't going to advertise to everyone that they are going to spend big in the summer, that would be stupid as it would obviously just inflate prices for us.

The article in the Northern Echo about Newcastle being in for Eriksen just about sums up what journalists know.

"Newcastle’s Saudi Arabia-based backers will continue to provide strong financial assistance, but as was the case during the January window [we were the 2nd biggest spenders in Europe and could have spent a whole lot more], Howe and the rest of the Magpies’ recruitment team will not be issued with a blank cheque........The Magpies will offer the midfielder a significant increase on his current wages at Brentford, and will be willing to match or better any other offer Eriksen receives from his other Premier League suitors.[that is almost the definition of a blank check]"

Do journalists not realise that they keep on contradicting themselves like the article above or will talk about a limited budget one day and then bids for Botman etc. the next.

38 minutes ago, macphisto said:

The article in the Northern Echo about Newcastle being in for Eriksen just about sums up what journalists know.

"Newcastle’s Saudi Arabia-based backers will continue to provide strong financial assistance, but as was the case during the January window [we were the 2nd biggest spenders in Europe and could have spent a whole lot more], Howe and the rest of the Magpies’ recruitment team will not be issued with a blank cheque........The Magpies will offer the midfielder a significant increase on his current wages at Brentford, and will be willing to match or better any other offer Eriksen receives from his other Premier League suitors.[that is almost the definition of a blank check]"

Do journalists not realise that they keep on contradicting themselves like the article above or will talk about a limited budget one day and then bids for Botman etc. the next.

We’re about two weeks out from “Newcastle’s budget for the summer will only be in the high tens of millions” followed in the next paragraph by “extra funds will be made available for marquee signings.”

If we can outcompete everyone else for the likes of Kamara, Dybala and Belotti, that's already 120 mil saved on a CDM, No. 10 and striker lol. Hard work convincing them to come here though.