More transfer rumours

midds

13 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Watching that video of Cannibaga, he's not afraid to come deep. I think Bruno and he would make an interesting pivot. With either Shelvey, or Willock adding the extra dimension where relevant.

Cannibaga the same person as Paquetá?

You'd like to see us invest all over but it probably won't take that much to take us to the level above where we are. Recruit well up front and RW and we'll be a top half team no bother imo. 

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Agree with this.  I think a lot of the talk has been around a striker, wide player, CB and goalkeeper.  All guesswork, of course.  But swap GK for DM and I think they are the positions we need to strengthen the most.  

Aye, while Shelvey has improved no end under Howe, he pretty much plays the same role as Bruno, just much less effectively. They both tend to end up in similar parts of the pitch. Depending on whether Howe wants to go with two or three in the middle, we could look for another good all rounder, or an attacking midfielder, in the mould of Paqueta to add creativity and goals to the midfield.

Again, Fraser has improved massively under Howe, but he's really limited on the right. Having a genuine threat out on the right will not only add direct goal threat, but it'll mean the opposition can no longer double and sometimes triple up on ASM, which could also increase his output.

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Again, Fraser has improved massively under Howe, but he's really limited on the right. Having a genuine threat out on the right will not only add direct goal threat, but it'll mean the opposition can no longer double and sometimes triple up on ASM, which could also increase his output.

Does teams putting two/three men on ASM reflect well on Targett? Surely he should be one of the first players looking to capitalise? Maybe that's why we might be looking at other players like Lodi.

I think Targett is just fine for the role, but if this Lodi chap is that good and they don’t want anyone else getting in this summer they might make a move.. but I think if that was unlikely Howe would be more than happy with Targett.

You have to remember, someone else is also calling the shots transfer wise. Ashworth will be talking directly with the owners so he’ll have to try and match their aspirations too.

I have a feeling the sudden resurgence of the team has given them the confidence to make a go of it ahead of schedule?

20 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Does teams putting two/three men on ASM reflect well on Targett? Surely he should be one of the first players looking to capitalise? Maybe that's why we might be looking at other players like Lodi.

Maybe, but then again it’s almost impossible to overlap ASM because you never know when or where he’s going. And you also have to be ready to defend in case he loses the ball. 

Interesting though, I honestly hadn’t thought about anything except just signing Targett ASAP. 

Would anyone be disappointed if we didn’t upgrade Wilson and instead filled the gap in between him and Wood? Perhaps a younger player that could learn from being around this squad for a season or two and step in for Wilson through injury or just for a tactically different approach? Not sure if Ekitike fits this bill as I think he should be playing week in week out if possible, but another player of that age with a lot of potential that could be fulfilled? Ideally we bring in a better/more reliable player than Wilson of course but I might not be suprised if we take the other route.

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, Nine said:

Would anyone be disappointed if we didn’t upgrade Wilson and instead filled the gap in between him and Wood? Perhaps a younger player that could learn from being around this squad for a season or two and step in for Wilson through injury or just for a tactically different approach? Not sure if Ekitike fits this bill as I think he should be playing week in week out if possible, but another player of that age with a lot of potential that could be fulfilled? Ideally we bring in a better/more reliable player than Wilson of course but I might not be suprised if we take the other route.

We need a striker in who will consistently lead the line.

Edited by reefatoon

Guest HTT II

We need a fully fit, mobile, athletic all-rounder CF and Wilson isn’t it! We will spend big on a CF, I expect us to put a big bid in for Nunez, whether we’ll get him is another matter…

6 minutes ago, Nine said:

Probably need to do both. 

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

Really like Wilson and listening to his podcast it sounds like a proper challenge from another CF would get him going.

Don’t think he needs to get going- his attitude and application have never been in question. He just needs to stay injury free, which is obviously out of his hands and which looks unlikely to occur.

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Probably need to do both. 

Oh agreed, big ask over one window though. Ultimately it will obviously depend on which player is available for what..

You have to be cold when making the decisions Eddie Howe will have to make.. 

Can he keep Shelvey another year? Sure he can but let’s look at the situation, Bruno can do everything Shelvey can and then some..

Short passing  

Long passing  

Tackling

Pressing

Except he’s more progressive. And he has that sudden burst of pace to get in ahead of other players that Shelvey just never had to begin with. So that’s the dilemma, keep someone in the team when you have another player who can do all the same things, but better. Or drop him and bring someone in who can make an impact.

What about ASM, I think it’s been shown that Joelinton can be just as effective out wide.. he might not beat players in the same way as ASM but he’s capable of driving the ball forward and then plays a simple pass. ASM will rarely do this, (although he was better in 2nd half against Norwich)

Willock is probably worth a place in the side, but I sort of have a feeling of square pegs, round holes with all of our midfielders.. there’s no combination that looks totally balanced.

Longstaff is probably the worst of our options there but we also need players who aren’t going to kick up a fuss when not playing.. that’s definitely him. 

It’s definitely an interesting quandary to have.

To date, the message has been from the club that this will be a gradual rebuild, which lends support for players like Shelvey, Fraser, Schar etc continuing at the club for the next couple seasons as the squad redevelops.

However, the comments from Bruno’s agent suggest that the plan presented to prospective signings is far more ambitious and immediate i.e. targeting CL qualification. With the greatest of respect to the mentioned players, they’re not going to get you to that aim.

I would prefer to see a smaller number of signings this summer, but all of real starting quality.