More transfer rumours

midds

2 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Fernandinho is club captain and doesnt start and City are doing okay.

One is 36, at the end of their career and the other is 28 at what should be the peak of their career. Not sure they're comparable. 

12 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Signing a £50m fullback suggests a push for European football next season and a CL push the following season.

Yep. From Bruno’s agent’s comments, he hasn’t signed to spend his peak years going from 10th to 8th to 6th to 4th or whatever. I think 2 years we’ll be aiming for top 4.

25 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Was their age the question?

No, the question was about keeping a player club captain who doesn't start every match. You gave the example of Fernandinho who is in the twilight of his career which is completely different to Lascelles who is at the peak of his career.  

There's plenty of examples of captains at the end of their career not starting every match (Bryan Robson is one example) but I can't think of one at the peak of their career. It's naturally accepted by supporters and players that aging captains don't start every match whilst someone at the age of Lascelles would be a running joke. The alternative is to remove the captaincy which wouldn't bode well after he's held out for so long.

That's why age is linked to the example of Fernandinho.

Edited by macphisto

15 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Selling Lascelles would be a mistake. He's not the most likeable person in the squad (from our point of view) but I think it's pretty clear that he's been instrumental in fostering a certain culture in the dressing room over the years. By all accounts he's still the leader and he'll be an important character to help transition into what we're going to become. Evolution not revolution!

I wouldn't want Lascelles moved either especially if we play 3 at the back.  The club isn't going to get turned over and I still think Lascelles will have a big role to play in a back 3.  Assume we sign Schar:

Schar, Lascelles, Burn, Krafth (?) new, young left footer (?)  and what if they don't sign Schar?  What if Howe is ok with Krafth as cover for Trippier at RWB?  They will need some continuity going forward.

Ward-Prowse would be decent, a good replacement for Shelvey in that midfield 3 and 3yrs younger. Not a signing that I'd be hugely excited about but definitely one that shows we are moving in the right direction. 

Ward Prowse is certainly a player that would excel with more quality around him.

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Can’t see us stumping up €60m for a 29 year old. Botman yes, but not Carlos.

Aye, I can’t see this one happening!

Guest HTT II

By the way, I wouldn’t be put off by his age, you’d probably get 3-4 good years out of him. CB’s mature later and can play into their 30s easily. Just look at Siva at Chelsea, obviously he has been a world-class player where as Carlos is a bit of an unknown. His attributes are exactly what we need mind, pace, power, aggression and athleticism so we can play higher up the pitch and play it out from back. Ake would be cheaper and much better!

8 hours ago, HTT II said:

By the way, I wouldn’t be put off by his age, you’d probably get 3-4 good years out of him. CB’s mature later and can play into their 30s easily. Just look at Siva at Chelsea, obviously he has been a world-class player where as Carlos is a bit of an unknown. His attributes are exactly what we need mind, pace, power, aggression and athleticism so we can play higher up the pitch and play it out from back. Ake would be cheaper and much better!

One of his major attributes is his pace and power. While I agree that he'll probably still retain those for the next two to three years, I don't think we'd want to pay €60m for the privilege, because those attributes are going to decline after that. By the time we are in a position to be playing CL he might well be on the way down, so I think we'll look to build incrementally. Botman would be a much better investment long term.

14 hours ago, STM said:

https://todofichajes.com/

According to this lot, we have agreed to sign Diego Carlos. Although I'm not sure the reputation.

Also, sorry if giggs.

Recently got to watch Barca play Seville at Camp Nou. Kept a really close eye on Carlos...

Really confident, an absolute specimen of an athlete and actually had a lot of composure. Seemed similar to Schar in his approach to bring the ball out, but with a little more of a steely edge defensively. No real scout report or anything new, but was good to see him live. Definitely looked the real deal.

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

8 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Not saying there’s anything in it, but interesting to consider if that was a scenario. I’d be fucking delighted with that outcome.

I’d take Paqueta over both. 

3 minutes ago, Mikky said:

No thanks 

Why not? Seems decent from YouTube scouting. Second top scorer in La Liga after  Benzema. 

edit: 15 goals from 30 league appearances for Espanyol this season sounds decent. Good record previous years too. 

Edited by Manxst