More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

Never been impressed with Henderson. Always looked pretty run-of-the-mill in goalkeeper terms.

What are his strengths and weaknesses? I was pretty zoned out during his loan spell at Sheff United (Ashley, Bruce, etc), so no idea how good he is really.

25 minutes ago, LV said:

Is he really £15m better than Dubravka?

Only marginally from what I can remember, but he's 8 years younger and can improve. For £15m I can understand us being interested. 

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think Dubravka showed second half of last season he could still do a job as number 1 for another season. He made the odd mistake but overall he was solid. 

Feels like Henderson provides proper cover/challenger that darlow doesn’t.

I think Henderson would be a good signing - though this is on the basis that we retain Dubravka.  Having two decent PL quality goalkeepers seems like a minimum requirement to me - we shouldn't let too many years of Ashley make us forget that

17 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think Henderson would be a good signing - though this is on the basis that we retain Dubravka.  Having two decent PL quality goalkeepers seems like a minimum requirement to me - we shouldn't let too many years of Ashley make us forget that

Which other premier league teams have two good goalkeepers?  There always seems to be a massive gulf between first and second choice, even at the very top teams.  The backup.keeper at city, for example, has always looked terrible whenever ive seen him play 

Yeah the issue is that once Dubravka gets in the side, there’s literally nobody challenging him for the spot, Darlow just accepts his fate.

I see Eddie Howe saying to Henderson, show me why you should be no.1 and let them compete 

Why not sign a goalkeeper who is a definite upgrade on Dubravka (i.e. unambiguous top six quality) or wait until one becomes available? That should be the general mindset behind squad improvement this summer across the board. 

5 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Yeah the issue is that once Dubravka gets in the side, there’s literally nobody challenging him for the spot, Darlow just accepts his fate.

I see Eddie Howe saying to Henderson, show me why you should be no.1 and let them compete 

Yet Callum Wilson seems to not need the challenge, plays as well as he can regardless. I don't get this idea of players being better when their place is under threat, in fact the opposite could happen. However the idea of having very good replacements, so good it's hard to choose, is one I can get on board with.

6 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Sounds great in principle, but goalkeeper is unlike any other position.  They just dont get rotated, other than for cup games.  You're either first choice, or you're on the bench

There's no reason, bar weird tradition, that you can't have two rotating keepers.

1 hour ago, Izakaya said:

There's no reason, bar weird tradition, that you can't have two rotating keepers.

Bucking tradition leaves you open to criticism when things go wrong. And they will go wrong eventually. Goalkeepers do make errors. The proper football men will have a field day.  Not that that’s a valid reason.

Was just thinking about much I hate Danny Murphy.

4 hours ago, Izakaya said:

It would basically mean a manager didn't know what they were doing and couldn't decide who was the best keeper. You don't have to manage the fitness of goal keepers as much as other players so why would a manager not always play the person they considered their best keeper?

4 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Henderson would be a Wood signing. He’s crap. 

Complete and utter horseshit.

Pretty sure you say this kind of thing every time an English player is linked though :lol:

Recall you doing the same for Targett and Nketiah in January.