More transfer rumours

midds

I think although they may be available for a reason that it’s sensible to sign some of these possibly high rep players for low money which they are available at. Just one or even 2 but these players could come in and transform the team rather than shipping out 40-50mil on a risk.

Just now, Shearergol said:

When's that? End of August?

Aye, should be. 

im certain we will see something over the next couple of weeks though, players coming back from holidays and resuming training should unfreeze things a bit. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

When the transfer window closes (seriously). 

Having too many deals done last day will mean we haven’t done good enough.

Edited by Ikon

If we keep the 4-3-3, Paqueta is the best option for the third midfielder. Made even sweeter because he is left footed. Bruno deep, with Paqueta and Joelinton as the more forward central midfielders would be ridiculous.

He'd cost a lot though, and so just not sure it's feasible for us right now. Because of the other signings we are trying to make, I don't think we are looking to spend more than around £30 million for that position.

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

What date do people (not twitter people) start to feel concerned then? Once pre-season games start?

I'm fairly confident Howe could make top 10 with his current squad, players like Botman, Jesus and Paqueta would take us much higher up the league and I'm confident the current management structure are professional enough to not panic. I think the likes of Man U need to be very concerned with getting rid of players and trying to bring in better replacements.

8 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

What date do people (not twitter people) start to feel concerned then? Once pre-season games start?

I think three (that's Targett + 3 more) in by the start of pre-season would be fine.

You can sometimes pick up a good deal or two (or loans) as the window is closing so I wouldn't be concerned if we hadn't done all of our business by then.

Edit - by the start of pre-season I meant middle of July, didn't realise they are back in just a couple of weeks. Either way, a week of pre-season with mostly the current squad will give Howe a chance to assess what we need.

Edited by Keegans Export

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

I’m sure we can afford Paqueta. It should be done imo. Too good to miss out on. 

Then get him revealed on the NUFC social media account climbing to the top of the Tyne Bridge

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

I’m sure we can afford Paqueta. It should be done imo. Too good to miss out on. 

You're not sure though. No one is :lol:

We are about to pay somewhere around £60 million for Ekitike and Botman, Paqueta for £50 million takes us to £110 million already, on just three players. Ans we'd need to bring in a high quality wide player still.

Now, in my opinion, I would probably have preferred to look at less expensive options than Ekitike and Botman, in order to add Paqueta to the first team. For example, the striker Forest just signed Taiwo Awoniyi cost £17 million and Evan Ndicka is available for £19 million. If getting those two instead of Eitike and Botman meant we could add Paqueta, I think I'd do that instead.

13 minutes ago, r0cafella said:
14 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

When the transfer window closes (seriously).

Spot on. There's a shit-ton to do, not least enticing other clubs with our deadwood to free up room in the squad for more signings. Meanwhile every selling club/agent is in a decent negotiating position given how public our budget is. 

I'd put money on the last week of the transfer window being our busiest one as people become more inclined to accept reasonable offers. 

17 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I was thinking to myself last night that could this takeover not be as great as everyone was thinking. Seems like Spurs, Villa, West Ham spunking millions and we've had nowt for weeks. Then I read Ashley might be getting a small stake back in the club on the Ashley thread. Thankfully I came to my senses and realised we'd chucked £25m at Wood and £40m on Bruno in January so the ambition is certainly there still 

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You're not sure though. No one is :lol:

We are about to pay somewhere around £60 million for Ekitike and Botman, Paqueta for £50 million takes us to £110 million already, on just three players. Ans we'd need to bring in a high quality wide player still.

Now, in my opinion, I would probably have preferred to look at less expensive options than Ekitike and Botman, in order to add Paqueta to the first team. For example, the striker Forest just signed Taiwo Awoniyi cost £17 million and Evan Ndicka is available for £19 million. If getting those two instead of Eitike and Botman meant we could add Paqueta, I think I'd do that instead.

With a bit of luck that £110 million could be spread over 5 years and we could make a few quid on outgoings.

Just now, Pokerprince2004 said:

I was thinking to myself last night that could this takeover not be as great as everyone was thinking. Seems like Spurs, Villa, West Ham spunking millions and we've had nowt for weeks. Then I read Ashley might be getting a small stake back in the club on the Ashley thread. Thankfully I came to my senses and realised we'd chucked £25m at Wood and £40m on Bruno in January so the ambition is certainly there still 

We bought Matt Targett two weeks ago :lol:

I have no doubt we will be busy but it is important to understand the glass ceiling of FFP makes progress slow and incremental. 

17 minutes ago, KaKa said:

If we keep the 4-3-3, Paqueta is the best option for the third midfielder. Made even sweeter because he is left footed. Bruno deep, with Paqueta and Joelinton as the more forward central midfielders would be ridiculous.

I actually disagree with this. I don’t think that midfield 3 is industrious enough vs the better sides of the PL, it would probably work decently against the bottom 6-8 sides but would struggle against the rest. To play Bruno and Paqueta in the same midfield I think they need to both be the front 2 with a very good Fabinho type DM behind them, a lot of us have our heart set on Paqueta but for me I just can’t see how he fits into this side in his natural position if Bruno is to play as the DLP.

Edited by Nine

Just now, r0cafella said:

We bought Matt Targett two weeks ago :lol:

I have no doubt we will be busy but it is important to understand the glass ceiling of FFP makes progress slow and incremental. 

We also spunked £3 million on an Admin.

RE Paqueta, something we’ve heard repeatedly is if someone is available for the right price, the deal will be done regardless of budget. 

If Paqueta happens, it will be at the end of the window. By all accounts Lyon want to sell, the price will only drop the closer we get to deadline day. 

same with Lingard, apparently we cooled our interest due to wage demands, but he hasn’t got a contract elsewhere yet. Closer we get to the end of the window, his demands will lower (although I am not fussed if we sign him or not)

I'm honestly so chilled about this window.

Have a huge amount of trust in the new owners and, even if we do nothing more than what we've already done, I'm just delighted not to have to worry about those previous toxic pricks ruining everything I've ever cared about.

To be in love again is more than enough for me and it'll take a fucking long time to migrate my feelings away from just pure gratitude tbh.

I'm still on cloud nine following last October and I don't wanna come back down to the nitty gritty of 'will he, won't he?' etc.

I'm very happy to be floating along on a cloud of optimism and gratitude for a long while yet.

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

I actually disagree with this. I don’t think that midfield 3 is industrious enough vs the better sides of the PL, it would probably work decently against the bottom 6-8 sides but would struggle against the rest. To play Bruno and Paqueta in the same midfield I think they need to both be the front 2 with a very good Fabinho type DM behind them, a lot of us have our heart set on Paqueta but for me I just can’t see how he fits into this side in his natural position if Bruno is to play as the DLP.

Surprisingly enough, it would be one of the more industrious trios in the league. Take a look at each of their statistical breakdowns on fbref.com, the last box shows their stats for pressures and tackles, and they all rank highly in those.

https://fbref.com/en/players/c17bfb65/Joelinton

https://fbref.com/en/players/82518f62/Bruno-Guimaraes

https://fbref.com/en/players/9b6f7fd5/Lucas-Paqueta