More transfer rumours

midds

Guest HTT II
8 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I'd be happy to start the season now, tbh. Last season was a rescue job, this season foundation and next season transition. 

Were a much stronger outfit than the start of last season, and we still have more to come from this squad. ASM was totally out of sorts last time round, Wilson injured for a huge part of it, wood pressured to fill his goals and all players are playing a couple of gears above where they were this time last year. A new keeper as dubs is either injured or flapping, a full season with a proper LB, trippier and Bruno, and we've the likes of Anderson to show what he is made of. Not to mention Burn & Schar partnership is still canny without any bodies coming in. Even Longstaff was turning it around end of season, it probably ended at the wrong time for him.

Full season of feel good factor as well whilst progress is made off field. We're easily top 10 atm, anyone else coming in isn't going to push us massively on, not until we can get bigger sponsors in, so an additional place or 2 I'm not concerned about. It's being able to compete and not be a shambles fighting against relegation I'm looking forward to, so if we bring anyone else in from here, I'm honestly floating.  

I’d agree with that, but 3 more Bruno type signings and and I think we can push higher up and try and target Europe.

Guest HTT II
Just now, gbandit said:

I think we can overtake Leicester for sure, West Ham will probably be out of reach unless they pick up some injuries or someone bangs Moyes’s daughter 

I can see WHU doing an Everton under Moyes, one stellar season followed by an average one which is Moyes’ typical MO.

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

I'd say 8th. Think both Leicester and west ham is a big overtake at this stage of our project. But no point in not having ambition, just hope we don't get to whiny if we aim for it and miss out.

8th would be A- season for me. 

I have a funny feeling that West Ham will regress this year. 

The aim has to be 4th. Realistically its 6/7 but we need to be able to take advantage of any slip from Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea/Man Utd and history suggests that there will always be 1 or 2 from the expected top 6 that have below par seasons

Just now, HTT II said:

I can see WHU doing an Everton under Moyes, one stellar season followed by an average one which is Moyes’ typical MO.

I think the major issue for West Ham will be goals. They relied on Bowen scoring a lot last season and it’s unlikely he’ll do as well next season. They desperately need a quality striker but I imagine they’ll get one 

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

I’d agree with that, but 3 more Bruno type signings and and I think we can push higher up and try and target Europe.

Nothing wrong with trying. Leicester could stutter again, the wheels could fall off at Wham or Ten Hag massively flops and opens up opportunity. We need to be ready to pounce, I guess that's what you and others are saying. Which is fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We are at least 3 top signings away from being anywhere near capable of challenging for top 7 

We were 7 points off that position last year and we were missing Wilson for most of it.

There are countless factors that can dictate where we finish, injuries being one of them but I'd say with a fit Wilson for 75% of the season, we will finish top 8. Its clear that we need a second striker to mitigate for his absence.

As we have seen with Bruno, one signing can be transformative. Who that or them signings would be, God knows.

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We are at least 3 top signings away from being anywhere near capable of challenging for top 7 

We finished 7 points behind West Ham last season. Say we won the Everton and Chelsea games, which we arguably could/should have won. That’s puts us one point off 7th place. And that’s with a half season of Bruce in charge.

Edit: What STM said.

Edited by gazza ladra

1 hour ago, JP said:

Two defensive signings so far then.

I'd expect to see something happen at the other end of the pitch for us next.

Ritchie/Gayle out to make the room.

Wishful thinking acknowledged, but if we were going big on anyone (or two ?) it would be predicable and sensible for them to be the final signings of the window. See what we’ve got left, what we need, let the unrealistic overinflated prices trickle down and keep the ‘we’ve only got so much to spend’ anti-rip-off card visible. Business tekkers! 

Just now, STM said:

We were 7 points off that position last year and we were missing Wilson for most of it.

There are countless factors that can dictate where we finish, injuries being one of them but I'd say with a fit Wilson for 75% of the season, we will finish top 8. Its clear that we need a second striker to mitigate for his absence.

As we have seen with Bruno, one signing can be transformative. Who that or them signings would be, God knows.

I think some people are forgetting just how bad our attacking play was last season. Don’t get me wrong we did incredibly well to go on the run we did but I’m betting we wouldn’t do it again with the same players.

The likes of Fraser, Almiron and Murphy aren’t ever going to be good enough to get a side in the top 7.  I also don’t think we can go into the season with Shelvey starting if we want to push for top 7.

We may of course bring in the required for players to help us push, but as the squad stands currently I think 9/10th would be our best hope.

1 minute ago, gazza ladra said:

We finished 7 points behind West Ham last season. Say we won the Everton and Chelsea games, which we arguably could/should have won. That’s puts us one point off 7th place. And that’s with a half season of Bruce in charge.

Edit: What STM said.

We would have finished sixth if we had averaged the points per game Howe accumulated in the last 25 games, over the course of the whole season. So we are not far away really. 

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

He is good. A modern wing back who is surprisingly strong defensively despite his tender-ish frame. I want him in the first XI at the world cup.

can he play LB in a four? doesn’t seem to fit the profile of someone who’d come and be a backup to Targett.

Guest HTT II
9 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I really think Broja just suffered from a)being young and inconsistent b)Southampton having those weird patches of form. 

I think he would do well here. The Mitro but mobile comparison is bang on imo

I like him, he has all the attributes, a quicker footed and more mobile Mitrovic without the red mist and with Southampton they are a streak form team, and usually end seasons out of form massively. Remember the let’s finish the season now stuff their social media team posted when they went top once. And again, for me, we do need more goals in the team and I know you don’t rate Wood, but it’s more about what a player gives to the team overall right now. Keep Wilson fit and he scores 15 + for me. 

7 minutes ago, STM said:

Yes, but all the other clubs around us are likely going to strengthen. Also last seasons form was incredible it’s highly unlikely we have form like that next season. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think some people are forgetting just how bad our attacking play was last season. Don’t get me wrong we did incredibly well to go on the run we did but I’m betting we wouldn’t do it again with the same players.

The likes of Fraser, Almiron and Murphy aren’t ever going to be good enough to get a side in the top 7.  I also don’t think we can go into the season with Shelvey starting if we want to push for top 7.

We may of course bring in the required for players to help us push, but as the squad stands currently I think 9/10th would be our best hope.

West Hams attacking play wasn't scintillating either and by the end of the season we looked very good going forward, although I get your point about needing more attacking threat and I think we will get it.

I think Fraser is good enough to be a tip 7 player, if you can keep him fit for long enough but we need more options.

I'm fairly sure that the stats show that we are better side when Shelvey is in it.

3 minutes ago, Big River said:

can he play LB in a four? doesn’t seem to fit the profile of someone who’d come and be a backup to Targett.

He can and does at Feyenoord. I don't think he'd come to sit on Newcastle's bench though :lol:

Guest HTT II
16 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Nothing wrong with trying. Leicester could stutter again, the wheels could fall off at Wham or Ten Hag massively flops and opens up opportunity. We need to be ready to pounce, I guess that's what you and others are saying. Which is fair enough. 

I think the team that is most consistent against everyone below or around them will come out on top, the top 4 are untouchable really unless one has a really awful season and someone has a great season to let an ‘outsider’ into the top 4. We showed under Howe we were performing very consistently. Leicester seem to end seasons on a downward and WHU did that too towards the end of last season, We should be aiming, if we get some Bruno type quality players in, for 8-6th IMO.

Guest HTT II
18 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I think the major issue for West Ham will be goals. They relied on Bowen scoring a lot last season and it’s unlikely he’ll do as well next season. They desperately need a quality striker but I imagine they’ll get one 

They seem to get a lot of goals or most of their goals in a spread out fashion, Moyes’ teams have always been like that. They should realistically be a target of ours for their place in the league.

Where we finish will certainly depend on who improves and who backslides. I figure Tottenham, Arsenal, Villa, and Man United will be better. Wolves, West Ham, Leceister City, Brighton will not. I don’t think Liverpool will be as good either, but still finish 2nd comfortably.  Other than the ESL teams who is spending  this summer? Aren’t  WH supposed to lose Rice?

Guest HTT II

I think City will run away with the league, closely followed by LFC, Spurs will be very strong next season, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd will all flatter to deceive and it will be a toss up between them 3 who finishes 4th with one team capable, outside of them, gatecrashing the top 4, it won’t be us. I think Villa will be very inconsistent and I can see them mid-table come January. If Brighton can sign a true goalscorer they could have a stellar season. 

Edited by HTT II

9 minutes ago, gdm said:

Yes, but all the other clubs around us are likely going to strengthen. Also last seasons form was incredible it’s highly unlikely we have form like that next season. 

Fair point. We don’t want to be relying on an against all reason/the odds run of form. Fact is though, we will strengthen and we are not far away from being a likely top eight finish. With significantly better choices (in the squad: In sha'Allah… ) then who knows, it could be an incredibly exciting time ahead finding out!