More transfer rumours

midds

11 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

That's fair.

I guess my thinking is that we need to be signing someone who will start over Wilson, who in turn needs to be used as the backup and not our main goal threat. I know he's really good, but he's completely unreliable over a season.

Even if we brought someone like Osimhen I would expect Howe to spend the first part of the season bedding them in. So I agree with buying someone to replace Wilson but expect it to be a transition and hopefully fight for the shirt that brings the best out of both.

1 hour ago, STM said:

It's about getting good deals as much as anything. I don't think they particularly care how much they spend in total, as long as each deal is worth it.

So far, only Wood has been over priced.

Still don't think you can put a price on Wood's value. Without that signing we had no plan to work on besides, get the ball to Maxi. which wouldn't helped the massive transformation over such a short period of time. Wed be down.

Just on the topic of our transfer budget - now I'm not saying this is the case, just partly playing devils advocate and partly trying to better understand how our ownership model works.

Could it be that our issue is not entirely FFP but essentially cash in the bank? We know PIF have access to huge funds. The Reuben's are very wealthy but that's more asset-heavy. We don't know how much available capital Staveley/PCP have.

I wonder whether the issue isn't the Saudi's funding their 80%, but Staveley funding her 10%. As I understand it, if the Saudi's invest £80m, the Reuben's and Staveley will have to chip in £10m each. Is that how it works?

If so, that would also explain why we are trying to spread transfer fees out and avoiding lump sums (because we know that doesn't make a difference to the FFP calculations).

Hopefully someone can enlighten me on this.

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

If Diabys numbers where a concern, then this is a no. Terrible numbers in a terrible league. Arent after a left winger either.

Why would Diabys number be a concern? They are brilliant.

Think he means the numbers he’s getting are massively inflated due to the league and not a true reflection of his ability. I subscribe to the same view, personally.

Edited by McCormick

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Think he means the numbers he’s getting are massively inflated due to the league and not a true reflection of his ability. I subscribe to the same view, personally.

Better having good numbers in a low quality league or having shit numbers in a shit league?

17 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Just on the topic of our transfer budget - now I'm not saying this is the case, just partly playing devils advocate and partly trying to better understand how our ownership model works.

Could it be that our issue is not entirely FFP but essentially cash in the bank? We know PIF have access to huge funds. The Reuben's are very wealthy but that's more asset-heavy. We don't know how much available capital Staveley/PCP have.

I wonder whether the issue isn't the Saudi's funding their 80%, but Staveley funding her 10%. As I understand it, if the Saudi's invest £80m, the Reuben's and Staveley will have to chip in £10m each. Is that how it works?

If so, that would also explain why we are trying to spread transfer fees out and avoiding lump sums (because we know that doesn't make a difference to the FFP calculations).

Hopefully someone can enlighten me on this.

the club will just take loans/overdraft  for short term cash needs like transfer fees.

if they are equity funding they don’t need to do that at the same moment they are writing transfer cheques.

also due to when the tv money is paid, and the season ticket renewal dates clubs tend to be pretty flush this time of year so I don’t think cash flow will be a factor

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Totally agree, I'm also 100% against retirement of shirts as well.

Yeah I dunno about retiring it, but it just seems like the added pressure hasn't been helpful for our last few marquee strikers... Then again, maybe we have just been signing crap players

50 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

35 million euro bid rejected? 

https://ge.globo.com/futebol/futebol-internacional/noticia/2022/06/27/porto-recusa-proposta-do-newcastle-por-pepe.ghtml

Porto turned down an offer from Newcastle for 25-year-old striker Pepê. According to the ge found out, the English team offered 35 million euros (R$ 193.6 million) for the Brazilian ex- Grêmio . The Portuguese team asks for a minimum of 60 million euros (R$ 332 million) to negotiate it.

The clubs still negotiate. The termination penalty provided for in Pepê's contract with Porto is 70 million euros (R$ 387 million). The Brazilian ended his first season with the Dragons, who are hoping to keep the striker longer and sell him for a higher price. However, the transfer is not ruled out.

1 hour ago, Miercoles said:

We should also stop handing out the number nine shirt for a while, but that's another matter.

We shouldnt but we should stop with the "famous number 9" and "Alan Shearer's old number" etc. Its just a number and just puts unneeded pressure and expectations on whoever wears it. 

10 minutes ago, Decky said:

We shouldnt but we should stop with the "famous number 9" and "Alan Shearer's old number" etc. Its just a number and just puts unneeded pressure and expectations on whoever wears it. 

Top strikers would thrive on the pressure