More transfer rumours

midds

13 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

So we’ve had 2 separate posters saying they’ll be “disappointed” and “bummed” if we don’t sign Paqueta. My god how we’ve turned into spoiled brats already.

Think people are getting to carried away with the word disappointed. It’s possible to be loving the way things are going but still be disappointed on missing out on a certain player. 

Just now, jack j said:

Haha hadn't seen that. Fair play

Don’t understand how they are 8/1 and we are 4/7 as it stands I think he’s far more likely to go to arsenal 

28 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

He might not be happy playing there every single game - being a manager is also about managing people.

Just as much chance he could be happier if he's successful there.

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

Think people are getting to carried away with the word disappointed. It’s possible to be loving the way things are going but still be disappointed on missing out on a certain player. 

Just think they’d do well to occasionally remind themselves how much we’ve spent already and barely shipped any fucker out yet.

1 hour ago, Shak said:

I think that with the other midfielders we had in our squad it made sense to play Bruno further up the field as he was head and shoulders above anyone else in terms of ability to create in the final third. Couple that with Shelvey's distribution being really good in the deep lying role and it made a lot of sense.

Were we to sign someone like Paqueta then we'd have another player on (or above, from what some have said) Bruno's creative level that would allow Bruno to operate from deep.

Think Bruno could be fantastic in the role we saw Shelvey in under Howe last year. He's basically better than Shelvey at all the things Shelvey is good at while not having the weaknesses that Jonjo has. Having a defensively solid holding midfielder who is also fantastic on the ball would be a huge asset in terms of our ball retention.

If we did sign Paqueta, a Bruno-Joe-Paqueta trio could work well IMO. Paqueta would obviously be the most advanced of the three, Bruno as the deep lying playmaker and Joe just charging around the pitch wrecking people.

On paper you'd have Bruno as the deepest of the three but in practice he'd basically be going where the ball goes and looking to always be available for the pass. You'd want Joelinton bursting forward whenever we're on the counter attack obviously but in situations where we have possession in the final third I'd like to see him then drop deep and sit in the holding role ready to break up any counter attacks which would give Bruno more license to get forward.

Out of possession you'd have Bruno the deepest of the three and Joe and Paqueta pressing further up field. Paqueta is supposed very strong in this regard and we know Joe is.

It's all about having players the complement each other well in the midfield trio and on paper I do think that trio looks tasty. As others have said, I'll be disappointed if we're not willing to spend big if the right player becomes available. By all accounts we have plenty of FFP flexibility over the next few years, even if there is a budget in mind this summer they can go over it somewhat and maybe scale back in a future window if it's really necessary.

He only played further up with Shelvey as the base to ease him in. At the end of the season he took Shelveys place and we could all see how much better we were because of it. Spot on about everything else.

If Paqueta is genuinely available we should try and sign him. We could probably meet just about any transfer fee asked for but Arsenal might have the edge in terms of wages.

My only worry about him is that he would give us an all brazilian midfield - who plays when they all get called up?

45 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

He might not be happy playing there every single game - being a manager is also about managing people.

Considering that's where he's played his entire career, I don't see why he would not be happy with playing there.

13 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

If Paqueta is genuinely available we should try and sign him. We could probably meet just about any transfer fee asked for but Arsenal might have the edge in terms of wages.

My only worry about him is that he would give us an all brazilian midfield - who plays when they all get called up?

Good point about call ups! Doubt Joelinton will get a call soon though. He might if he keeps up last seasons form. 

54 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

So we’ve had 2 separate posters saying they’ll be “disappointed” and “bummed” if we don’t sign Paqueta. My god how we’ve turned into spoiled brats already.

Go away. 

14 minutes ago, snakzz said:

The door is as open as it was before as I doubt he'll leave for much less than he would have before his transfer request (if it was an official request).

If Pacqueta is available we have got to go all in for him. He’s a superstar and takes this team to a new level. Add in CHO or even Diaby if that’s possible but they 2 could start on the right and also play left too. Possibly Broja on a loan to buy. That would be more than enough to challenge top 8 in my opinion. 6 new signings and if there is anything left a right sided Centre back.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If the budget allowed only one marquee signing and both Diaby and Paqueta were up for the move, who would you go for?

Diaby. Purely because the alternative is to give Almiron or Fraser the RW slot again and there's just not enough output coming from either of them. They graft and always give 100%, but if we're thinking of Europe next year we need more.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If the budget allowed only one marquee signing and both Diaby and Paqueta were up for the move, who would you go for?

I'm confident on both plus a centre forward.

Edited by WillingtonMag

4 minutes ago, Andybiotics said:

Diaby. Purely because the alternative is to give Almiron or Fraser the RW slot again and there's just not enough output coming from either of them. They graft and always give 100%, but if we're thinking of Europe next year we need more.

That would put Diaby wide right with Longstaff or Willock next to Bruno or Bruno there and Shelvey back in. 

I'll go Pacqueta under those circumstances. Fraser looked a much better player under Howe and with players moving and to aim for probably wouldn't look half as bad.

I'd go for Paqueta. He has it all: goal threat, vision, technique and work ethic. The key is getting the consistency from him week after week. He can cover multiple positions in midfield or across the front line too.

Diaby would be incredibly exciting, but he's a lot less polished. He has pace to burn, great close control and can finish with both feet, but his game awareness and decision making needs work. 

Obviously I'd be absolutely delighted if we signed either of them as they both have the potential to be great. The fact we're even been linked with players of that calibre doesn't seem real.