More transfer rumours

midds

9 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Arthur Melo is class. I’d absolutely be fine with a signing of that kind of player. But @KaKa, you described the style of player in probably an overly boring and dumbed down away.  I don’t consider Rodri or Busquets in this “play it simple” way like you described. Their game is far more technical, intelligent and nuanced. 

I was using the term 'boring' in an ironic way, as a lot of times they tend to be underappreciated. The likes of Busquets and Rodri will never get the plaudits that a Xavi, Iniesta, De Bruyne or Bernardo Silva get, but I really love a Rodri or Busquets because they allow those guys to shine by intelligently getting them the ball in areas where they can be most effective higher up the pitch.

Maybe I did a poor job of explaining before. But yeah, I like Arthur Melo a lot too. There's a small French midfielder at Sassuolo that plays this style as well that is very good and I think tremendously underrated, his name is Maxime Lopez. Like him a lot as well.

Edited by KaKa

Mate, I just don’t know anyone who doesn’t think Rodri or Busquets are brilliant :lol:

Issue I have is then with Joelinton, who’s not necessarily the best at getting up pitch and contributing attack. 

Melo at the base with Bruno and Paqueta and we’re purring. 

11 hours ago, NEEJ said:

I'm too young to really remember Batty (my first proper memory of him is his pelanty shocker vs. Argentina), but from what I can gather I think he's being done a huge disservice here in this thread. 

I think Batty was a good all round player who became more and more conservative as he got older. 

I just remember, after the team declined post-Keegan, watching him crab across the field, exchanging an endless series of short passes with team=mates who had run backwards from forward positions. No threat to the defence at all. He had his better times in his career, but it was painful and frustrating to watch.

Edited by Cronky

4 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I think Batty was a good all round player who became more and more conservative as he got older. 

I just remember, after the team declined post-Keegan, watching him crab across the field, exchanging an endless series of short passes with team=mates who had run backwards from forward positions. No threat to the defence at all. He had his better times in his career, but it was painful and frustrating to watch.

Get back to the original thread title please

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Mate, I just don’t know anyone who doesn’t think Rodri or Busquets are brilliant :lol:

Issue I have is then with Joelinton, who’s not necessarily the best at getting up pitch and contributing attack. 

Melo at the base with Bruno and Paqueta and we’re purring. 

Yeah, well I think the likes of Rodri and Busquets are the very best of this sort of player, so naturally people are bound to say they are great. 

Typically though the more mid-level players like this that maybe aren't on a top team, are overlooked. So someone like the Maxime Lopez guy I mentioned, or even Guimaraes previous partner in midfield at Lyon Maxence Caqueret. Both so good at using their dribbling to evade pressure in deeper areas before playing shorter passes through the lines to start attacks or switching the ball into wider areas of the pitch.

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

Dont believe it. The same paper that said we were interested in the first place said that he had decided to stay this season. Not sure about Media Foot. Don't see it and don't want him.

I don't think what you or I want comes into it. If we sign him I'm happy, because I trust the guys making those decisions. 

4 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I don't think what you or I want comes into it. If we sign him I'm happy, because I trust the guys making those decisions. 

You don’t say…. I’m just saying that I don’t want him. I think he would flop. 

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

The athletic pretty much said yesterday that the Asensio links are not true and he isn’t the profile of signing we are looking to make.

As expected, and rightly so.

9 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

The athletic pretty much said yesterday that the Asensio links are not true and he isn’t the profile of signing we are looking to make.

Which article was this? 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

From yesterday I think, let me find it again 

Cheers :thup:

Just want to read through their thoughts on where things are with our transfers.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Cheers :thup:

Just want to read through their thoughts on where things are with our transfers.

Apologies it wasn’t an article it was Chris Waugh from the athletic on a fan channel talking about transfers @The Prophet summed it up in his post which I will quote below.

23 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Waugh was on a fan channel earlier, I've not listened myself, but the summary on incomings was:

Howe is really happy with the business done to date but he wants to add goals to the squad 

By getting a lot of business done early we've bough ourselves time to assess the market and consider our options 

Asensio has been offered to us but he's not a priority. He doesn't fit the clubs profile of what they're looking for

We like Paqueta and we asked about him in January but he's not a priority due to his price and the position he plays. We see his best position as a number ten, but our system doesn't require one 

The situation is fluid. They initially wanted a centre forward such as DCL to directly compete with Wilson but they now want a younger player who can play across the front line 

Isak continues to feature heavily in our recruitment discussions 

He thinks there's around £40 million left to spend maybe a bit more than that

Newcastle are keeping targets close to their chest which makes it frustrating to report on

@KaKa

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Apologies it wasn’t an article it was Chris Waugh from the athletic on a fan channel talking about transfers @The Prophet summed it up in his post which I will quote below.

Ah, right. No worries.

Just thought there might have been a Newcastle article I missed, so was going to check it out.

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

I may live to regret this but I'm convinced Scamacca will flop wherever he goes. I'd be absolutely terrified of us spending big money on him.

Well he’s 23 and only really had one good/consistent season and plenty of loans prior to that. One of many risky big (ish) money bets out there. Plus he looks like a wrong un, which doesn’t instil much confidence! 

Just now, Jaqen said:

Surely nobody believes Adama doesn't work out and it's genetic? :lol:

Think this has been discussed on here before.

He said he doesn't do weights. Technically this is true, but not really, because he does his strength work with resistance cables, but the sort that you can electronically increase and decrease the resistance on.

There's a clip from Wolves where he is working out with them. They will pretty much ultimately have the same kind of effect as weight training does.

14 hours ago, KaKa said:

I think they are crucial. I've always like the overlooked midfielder that 'sets the table' for everyone else. I tend to prefer more risky plays taking place higher up the pitch in the final third. Love a 'boring' midfielder that plays it short between the lines from deep to progress the ball so the risk takers can then do their thing later on in the move rather than forcing things early too often.

Always wound me up when under Bruce, Shelvey would constantly go for the killer ball so early on and from deep in our own half, and just cede possession to the other team time and time again.

Kante for me is that type of player. We've had over the hill versions in Nicky Butt, but the best ones are decent on the ball as well, and will look for one-twos, not just pass the ball and stop like Colback for example.

I'm doubtful we are even looking at that sort of a player in this window, but at some point we do need a top class CM in front of the back four, assuming that's not going to be Bruno's long term position.

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Lazy take.

Technically Traore is fine. First touch is solid, basic passing fine. He's not Shola Ameobi.

It's his end product, final pass / cross that isn't good.

Which is exactly why he would be the wrong player for us. I am really fed up of buying up everyone else's fast and dynamic wide players who are useless at goals.

10 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Surely nobody believes Adama doesn't work out and it's genetic? :lol:

Just like big poppa pump Scott Steiner, he’s a genetic freak baby and it’s all natural