More transfer rumours

midds

It’s a bit shitty with all these reports of us being frustrated and players being overpriced blah blah blah. Our new owners have done a splendid job this far but if we don’t strengthen in attacking positions they will have failed this summer IMO (that in itself does not make the business we’ve done poor or bad but on the whole). You don’t hear talk of other clubs pleading poverty (except for Barca who seem to be buying players anyways 😅) four times a week. It’s a tad embarrassing IMO.

I’d rather the club took this approach even if that means it takes longer to build into the club we want to be. If we’re caving paying over the odds for good Premier league players we’ll have to cave and pay over the odds for elite level ones if we ever get there. 

I think it reflects worse on a club when you pay over the odds and they turn out to be shite. Look at the state of Everton. They over paid for average players and are now shackles with ffp. 

As a fan base we need to enjoy the process rather than whinging about each deal that doesn’t come off. 

At some point if we are genuinely serious about improving the squad we are going to have to pay what is being quoted.

Option 1: Continue to be stubborn and refuse to pay the prices on top targets. Move down the list and buy a 4th or 5th choice player who isn't really that much better than what we have or don’t strengthen at all which would be a failure. 

Option 2: Wait until future transfer windows to get top targets at what we value the players at, however inflation will mean we’ll likely pay the same as what is being quoted now if not more assuming they continue to develop.

Such an opportunity this summer to push on and ride the crest of a wave that everyone is on. I fear if the owners miss this and it maybe a sliding doors moment.

Edited by Yelevats

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m not getting into an argument about it, it’s an opinion based of a tweet that I said might of course not even be true. My opinion on it if it is true is that it’s a shitty thing to do, and if it wasn’t us doing it most people would agree.

Of course it would be a shitty thing to do, but it's a hypothetical situation, man [emoji38]

You think we'd be the only club interested if they went bust and there was 4 or 5 semi decent players available for nothing?

The club is playing its cards so close to their chest there are no leaks. Just bullshitters trying to be itk/clickbaiters. 

We’ve got as good a back-room team as any club in place now so I expect they know exactly what they’re doing and I have no concerns whatsoever.  And in case anyone has forgotten the last 14 years what we’ve seen so far is a bit of an upgrade in the way we’ve operated. 

Nobody knows what we're being quoted but it does seem there needs to a calculated risk taken at some point. There's a middle ground between apparently us now and doing an Everton. 

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Of course it would be a shitty thing to do, but it's a hypothetical situation, man [emoji38]

You think we'd be the only club interested if they went bust and there was 4 or 5 semi decent players available for nothing?

That’s what I’m saying 😂 if the report is true it’s a shitty thing, im not saying it is true, based of the hatred the french press seem to have for us it probably isn’t true. I was just commenting on the original report. I dare say if we had a real interest in the lad we would definitely have paid the ten million or so.

1 minute ago, St1pe said:

I’d rather the club took this approach even if that means it takes longer to build into the club we want to be. If we’re caving paying over the odds for good Premier league players we’ll have to cave and pay over the odds for elite level ones if we ever get there. 

I think it reflects worse on a club when you pay over the odds and they turn out to be shite. Look at the state of Everton. They over paid for average players and are now shackles with ffp. 

As a fan base we need to enjoy the process rather than whinging about each deal that doesn’t come off. 

I agree. But the noise coming out of the club (if true) isn’t exactly building hype for the “project” either. If we won’t be flexible on transfer fees and won’t be flexible on wages for free transfers (for example) it will take a VERY long time to keep up let alone overtake the other clubs in the top 7-8. No one else seems to care an awful lot about FFP but maybe we’re going for Last Man Standing Trophy Football Edition? My point is that we can’t haggle over every deal (not that I have an idea about any of this). But there’s still a long way to go before the window closes. The positions have to be filled and I have no problems with not paying 60-70 million for each but surely there has to be alternatives out there who are better than the current options? 😂

1 minute ago, KDT said:

Nobody knows what we're being quoted but it does seem there needs to a calculated risk taken at some point. There's a middle ground between apparently us now and doing an Everton. 

If reports are to be believed, Everton wanted 60 million for DCL, Brentford over 50 million for Toney, Real Sociedad 80 million for Isak and Leverkusen 60 million for Diaby. Obviously clubs are quite within their rights to demand what they want, but I’m glad we haven’t paid any of those fees for them players.

Just now, Unbelievable said:

We’ll see. I have seen quite a bit of him and it ties in with what a Feyenoord fan I know who sees him every week has said about him: talented, but very raw. I personally don’t think he’s ready for the PL yet, but we’ll see.

:thup: Seen quite a bit of him too. Think he’s got everything; really clever footballer- understands his tactical role very well, both-footed, deceptively difficult to muscle him off the ball and has all the physical attributes for this league.

Sticking my neck out here going against our resident Eredivisie expert :lol: (and I understand it’s quite a step-up for him) but I’ve been so impressed by what I’ve seen.

I don’t think it’s a case of the club not wanting or not being willing to pay huge sums. The issue is we need to build pretty much a brand new squad so we can’t be spending huge sums on one player yet. Once we get into a position where we have a more rounded squad, I’m sure we will see the big buys. Once we can focus on one or two transfers per season then we will spend big. Similar to the way City and Liverpool do now.

I'm pretty relaxed about the transfer market, we know that the club are still active and we have a really methodical process behind each transfer. In an ideal world we'd have bodies in before Forest, but as long as they're in before the transfer window SLAMS shut, it's all good.

The owners have said countless times that the money is there if the right players become available. We've made it clear we weren't willing to pay mad money for Carlos, Botman, Diaby, Isak, etc so it doesn't come as a shock that we want value for money. Chris Waugh and Fabrizio Romano have both recently reported that we're being very quiet about our targets though, so its safe assume a lot of articles are just regurgitating old information. There's nothing to worry about.

5 minutes ago, Yelevats said:

At some point if we are genuinely serious about improving the squad we are going to have to pay what is being quoted.

option 1: Continue to be stubborn and refuse to pay the prices on top targets. Move down the list and buy a 4th or 5th choice player or don’t strengthen at all. 

option 2: Wait until future transfer windows to get top targets at what we value the players at however inflation will mean we’ll likely pay the same as what is being quoted now. 

Such an opportunity this summer to push on and ride the crest of a wave that everyone is on. I fear if the owners miss this and it be a sliding doors moment.

Option 3: Use this (and last Jan window) as an opportunity to establish that, just because one part of our ownership has pretty much unlimited amounts of money, doesn't mean we are going to pay an extra £5-10m compared to what you're quoting other teams for the same player. FFP means the business has to be seen to running in a sustainable manner. This counts more so for us due to being owned by Saudi Arabia. Until we have our commercial ducks in a row we can't be seen to be spending stupid amounts anyway, so why not use this window to establish a reputation among other teams/agents as tough negotiators.  

There is lot of players we can sign without having to pay crazy fees, for example Thorgan Hazard and Julian Brandt. We just seem to target those who are not available, it seems stupid strategy and we are losing time with it.

10 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

What's your thoughts process that they might also get desperate to get money in?

It depends on the individual clubs. Some will be intending to sell players, but they'll be waiting to see if another club is willing to pay way above the market rate before they drop the price. Others will need to get rid when they trim their squads to fit the 25, etc.

Just now, Elephant said:

There is lot of players we can sign without having to pay crazy fees, for example Thorgan Hazard and Julian Brandt. We just seem to target those who are not available, it seems stupid strategy and we are losing time with it.

Thorgan Hazard isn’t very good though. His stats aren’t too dissimilar to Fraser and Almiron 

1 minute ago, Elephant said:

I highly doubt we're spending all of our time targeting unavailable players like.

3 minutes ago, clintdempsey said:

I agree. But the noise coming out of the club (if true) isn’t exactly building hype for the “project” either. If we won’t be flexible on transfer fees and won’t be flexible on wages for free transfers (for example) it will take a VERY long time to keep up let alone overtake the other clubs in the top 7-8. No one else seems to care an awful lot about FFP but maybe we’re going for Last Man Standing Trophy Football Edition? My point is that we can’t haggle over every deal (not that I have an idea about any of this). But there’s still a long way to go before the window closes. The positions have to be filled and I have no problems with not paying 60-70 million for each but surely there has to be alternatives out there who are better than the current options? 😂

I guess for me as long as we’re improving every season then we’re showing ambition that we haven’t seen for years. 8 games into last season not only did we look stone wall relegated we looked like a club that was finished. 

Since January we’ve improved the overall squad quality massively. We’ve started this summer well. The board structure is ambitious and evolving. 

If we finish this window without signing another player I’d be disappointed but factually we’d be stronger than last season. 

I still think we’ll add another couple of signings before deadline day.