More transfer rumours

midds

58 minutes ago, madras said:

If we achieved Europa next season that's 3 Windows down the line and a sign to players of where we are going. There is no too early to get into Europe.

Saying that I don't expect it, I hope we'd be in with a shout though come March/April.

True, did not think of it like that!!  

3 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

So for City, the season they got taken over they finished 9th, the next season 10th, then 5th, 3rd and then won it the following year.

Not true.

The takeover happened late in August and they finished 9th - in the first season with new ownership. They did most of their business in January because of the late takeover.

The next season, with a full transfer window and a change of Manager they finished 5th. Narrowly missing out on 4th and would have got 4th if they had Mancini in from the start of the season. The rest is as you say.

City were in an almost identical position to us in the league when they charged right up (they did have better players already on staff but an inferior manager).

3 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Have they? Chelsea were already a top 6 side and yes they did go on a spending spree but they already had Terry and Lampard, iirc their first signings included Duff, Geremi, Crespo, Mutu and Makelele, with only the last named really being a success there, well maybe there’s a case to be made for Duff once Mourinho took over but the base of their squad was solid enough at that point in time.

City were not top 6 but still healthier than what our club is currently. Aside from Robinho which also didn’t work out, they didn’t go wild to begin with.

I get the desire to have an essentially all new squad but that’s not going to happen straight away. They’re still figuring it all out, including the manager.. is he the right fit etc.

Dan Ashworth will be the driving force behind all of that.. it will be his vision. If Howe can’t deliver that, the club will be quite ruthless I’d imagine.

And we must also note that Eddie Howe will be feeling that slight bit of uncertainty as well, imagine working in a job and knowing that soon someone will come in to oversee everything you do. You might get on with them, you might not, but the dynamic changes. It’s not the same job you walked into.

Let’s just hope they’ve already had several good conversations and the first steps have been taken.

Most of these did a good job for Chelsea - Duff, Geremi & Makelele in particular.

They scraped 4th the year before. First year under Roman they finished 2nd and went to the CL semi-final. Ditching a lot of the players that helped them get 4th (Hasselbaink in particular).

We signed 5 players in January and it worked fine.

4 hours ago, Conjo said:

My only concern by setting such an ambitious target is what happens if we fail to achieve it? We could see a great improvement in style of play and not get the results needed to get into European competition, and could risk calls for Howe to be sacked. Don't think I'd like that unless we go on an insane spending spree in the summer where conference league qualification would be seen as the bare bare minimum.

So?

3 hours ago, Raconteur said:

We made five changes ourselves in January and all five slotted into the team very well (Wood’s goal return notwithstanding). Purchasing six more in summer wouldn’t be that much of a stretch.

Three of those five January signings might be getting replaced this summer anyway, and even listing our absolute best eleven, we could easily find six holes that need replacing before we aim for Top 6 and putting *ENORMOUS* emphasis on the FA Cup.

Exactly. We'l be ok if we aren't starting Wilson, Almiron, Shelvey, Schar, Targett & Joelinton next season. We'll survive the transition.

34 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Exactly. We'l be ok if we aren't starting Wilson, Almiron, Shelvey, Schar, Targett & Joelinton next season. We'll survive the transition.

Wouldnt mind any of Wilson, schar, targett and big joe starting next season.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

I'd be v. dissappointed if all 4 started. Any more than 2 starting would be a dissappointment imo.

I don't think any of these are top 8 material.

A fully fit Wilson is, obviously aware the issue is he won’t be fully fit. However going of pure talent alone he is and he would walk into Wolves and West Ham right now and they are currently top 8.

59 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'd be v. dissappointed if all 4 started. Any more than 2 starting would be a dissappointment imo.

I think Wilson is, only question mark against him is his availability due to repeated injuries. Other than that I consider him to be a top quality Premier striker.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Providing we buy Targett,  I think you're going to be disappointed.

6 hours ago, Conjo said:

My only concern by setting such an ambitious target is what happens if we fail to achieve it? We could see a great improvement in style of play and not get the results needed to get into European competition, and could risk calls for Howe to be sacked. Don't think I'd like that unless we go on an insane spending spree in the summer where conference league qualification would be seen as the bare bare minimum.

I'm a huge fan of Howe but we're an ever evolving project now and once the final whistle goes away to Burnley then surviving relegation is in the history books and its now about building a side to push for a European spot. Of course that all depends on the backing he gets in the summer but we're lead to believe he'll be well supported. We didn't win in our first 15 games this year and we're 1 point from 10th spot with 2 games left, so if next season is similar to this then finishing in the top half wouldn't be good enough progress for the summer and January we're expected to have.

We have to push for Europe and he has to be judged on progress throughout the season and should rightfully come under pressure if it looks like we're failing to hit that goal. We're going to really see what he's made of now and I hope he does well because I'd love to see him here for years with success to go along with it. 

Edited by Decky

15 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I can sort of see what he's saying though. Wilson and Schar are good players, but Targett and Joelinton aren't really going to take us forward that much. I think we might well buy Targett though because he''s a very solid defender who will be good for a team in transition. But ultimately he's short of the offensive capability that someone like Trippier provides on the other side.

13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

We're probably looking at something like:

New keeper 

Trippier 

Schar

New CB

Targett

New CM

Bruno

Joe 

New RW

Wilson/New ST

ASM

I’d be happy with that for sure

2 minutes ago, Decky said:

I'm a huge fan of Howe but we're an ever evolving project now and once the final whistle goes away to Burnley then surviving relegation is in the history books and its now about building a side to push for a European spot. Of course that all depends on the backing he gets in the summer but we're lead to believe he'll be well supported. We didn't win in our first 15 games this year and we're 1 point from 10th spot with 2 games left, so if next season is similar to this then finishing in the top half wouldn't be good enough progress for the summer and January we're expected to have.

We have to push for Europe has to be judged on progress throughout the season and should rightfully come under pressure if it looks like we're failing to hit that goal. We're going to really see what he's made of now and I hope he does well because I'd love to see him here for years with success to go along with it. 

I really think this depends.

Last season 58 points would have you in 8th, the season before 61 points would have you in 8th. If we finished 8th, but increased our points tally by 18 points and reached a domestic cup semi final, that would definetly be decent progress.

Of course that all depends on our outlay in the summer. Thr bigger it is, the higher expectations will be.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I can sort of see what he's saying though. Wilson and Schar are good players, but Targett and Joelinton aren't really going to take us forward that much. I think we might well buy Targett though because he''s a very solid defender who will be good for a team in transition. But ultimately he's short of the offensive capability that someone like Trippier provides on the other side.

To drop the likes of Schar (or Burn) and Joelinton, you're probably talking of replacing around seven first team players, if our priorities are to be believed. It just isn't going to happen if we want good quality players.

22 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

To drop the likes of Schar (or Burn) and Joelinton, you're probably talking of replacing around seven first team players, if our priorities are to be believed. It just isn't going to happen if we want good quality players.

We might upgrade on Joelinton I feel, I could see another midfielder being one of the four signings. But ultimately if those players are starting next season it won't be a disaster. I agree we'll be looking to improve incrementally year on year. What I do feel quite strongly though, is that Eddie will want players who can keep the ball right from the get go next season, anyone who has a penchant for giving it away too easily will be replaced.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I think Wilson is, only question mark against him is his availability due to repeated injuries. Other than that I consider him to be a top quality Premier striker.

He's 30 and only played in 30 league matches or more in 2 out of the last 6 seasons.

Only an idiotic coach would rely on Wilson being fit enough to lead a charge into the top 8. Happy for him to be in the squad and an option. But not as our primary striker.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Not guaranteed to sign Targett because we think we can do better and I love that for us.

Fundamentally - in practically every department we could do with an upgrade to make the top 8.

Dubs - don't think he's top 8 quality but not far off

Fullback - Targett isn't

Central defence - absolutely not. At least 1 needs replacing.

As a back 5 - it has zero pace.

Central midfield - nope. I think neither of Bruno's partners are top 8 quality. Either they have it physically but not technically. Or vice versa. At least 1 needs replacing. 

Wide players - nope. At least 1 needs replacing.

Striker - Nope. Need a new one.

Would happily bring in 6 to start as a minimum.

36 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Not guaranteed to sign Targett because we think we can do better and I love that for us.

Fundamentally - in practically every department we could do with an upgrade to make the top 8.

Dubs - don't think he's top 8 quality but not far off

Fullback - Targett isn't

Central defence - absolutely not. At least 1 needs replacing.

As a back 5 - it has zero pace.

Central midfield - nope. I think neither of Bruno's partners are top 8 quality. Either they have it physically but not technically. Or vice versa. At least 1 needs replacing. 

Wide players - nope. At least 1 needs replacing.

Striker - Nope. Need a new one.

Would happily bring in 6 to start as a minimum.

Agreed but I don’t think we’ll be terribly close to a top 8 finish next season; noises from journos are suggesting a fairly ‘modest’ war chest this summer.

Reckon Villa will spend more and we’ll finish behind them comfortably in mid table. But we’ll see!

Agree with some of the comments here on Howe. There will be higher expectations going forward and hammerings like we endured at the weekend won’t be tolerated for much longer I don’t think.

He will rightly be given time, but likewise if people are expecting the board to have unlimited patience will be in for a shock.