More transfer rumours

midds

We can generate decent income and extra wage budget from selling the likes of Lewis and Almiron, i'm sure we have at least 8-9 players than we can let go off easily, and if we sign 5-6 good players like we did in January it will help us massively improve, we don't need to spend big but spend smart and identify targets that will make us a better team.

9 minutes ago, macphisto said:

In fairness to the local journalists who are all saying the same thing, I do think they have been briefed by the club to quote these figures. I'm over the moon with the ownership but I do think their comms strategy needs to be looked at. To be actively encouraging the £50 million budget & evolution over revolution whilst then contradicting themselves about competing within 5 years & the Champions League comments from Bruno, etc just makes everyone look stupid. 

I'm not sure of the answer because if the club said no comment then everyone would assume they'd spend a load of money. Obviously if they do only spend £50 million then their other comments about challenging just look ridiculous. 

Any other clubs announcing their “war chests” in advance?  

We’ll spend what we have to spend based on assessment of needs. It’ll be holistic. Any declaration of intent ie we’ve got £50 mill to splurge is just smoke and mirrors. It’s going to be a fun summer :coolsmiley:

1 minute ago, PauloGeordio said:

Any other clubs announcing their “war chests” in advance?  

We’ll spend what we have to spend based on assessment of needs. It’ll be holistic. Any declaration of intent ie we’ve got £50 mill to splurge is just smoke and mirrors. It’s going to be a fun summer :coolsmiley:

No they're not but are other clubs giving out massively contradictory messages like us (Howe about the Liverpool match, "Hopefully it is [a title decider] in the future")?  As I say, I'm not entirely sure of the correct strategy but I don't think this is it. Some people won't be bothered by this but I do think it's important to keep the local journalists onside as it makes things so much easier for the club. We saw how the local journalists looking out for the club got into a spat with national journalists after the Chelsea match. Hopefully local journalists are in on the act because all of them will look ridiculous by the end of the transfer window.

Guest reefatoon

We shouldn’t be held to ransom by players greed, so happy we have turned our backs if he is wanting too much.

7 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

We shouldn’t be held to ransom by players greed, so happy we have turned our backs if he is wanting too much.

I think it's more they don't want him as a player than his wage demands. It's better for the club to say they don't want him as his wage demands are too high as it helps to dampen the expectations of  the market heading into the summer. Maybe I'm looking too much into these things.

Edited by macphisto

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

If he wants big wages then he’ll have to prove he deserves them. Wonder who will be willing to cough up, probably someone like Everton 

Typical signing for those twats.

Fingers crossed - they don't see Lingard as a "blue chip" player so we won't give him the 100-150k he might be after.

He's a good signing for a West Ham. Likely to be in Europe so need the squad depth. Only need to sign 2/3 players of sufficient quality so can take this risk.

4 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Don't think it's greed. Lingard should get as much as he can. I just don't think we have the luxury of signing him on 100k+.

11 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Wouldn't really want Coutinho but would be funny to see Newcastle actually steal another clubs signing instead of vice versa for once [emoji38]

Don't want him. This is an Everton transfer. We should look for the next Coutinho.

I like Arsenal's approach to trying to get back into the top 4. Going for the likes of Odegaard. Arsenal are fortunate that their academy has pumped out 4-6 decent to elite premier league level footballers though.

13 minutes ago, macphisto said:

No they're not but are other clubs giving out massively contradictory messages like us (Howe about the Liverpool match, "Hopefully it is [a title decider] in the future")?  As I say, I'm not entirely sure of the correct strategy but I don't think this is it. Some people won't be bothered by this but I do think it's important to keep the local journalists onside as it makes things so much easier for the club. We saw how the local journalists looking out for the club got into a spat with national journalists after the Chelsea match. Hopefully local journalists are in on the act because all of them will look ridiculous by the end of the transfer window.

It’ll be old fish and chip paper, and on to the next story. Time will tell. Enjoy the ride :indi:

Guest reefatoon

This thread is going to be like pure unadulterated crack all summer. We won’t be able to get enough. We’ve dreamed of a proper summer transfer window for donkeys years. Hope we can all cope. 

2 minutes ago, macphisto said:

I think it's more they don't want him as a player than his wage demands. It's better for the club to say they don't want him as his wage demands are too high as it helps to dampen the expectations of  the market heading into the summer. Maybe I'm looking too much into these things.

I would think it's a bit of both, At 50k per week, Lingard's a very good signing. Almiron and Fraser will be on similar and Lingard is a step above. At 100k... not so much. Especially if we have targets at decent buy, sell and wage values.

12 minutes ago, Paully said:

If his wage demands are too high for us, I can't see how West Ham will agree to them. Unless he's willing to lower them in order to be in London, in which case they can have him.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

If his wage demands are too high for us, I can't see how West Ham will agree to them. Unless he's willing to lower them in order to be in London, in which case they can have him.

They offered 200k pw to Declan Rice, who turned them down. Bruno is our top earner on around 125k. Lingard earns 100k at the moment so I guess would be wanting 150-200k? 

3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

This thread is going to be like pure unadulterated crack all summer. We won’t be able to get enough. We’ve dreamed of a proper summer transfer window for donkeys years. Hope we can all cope. 

Just ordered a new keyboard for the summer to ensure no F5 failures

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I think it's probably more a case of them not being warranted

Lingard is probably demanding huge wages since he's on a free but the reality is he's had a total of 12 months of decent football in a decade, he can't justify demanding such wages and I'm glad we won't pay it

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

West Ham pay Zouma 125k and hav offered Rice 200k.

Rice won't sign for anything though unless there's a reasonable release clause if he's smart. He can stay another year, get another season of Europa football under his belt and move on for a more reasonable 50-70m fee at the end of next season. I would be all over that.

I think they have to take the money next season. They may even offer him a Delph type deal at some point. 

Anyways point is West Ham can afford to pay Lingard the 100-150k he'll be after. He might be worth the 6 additional points or the odd win in Europe that might get them into CL the following season. 

Edited by The College Dropout

52 minutes ago, macphisto said:

In fairness to the local journalists who are all saying the same thing, I do think they have been briefed by the club to quote these figures. I'm over the moon with the ownership but I do think their comms strategy needs to be looked at. To be actively encouraging the £50 million budget & evolution over revolution whilst then contradicting themselves about competing within 5 years & the Champions League comments from Bruno, etc just makes everyone look stupid. 

I'm not sure of the answer because if the club said no comment then everyone would assume they'd spend a load of money. Obviously if they do only spend £50 million then their other comments about challenging just look ridiculous. 

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, we're talking about one transfer window. If we can spend £50m+sales this summer to get us to 8th, then £100m+sales the next summer to get us to 5th, suddenly you're a fringe CL team on the up and you can attract the sort of players a side hoping to compete for titles would need. If the aim is to compete at the top end within five years, we can't cash all our chips in during the first proper transfer window when a load of our top targets will turn us down because we aren't in Europe.

I don't think a wage structure will rigidly prevent any signing on 100-150k a week. It will just be reserved for players that deserve it, or are of an age where their value will hold.

I definitely am not sold on the Lingard idea at the wages discussed tbh. 

He’s a £70-80k a weeker definitely, Could see a Villa/West Ham/Everton giving him £100-120k a week since there’s no transfer fee but I’d steer clear. Can’t see many foreign clubs paying him what he seems to be expecting either.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He’s a £70-80k a weeker definitely, Could see a Villa/West Ham/Everton giving him £100-120k a week since there’s no transfer fee but I’d steer clear. Can’t see many foreign clubs paying him what he seems to be expecting either.

Maybe Milan, after we buy Leao from them…??

17 hours ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Agree with some of the comments here on Howe. There will be higher expectations going forward and hammerings like we endured at the weekend won’t be tolerated for much longer I don’t think.

He will rightly be given time, but likewise if people are expecting the board to have unlimited patience will be in for a shock. 

My feeling is that Howe's more aggressive style has improved our performances against sides of around our standard, but we've come unstuck against teams like Spurs and Man City who are able to defeat our press. You could argue that we should have been more cautious against those teams, but at the same time I can see why Howe would want to retain a certain pattern of play in a consistent way.

The new signings have helped, but all in all I do think that Howe has over-achieved with what's been available to him.