More transfer rumours

midds

To put it into context we were hammered by arguably the best team in Europe. As have many teams. If Wood had put away his chance it 'could' have been a different outcome. When Wilson came on he showed what we've been missing. 

We did pretty well in January considering it was the owners first proper foray into transfers, therefore that experience should serve us well for the upcoming one

Can't hide my excitement for what lies ahead, this should be where the real ride begins

6 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Not entirely certain what to expect from this summer window. But I Just can’t see the Saudis not go all in. They like shiny things. 

I think our intentions will be to be smart with our money but if we get to August without particular key signings they will get the chequebook out.

Edited by STM

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, duo said:

To put it into context we were hammered by arguably the best team in Europe. As have many teams. If Wood had put away his chance it 'could' have been a different outcome. When Wilson came on he showed what we've been missing. 

Wilson also missed two easy chances too. The score could have been something crazy.

Newcastle's drastic upturn in form has seen the Magpies move safely into mid-table, with attention now able to turn to planning for next season in the top-flight. However, it would appear that any further approach for Ruiz will fall upon deaf ears, according to journalist Mirko Calemme.

Calemme told the Radio Goal show, via Sport Witness: “The Spaniard said ‘no’ to Newcastle because he knows he can aim for a more prestigious club. With Napoli there is no certainty, but the renewal has been blocked for two years and everything suggests that he is the one sacrificed on the market. But De Laurentiis, as we know, never say never.”

Just watched a 10 minute highlight video of Osimhen, nearly 6 minutes of which were him doing pointless flicks over other players heads and being fouled, laying on chances that weren’t taken and some really poor finishing. Then of course he scored some goals at the end, mostly headed.

He looks a real awkward handful but not in the same league as Darwin Nunez for finishing.

Now both in the same side could work……

26 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Just watched a 10 minute highlight video of Osimhen, nearly 6 minutes of which were him doing pointless flicks over other players heads and being fouled, laying on chances that weren’t taken and some really poor finishing. Then of course he scored some goals at the end, mostly headed.

He looks a real awkward handful but not in the same league as Darwin Nunez for finishing.

Now both in the same side could work……

Is that the "Victor Osimhen Nigerian Nightmare 2022" vid on youtube by any chance? :lol: If so, in those initial clips I see a target man alone up top doing great work at keeping the ball and making something out of nothing in those situations. Unless we turn into Man City next season he is exactly what we need.

Edit: Imagine the player receiving the ball in those situations during the first 4-5 minutes being Chris Wood. Do you think they would have ended with the team keeping possession/gaining a free kick or resulting in a chance on goal? :lol:

Edited by Conjo

15 hours ago, McCormick said:

Agreed but I don’t think we’ll be terribly close to a top 8 finish next season; noises from journos are suggesting a fairly ‘modest’ war chest this summer.

Reckon Villa will spend more and we’ll finish behind them comfortably in mid table. But we’ll see!

Aye it all depends on investment.

A lot of the player links are for £40m+ targets so I think we'll spend big. The club are putting out "modest" budget so we don't get fleeced imo but we'll see soon enough

It does look like it'll be like winter in that it will be Mandy, Eddie and Nickson in a room doing everything themselves as haven't got the backroom structure in place yet. They did fine before, apart from the Chris Wood panic buy. It will probably mean it will be largely one at a time at least on complicated transfers but have more time over summer. 

The supposed 50 million budget is nonsense imo, we all know a striker is a top priority and you are looking at around 50 million for a top one. If we are then relying on player sales we pretty much wouldn’t have anything left after a striker.

Guest HTT II

All these journos/reporters downplaying our budget don’t have a clue, they said the same in January and have been wrong almost entirely over the takeover. We will spend, with sales incoming money, 150-200m IMO. I know for a fact we already have two deals all but signed, sealed and delivered from January. I assume one is Lingard and maybe that Carlos fella?

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

The supposed 50 million budget is nonsense imo, we all know a striker is a top priority and you are looking at around 50 million for a top one. If we are then relying on player sales we pretty much wouldn’t have anything left after a striker.

This is my thought. Every player we are credibly linked with is going for at least half of that and most around 50m.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

This is my thought. Every player we are credibly linked with is going for at least half of that and most around 50m.

Exactly, even younger ones linked are at least 25 million.

10 minutes ago, HTT II said:

All these journos/reporters downplaying our budget don’t have a clue, they said the same in January and have been wrong almost entirely over the takeover. We will spend, with sales incoming money, 150-200m IMO. I know for a fact we already have two deals all but signed, sealed and delivered from January. I assume one is Lingard and maybe that Carlos fella?

In fairness to the local journalists who are all saying the same thing, I do think they have been briefed by the club to quote these figures. I'm over the moon with the ownership but I do think their comms strategy needs to be looked at. To be actively encouraging the £50 million budget & evolution over revolution whilst then contradicting themselves about competing within 5 years & the Champions League comments from Bruno, etc just makes everyone look stupid. 

I'm not sure of the answer because if the club said no comment then everyone would assume they'd spend a load of money. Obviously if they do only spend £50 million then their other comments about challenging just look ridiculous. 

Edited by macphisto