More transfer rumours

midds

Can't wait for us to sign an exciting player or 2 with a high ceiling (Botman/Ekitike/Paqueta or similar)

I'll admit I actively tried to avoid watching Burnley last season (and every other season tbf) as they were grim to watch, so I'll defer to Howe's judgement on squad players I know little about. Although I'd still like to think we can do better than take half of their relegated team.

Edited by Sean

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Ben said:

Normal or extra large? 

As long as it doesn’t cost hundreds and thousands!

Guest HTT II
Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Hasn’t got a goal or assist in over a season has he ?

That’s the Burnley way, no?

1 hour ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Guardian saying an hour ago he's arrived in London for 2nd part of his medical. Either way he's not signing for us like. 

We could have had him but seems like we are all in for Botman. I hope he actually turns out to be the better player. Assuming he does eventually end up here.

Cornet has had a pretty bizarre career in regards to how he has been moved around all over the place position wise. He's not even a striker.

In France he was a 1 in 3 goal scorer on both the right wing and then the left wing, but then somehow ended up playing left wing back at Lyon before then coming over to Burnley and playing up front.

If he had remained a winger he would have been a much bigger prospect by now as he was very productive in those roles. No idea why he started getting played at left back.

In 61 games as a left winger - 22 goals and 9 assists

In 54 games as a right winger - 19 goals and 10 assists

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/maxwel-cornet/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/234781/plus/0?saison=&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

On 15/06/2022 at 19:30, joeyt said:

Surprised a city as big as Paris with so much talent coming through don't have another Ligue 1 team. I know they've got Red Star and Paris FC but you'd think there might be more like London do

Do the French really like football all that much? Certainly doesn’t seem as pervasive there as it does in English society.

As for Dwight McNeil, I've always liked him, and I think he has been really unfortunate getting stuck in that Burnley team.

He's just 22 years old though, and so their relegation will be good for him as he will get a move out of there. 

I'd have him as a young back up to whoever we bring in on the right hand side. He's the type I could see really flourish under a coach like Howe.

In any case apparently the likes of Southampton, Brentford, Leicester and West Ham are all looking at him too, and so he'll be fine either way. I'm calling it now though, once he gets out of Burnley and goes to a team that plays a more current style of football he is going to come along really well.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Do the French really like football all that much? Certainly doesn’t seem as pervasive there as it does in English society.

I’ve been to a few places in France and it’s a myth they don’t, but Paris is not a football mad City and never will be.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, KaKa said:

As for Dwight McNeil, I've always liked him, and I think he has been really unfortunate getting stuck in that Burnley team.

He's just 22 years old though, and so their relegation will be good for him as he will get a move out of there. 

I'd have him as a young back up to whoever we bring in on the right hand side. He's the type I could see really flourish under a coach like Howe.

In any case apparently the likes of Southampton, Brentford, Leicester and West Ham are all looking at him too, and so he'll be fine either way. I'm calling it now though, once he gets out of Burnley and goes to a team that plays a more current style of football he is going to come along really well.

I like how direct he is and his feet work. Goals and assist numbers are skewered because he’s at Burnley. I think he could be a real boon in a more attacking team. I like him!

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Are we in a position now though where we can afford to take a risk on someone who has done nothing of note for about 18 months ?

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Not anywhere near like the UK. Its actually a bit mad theyve had so many good players and teams given the desire for the game is seemingly a lot lower generally. 

Street football in France is bigger than here in the U.K. but they lack the organisation of our kids’ grassroots game so it remains as just that. It’s mostly the generation of youngsters of immigrants who are footy daft in France, hence their massively multi-cultural teams over the years and their club sides. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Are we in a position now though where we can afford to take a risk on someone who has done nothing of note for about 18 months ?

Well, as a back up option on the right hand side I would do it. The guy has talent and having another left footed winger in a back up role there would be good, as I assume Almiron will be leaving.

I think under Howe and playing in our system he would do more than Almiron, Murphy or Matt Ritchie ever did, and he will only keep getting better as he is still young.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Have to disagree, we already have enough wingers with no end product 

If we can't gamble on young talented prospects to take us forward now in the hope they become the foundation in the future for a team competing for trophies, when will we ever be in a position to do so? We have no european competition, we have no expectations to do anything other than improve on last season. 

Edit: and we have an old ass squad that needs the average age trimmed significantly

Edited by Conjo

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Cornet has had a pretty bizarre career in regards to how he has been moved around all over the place position wise. He's not even a striker.

In France he was a 1 in 3 goal scorer on both the right wing and then the left wing, but then somehow ended up playing left wing back at Lyon before then coming over to Burnley and playing up front.

If he had remained a winger he would have been a much bigger prospect by now as he was very productive in those roles. No idea why he started getting played at left back.

In 61 games as a left winger - 22 goals and 9 assists

In 54 games as a right winger - 19 goals and 10 assists

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/maxwel-cornet/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/234781/plus/0?saison=&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Was just on transfermarkt in an attempt to post something similar [emoji38].

Cornet is a good player and better than what we currently have. I’d take McNeil as well; ready-made champions league level players will be hard to come by without having European football to offer. People don’t want mercenaries who will just come here for the money but at the same time want elite young players to come here despite inevitably  having (currently) better suitors. Our best bet is to bring in young/youngish and undervalued players -like high PL performers who’ve just been relegated eg. Sarr, Cornet, Pope, McNeil- climb up the table, get the FFP monkey off our back through sponsorships etc. and push on from there.