More transfer rumours

midds

3 minutes ago, STM said:

10m for Pope would be the perfect bridge between where we are and where are going.

Having a core of British players is crucial IMO and Pope is Englands number 2/3. He's already PL proven. Decent value at 10m. Half the price Henderson was touted for.

Nice to think that if we had a 20m budget for a keeper that 10m has been saved for another area. Not that it works that way I'm sure.

We where supposedly only interested in loaning Henderson though so if anything buying Pope would actually give us less to spend on other positions 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think Pope & Dubravka are top 8 level as a pair. 2-3 years time let Dubravka move on and sign a new number 1 once we’re in the top 6:7 places.

I suspect Dubravka could be allowed to leave if Pope comes in, even if Darlow goes. Finding a number 2 wouldn't be hard. Ben Foster please.

Like i say, Darlow the other way would make so much sense. Wouldn't be surprised if that was being discussed, especially since he was supposedly discussed as part of any Henderson deal.

6 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Buy cheap buy twice 

While true we ain't penny pinching for no reason we obviously see the keeper position as a priority not because our current no1 is shit its the drop off in quality if he is suspended or injured. Too much of the squad needs big spends to go into window 2 of the new ownership and spend a ton on a keeper in a few windows we replace with a big money no1 a 10m fee has seen us through it won't be seen as a waste if we have no faith in our current backup keepers. 

Dunno why people rate Dubravka so highly. He makes the odd save every few games, does OK but never really does anything that any keeper wouldn’t do. And he looked very shaky when we were playing badly and under pressure. 

I don’t know that much about keepers TBF. 

Guest neesy111
11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Dunno why people rate Dubravka so highly. He makes the odd save every few games, does OK but never really does anything that any keeper wouldn’t do. And he looked very shaky when we were playing badly and under pressure. 

His stats put him in the best 5 in the league.

He needs upgrading eventually but he's not as bad as your making it out.

Edited by neesy111

12 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

What do you count as highly? To me he is a midtable standard keeper, he has weaknesses as most of that standard do, and we’re looking at other midtable standard keepers to replace him. In the case of Pope an old fashioned “ave it!” midtable standard keeper.

I’m thoroughly unimpressed tbh.

You only need to think back on every 'keeper we've had since Given to give Dubravka his dues. I missed that period people talk about where he was supposedly dodgy, but every time I've seen him he's been largely a steady pair of hands. 

3 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

His stats put him in the best 5 in the league.

He needs upgrading eventually but he's not as bad as your making it out.

Yeah I have always thought he is one of our better quality players. He's not outstanding, but he is a reliable enough shot stopper, and quite commanding of his box IMO. It would take a very good keeper to make a significant improvement.

For £10m, Pope is acceptable. Not to replace Dubs though. We'll.need 2 decent keepers for the season. Dubs for the PL, Pope for the cups. Or when Dubs is out of form or injured. 

Darlow and Gillespie aren't going to be good enough in a season or two should we move forward to where we want to be.

Edited by nufcjb