More transfer rumours

midds

23 minutes ago, Conjo said:

If we can't gamble on young talented prospects to take us forward now in the hope they become the foundation in the future for a team competing for trophies, when will we ever be in a position to do so? We have no european competition, we have no expectations to do anything other than improve on last season. 

Edit: and we have an old ass squad that needs the average age trimmed significantly

But I’m on about within our budget this summer can we really afford to be risking but chunks of it on people so out of form in him or so unproven in Etikite. We all know last season our attacking play was awful, our right hand side is up there with the worst in the league and we know once Wilson is injured which he will be again then we have no one to come in and perform.

This summer for me should be about spending the budget on more proven players even if that means we get less overall players in.

27 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Was just on transfermarkt in an attempt to post something similar [emoji38].

Cornet is a good player and better than what we currently have. I’d take McNeil as well; ready-made champions league level players will be hard to come by without having European football to offer. People don’t want mercenaries who will just come here for the money but at the same time want elite young players to come here despite inevitably  having (currently) better suitors. Our best bet is to bring in young/youngish and undervalued players -like high PL performers who’ve just been relegated eg. Sarr, Cornet, Pope, McNeil- climb up the table, get the FFP monkey off our back through sponsorships etc. and push on from there.

I'm with you. No doubt about it :thup:

16 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Don't know why anyone would want us to waste our time looking at lower mid table PL level players. Mcneil may not even be that good. 

Worked out pretty well with Bellamy 

21 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Don't know why anyone would want us to waste our time looking at lower mid table PL level players. Mcneil may not even be that good. 

Who on earth signs players only based on where their previous club finished up :lol:

Liverpool signed both Robertson and Wijnaldum from relegated clubs and they made major contributions to their title winning team.

Everton and Leeds were mid to lower level teams this past season right? And so we shouldn't be looking at Raphinha, Richarlison or Kalvin Philips if they want to join right? I mean ... I just don't understand this mindset.

It's okay though lets see what happens, someone like Southampton, West Ham or Brentford will pickup the likes of Cornet and McNeil if we don't and when they go there and start performing everyone will start going on about how great they are.

Edited by KaKa

Yes to McNeil as a backup with potential to really improve as a player. Pope similar level to Dubs and prefer to have someone clearly better if we must get a new keeper. Fuck knows with Cornet, has ability but very inconsistent. As others have said none of them are significant improvements and squad doesn't need that much padding out.

2 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

If we’re sniffing around relegated wingers I’d go for Sarr over Cornet and McNeil, but I can’t really explain why.

Same. Sarr doesnt have amazing numbers but he has some extreme abilities.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Who on earth signs players only based on where their previous club finished up :lol:

Liverpool signed both Robertson and Wijnaldum from relegated clubs and they made major contributions to their title winning team.

Everton and Leeds were mid to lower level teams this past season right? And so we shouldn't be looking at Raphinha, Richarlison or Kalvin Philips if they want to join right? I mean ... I just don't understand this mindset.

It's okay though lets see what happens, someone like Southampton, West Ham or Brentford will pickup the likes of Cornet and McNeil if we don't and when they go there and start performing everyone will start going on about how great they are.

We should be targeting players capable of playing in a side challenging for the top six. Raphinha and Phillips would be excellent signings on that basis.  Dwight McNeil is nowhere near that level. Ward-Prowse is more like a top 10 level player, ditto Pope. 

9 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

We should be targeting players capable of playing in a side challenging for the top six. Raphinha and Phillips would be excellent signings on that basis.  Dwight McNeil is nowhere near that level. Ward-Prowse is more like a top 10 level player, ditto Pope. 

What is any of that based on? None of it is based on anything of substance.

The season before last Leicester finished 5th while using Marc Albrighton regularly as a backup out wide.

Some of you lot are getting way too carried away already.

13 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The season before last Leicester finished 5th while using Marc Albrighton regularly as a backup out wide.

Based on his performances in his career so far McNeil isn’t that level.

We also aren’t in the market for backups currently when we haven’t got any quality currently to back up.

And the season Leicester finished 5th and Albrighton was coming in he was playing alongside the likes of Maddison, Barnes, Vardy, Tielemans, Ndidi, Ricardo, Chilwell so his lack of quality wasn’t as evident. We do not have that luxury 

Edited by SUPERTOON

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Why signs backups when you can sign upgrades? 

O goals and 1 assist last season from McNeil. Can't imagine why people are unwilling to put him in the same bracket as Raphinha and Kalvin Phillips. 

Guest reefatoon

The last two players we have signed from Burnley have been absolute splodge. Avoid them at all costs.

Edited by reefatoon

Aye. Imagine looking at Hendrick and Wood and thinking "I'm sure 38 games 0 goals Dwight McNeil will work out this time!" 

Get as far away from Burnley players as we can. McNeil has worse numbers than the players we're trying to move on. 

It is about the blend. How different players complement each other and enable a preferred system. You can’t write off someone as mid-table solely based on the the teams they have played for/gaps they have tried to compensate for. Square pegs, square holes.   

Srnicek 

Venison 

Beresford

Scott/Howey

Watson/Elliot 

Bracewell

Lee

Clark

Sellars

Beardsley

Cole 

(others were involved) 

finished 3rd in our first season in the Prem. 

Man, I am going to back Howe's judgement with whoever he brings in.

Think a lot of you are setting yourselves up to be disappointed, if you think we are now above signing the likes of McNeil as a young backup option.

I think if we manage to move on the likes of Almiron and Murphy we will look at bringing in a back up player in that position along with the first teamers we are already looking at there.

Going to be an interesting summer.