More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

The Marco Asensio link whiffs of Real trying to offload him. It doesn't seem to fit with the type of player we're trying to buy.

That or agent talk to get a new deal.

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

So maybe this lad from Madrid, Diaby, Ekiteke and a midfielder on loan to conclude our business? Sounds promising .

No chance we get all that 

As much as we shit on our local media their hit-rate is a lot better than international publications. Seems like most links are just agent-driven nonsense.

Edited by McCormick

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

So maybe this lad from Madrid, Diaby, Ekiteke and a midfielder on loan to conclude our business? Sounds promising .

Think its either/or on Asensio and Diaby but likely neither! Seems like Ekitike or Broja. However with the amount of links the past couple of days for wingers, left ones at that, maybe we want two new wingers or we were considering Ekitike as more of a winger than striker. Just nice to be linked with so many players and likely a whole host more to come we dont know about. 

9 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

He scored in 7 games in a row or whatever it was as a CM during his loan spell:lol:

Unless he's upgraded this summer I think he'll very important in that RCM role this season.

Who? Asensio? He hasn’t been on loan? 

"Turning your nose up" is rapidly becoming a massive pet hate like.

Let's take Neymar as an extreme example, but a player who's name has been linked.

Neymar is an excellent player, a bit overrated in my opinion, but very good nonetheless. He'd arguably be the most high profile name to sign for us in our history and in terms of ability, he'd be our best player.

That said I wouldn't want us to sign Neymar. At best, we'd have to match the absolutely ludicrous wages he's on, he'd destroy the dressing room harmony that was such a big factor in our success last season and I don't think he'd be particularly hungry to be a success here.

I'm not turning my nose up at Neymar, I think he's a very good footballer.  I just think he'd be an absolutely terrible fit for Newcastle United.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

"Turning your nose up" is rapidly becoming a massive pet hate like.

Let's take Neymar as an extreme example, but a player who's name has been linked.

Neymar is an excellent player, a bit overrated in my opinion, but very good nonetheless. He'd arguably be the most high profile name to sign for us in our history and in terms of ability, he'd be our best player.

That said I wouldn't want us to sign Neymar. At best, we'd have to match the absolutely ludicrous wages he's on, he'd destroy the dressing room harmony that was such a big factor in our success last season and I don't think he'd be particularly hungry to be a success here.

I'm not turning my nose up at Neymar, I think he's a very good footballer.  I just think he'd be an absolutely terrible fit for Newcastle United.

The only reason I wouldn't want Neymar is because of his wages (and fee if were buying) would be insane. Not sure why else you wouldn't have him if he was on a free and and hia wages were say £120k a week?

I don't know what Acensio wages is, but if it's in line with our best players currently it hardly works with your Neymar comparison.

Ashworth seems to be targeting either quality Premier league players or cracking prospects with huge potential, I live his process and I'm now convinced we'll have a great go this season, bring it on.

Started a post about how it wasn't even worth saying Neymar's name, he's so polar opposite to what our new management and coaching structure would be after. Then I just kept laughing, thinking of Breaking Bad..."Say my name"..."You're Neymar"..."You're god-damn right".

I mean doesn't the bloke get a hotel for each time he scores in a win or something ludicrous like that? Only PSG could be this stupid man...

Just now, The Prophet said:

I was just using Neymar as an extreme example, it wouldn't happen in a million years.

And that's why it's not a valid comparison to Acensio, who's wages sound like they might be in line with our structure.

For what's it worth I read it as people doubted Acensio for whether he was in decline, not young enough, possibly injury prone or couldn't hack it in this league?

8 minutes ago, hakka said:

And that's why it's not a valid comparison to Acensio, who's wages sound like they might be in line with our structure.

For what's it worth I read it as people doubted Acensio for whether he was in decline, not young enough, possibly injury prone or couldn't hack it in this league?

It was more a general dig at the phrase "turning our nose up at" which seems to get wheeled out when fans have (sometimes perfectly reasonable) concerns about a player we're looking at.

I haven't watched La Liga properly for a few years now, so I couldn't really comment on the merits of signing Acensio, but stuff like his fitness record and declining ability (I don't know if it is) seem like reasonable reservations.

The thing I am really happy about the club is that Howe appears to have a plan and is looking for players capable of contributing to that plan.

Don’t really know much about Ascensio— I don’t watch much La Liga or CL football, but the thing that gave me pause was somebody commenting that he wouldn’t offer much in the way of defending for the front or pressuring the ball. The one argument for Lingard is that he does those things well, though his character and wages may be in question. 

15 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It was more a general dig at the phrase "turning our nose up at" which seems to get wheeled out when fans have (sometimes perfectly reasonable) concerns about a player we're looking at.

I haven't watched La Liga properly for a few years now, so I couldn't really comment on the merits of signing Acensio, but stuff like his fitness record and declining ability (I don't know if it is) seem like reasonable reservations.

Which I get, just seems potentially a bit off key for this player. He's managed 40+ games a season and usually with around 10 goal return for last 6 years apart from 19/20 where it looks he was injured. He's a Spanish international, competes in the Champions League and he has to fight for a spot at Real Madrid. Not really seeing strong evidence of decline, fitness or injury issues. Just seems like a quality player but Real have better or want even better options. He's still lightyears ahead of what we have to offer on right flank, possibly could be best talent we've ever had right wing in 20 years. 

I'd say biggest question is whether this league is right fit for him, but he has very quick feet and thinking, I don't believe he'd struggle that much. Pedro was far more light weight and still had good impact at Chelsea and they are sort of similar players.

Edited by hakka

There's some links which I find just not credible. Never thought there was much chance of us getting Phillips or Raphina simply because of who we were up against. Same applies to Osihmen. Ascensio doesn't seem that ludicrous though. He's only 26, his wages aren't ridiculous, and he would provide genuine quality end product. No idea if it's all just agent talk though or even if we have any interest. Just it wouldn't be that outrageous.

6 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Have to say I didn’t read it like that at all. Thought the comparison of players nailed what I was thinking. And I am pretty sure it didn’t involve any casual racism. Just like a Kante is like (a better) Batty would have also been a good comparison. 

And how often do people say "Kante reminds me of David Batty"? He's most frequently compared to another short black midfielder of African heritage.

Let's not pretend that how players look and their ethnic background doesn't play a part in who they are compared too and their general description. 

I'd be pretty happy with Harrison/Gordon and Hudson-Odoi tbh. Think we are about a year away from the likes of Asensio and Diaby happening. Could have said the same about Botman and Bruno though. 

Edited by toontownman

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

That or agent talk to get a new deal.

There's 0 chance Asensio's getting a new contract at Real Madrid. RM want him off the wage bill, he's a weak link in the side. The fans want a new RF or they want Rodrygo to get more game time. They don't want to start Asensio again.

He's a good finisher and has good movement. Not RM quality.

I wouldn't want him either.

Tottenham have signed a 33 year old Perišić. Do people who have concerns over Acensio, how would you feel if we had landed Perišić?

Just curious - not a dig.