More transfer rumours

midds

He's not been shocking, but nowhere near the standard I expected from watching them week in week out. Has a great shot on him, but a part from that he's nothing special in my honest opinion. Have a feeling he'd be another Albert Luque for some reason. 

Would be interesting but he’s not looked the same player since his injury. He’s also that typical, almost old-fashioned Spanish “winger” who’s really just a cam; not enough work-rate or speed but insane technically. Not sure how he’d work in a high pressing system but would be a pretty cool signing, even though it’s most likely a nonsense rumour.

I know we don’t want to go too far that way, but having the odd ‘name’ signing definitely won’t do us harm in the short term like. It’s not like it’s a 33 year old having a last payday, he’s bang in his prime on the back of his best season statistically?

Hasn't he "apparently" turned down Liverpool because he wants to go to AC Milan?

More likely we are getting linked to him from the Italian press so Milan can get one back over us. Asensio would smash our wage structure and be a bit of a marquee player but doubt we are interested at this point. Guess you never know.. but we pretty much know.

Just now, toontownman said:

Hasn't he "apparently" turned down Liverpool because he wants to go to AC Milan?

More likely we are getting linked to him from the Italian press so Milan can get one back over us. Asensio would smash our wage structure and be a bit of a marquee player but doubt we are interested at this point. Guess you never know.. but we pretty much know.

it’s the Spanish press that have linked him. AS are hit and miss but I’m sure it was those that posted the photos of Freddie Shepherd meeting Albert Luque’s agent before he signed so maybe…

13 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Still getting games for Spain and last year was his best goalscoring season ever. He's probably good enough for us like :lol:

There needs to be thought process of "is he better than Muprhy, Almiron and Fraser?" rather than "nah he's been shitter for Real Madrid of late" when actually he's still contributing a lot in an elite level side. :lol:

3 minutes ago, hakka said:

There needs to be thought process of "is he better than Muprhy, Almiron and Fraser?" rather than "nah he's been shitter for Real Madrid of late" when actually he's still contributing a lot in an elite level side. :lol:

This 100%

13 minutes ago, hakka said:

Agree to an extent, but the is he better than Murphy, Almiron and Fraser shouldn’t be the only consideration. It’s not difficult to find players better than them 3, doesn’t mean they are good enough.

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Doubt we want Asensio. Id be genuinely shocked if we did. Apart from scoring he offers basically nothing and is lazy from what I’ve heard. 

This. He’s got good technique but doesn’t press whatsoever, and is pretty passive on the pitch. Needs to move to a team which would accommodate him. 

Hes a left winger isnt he? I only really know him from FM.

Absolute assist machine in one of the games, like 30+ in either the last FM or the one before.

Surely he will cost a fortune in wages though?

Edited by Lazarus

4 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Absolute assist machine in one of the games, like 30+ in either the last FM or the one before.

Wants around £135kpw apparently, I read somewhere

Thing is that I want us to go for players that can/will grow with the club. Get players that get better with time hopefully . Doing it this way we wont have to replace as many players as we would if we sign players that aren’t quite top top class but wont be good enough for “phase 2” either. Ideally we get players that definitely improve us now but can go another level or two or even more within time. Obviously not against elite players with the right hunger and attitude, but we are not quite there yet to get these. Going this path is probably the most sensible and economically achievable without spending ridiculous levels, ffp and all that. This is why I doubt we will be going for players like Asensio for example. I like the idea of us going more organically but in a more ambitious way than most other clubs. 

Need to find the level of players before they reach the ultimate elite level. Avoid the likes of James Rodrigues and similar. 

Edited by Ikon

47 minutes ago, Flip said:

He's not been shocking, but nowhere near the standard I expected from watching them week in week out. Has a great shot on him, but a part from that he's nothing special in my honest opinion. Have a feeling he'd be another Albert Luque for some reason. 

Awesome in his first match and then injured never to be back to his best again?

9 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Predominantly a RW but can play LW or AM. 

Tbh I confused him with Carrasco who we have also been linked with. He is a LW that can also play RW

1 hour ago, STM said:

This is what I suspected. When you have someone like Rafa as a phone-a-friend, you use it.

I'd like to think that a part of Eddie Howes "education" trips to Madrid and the likes were partly a networking mission.

You can't tell me that when we signed Trippier, Howes relationship with Simeone didn't make a small difference.

It is relatively common for European managers to spend a week or two at other clubs when they don't have a job. Just to learn new tactics, ideas on coaching, fitness, scouting players etc. I remember Poch stating he spent a week with Rafa at Inter or at Madrid. Looks like Klopp spent time at Porto or Benfica between Dortmund and Liverpool jobs. He always speaks highly about the footballing culture in Portugal. 

Rafa has been very open about the time he spent at Milan and Bayern. I think once he was fired from Inter, he spent a week at Arsenal. Which might explain the Hayden signing. Some of the more modern British progressive coaches seem to be following suit.