More transfer rumours

midds

Guest HTT II
7 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

I do think there is something to the racial stereotyping of African players especially. For years there were posts on here about our needing some “black power”. I think that some of posts were tongue-in-cheek, ironically racist, but they were what they were. And the stereotype is lazy. 

The African stereotype appears to me much more prominent and lazy than any others. Perhaps if we saw more Mexican or Korean players we might see something comparable. (And I mean real Mexicans, not “Mexicans”).

Mexican? Now you’re speaking my language el hermano!

Guest HTT II
Just now, The College Dropout said:

Timo Werner doesn't get compared to Craig Bellamy enough for my liking.

Bellamy was the better player, not as technically gifted, but more effective. Anyway one is a sheep shagger and the other a Nazi, how’s that for video killed the radio star stereotype!

44 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

And how often do people say "Kante reminds me of David Batty"? He's most frequently compared to another short black midfielder of African heritage.

Let's not pretend that how players look and their ethnic background doesn't play a part in who they are compared too and their general description. 

Not pretending anything, or denying the categorical race based comparisons which some people make, just saying that is not what I personally think was the case on this occasion. It is also. It what the original poster say they meant. I also think that jumping to that conclusion when there’s a perfectly understandable and arguably more obvious alternative verges on the offensive. 

10 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Mexican? Now you’re speaking my language el hermano!

After posting that I got to thinking about my own assumptions and whether they are valid or not and what it all means. I was born and raised and continue to live in California, and have always played the game with a lot of Mexicans or Mexican-Americans. And they do (or did) play the game differently than we (white boys) did.  

That said, I’m sick to death of anti-Mexican racism (not as prominent in California now— it was really, really bad) and wary of any thinking that might be taken to stereotype Them.

Edited by gazza ladra

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Bellamy was way more technically gifted than Werner IMO. A more gifted dribbler and creator who spent a lot of his career playing out wide.

Werner can barely kick a ball properly half the time.

Do you know what, you are probably right, in many ways Bellamy was underrated, when he went to Blackburn oddly enough, he upped his game and I saw a more technical and efficient Bellamy who played such an intelligent game.

23 minutes ago, STM said:

You implied it. Don't play word games. You might get into daft arguments with others on this forum but I'm not falling for your shit.

No I didn't. I said what I meant.

It's a lazy comparison - if CHO was white Italian - it wouldn't have been made. Likewise if he wasn't coming from Chelsea - it probably wouldn't have been made either. Both probably contributed to the comparison Like i've gone on to say - it's more jarring because it was used to suggest he may end up being a bit shit. 

Racism? Not implied.

Edited by The College Dropout

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Bellamy was really underrated like. A big part of our modern history but became a much better player again at Liverpool and Man City.

I think once away from Shearer, he become more of a modern forward we are seeing the likes of today. What I’d give for a player like him today at Newcastle…

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

I think once away from Shearer, he become more of a modern forward we are seeing the likes of today. What I’d give for a player like him today at Newcastle…

Agree. Terrific player. Probably would meet the  “good character” requirement though.

Guest HTT II
8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No I didn't. I said what I meant.

It's a lazy comparison - if CHO was white Italian - it wouldn't have been made. Likewise if he wasn't coming from Chelsea - it probably wouldn't have been made either. Both probably contributed to the comparison Like i've gone on to say - it's more jarring because it was used to suggest he may end up being a bit shit. 

Racism? Not implied.

You do raise a valid point, but I also think regardless of nationality or ethnicity, there is stereotypes of everyone everywhere, on and off the pitch. White men having massive cocks for example, I can confirm that’s not true or every black player being as quick as Sven Botman. I honestly think you’ve not read the room here regarding Gordon vs CHO. I’d rather we signed the latter, not because of skin colour, but I think he’s just a much better all-round footballer, I’d say the same of Gordon if he was a better footballer. 

Edited by HTT II

30 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

I do think there is something to the racial stereotyping of African players especially. For years there were posts on here about our needing some “black power”. I think that some of posts were tongue-in-cheek, ironically racist, but they were what they were. And the stereotype is lazy. 

The African stereotype appears to me much more prominent and lazy than any others. Perhaps if we saw more Mexican or Korean players we might see something comparable. (And I mean real Mexicans, not “Mexicans”).

The "Black Power" was taking the piss out of someone who started a thread on here (or the old forum, if you will) with the thread title "we need black power", which was closed pretty much straight away. The thread starter might even have been banned, but don't quite remember. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, Nobody said:

The "Black Power" was taking the piss out of someone who started a thread on here (or the old forum, if you will) with the thread title "we need black power", which was closed pretty much straight away. The thread starter might even have been banned, but don't quite remember. 

The thread starter is now a high ranking moderator on here, that’s the power of black power for you.

3 minutes ago, Nobody said:

That has to have been James?

Yeah, I sensed that it was ironic. Frequently in quotes. Maybe I wasn’t aware of the original context or had forgotten. It lingered for years, I think. But the irony proves the point doesn’t it? It’s a persistent cliche, a stereotype.

Edited by gazza ladra

Maybe opening a can of worms here, but which players are not being described as they should be that you could reasonably assume is down to stereotypical thinking?

For example, I remember rarely hearing Yaya Toure being described as intelligent despite obviously being very intelligent.

But in 2022 I can't think of an obvious example.

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Maybe opening a can of worms here, but which players are not being described as they should be that you could reasonably assume is down to stereotypical thinking?

For example, I remember rarely hearing Yaya Toure being described as intelligent despite obviously being very intelligent.

I think the stereotypical descriptions are less prominent than they were a few years ago TBF. ‘Power’ and ‘lack of football brain’ used to be applied to so many black players. 

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Dunno, I remember the likes of Kompany and Viera being described as intelligent. Throw in Desailly as well.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think the stereotypical descriptions are less prominent than they were a few years ago TBF. ‘Power’ and ‘lack of football brain’ used to be applied to so many black players. 

Commentators and pundits must be so aware of it now. Just laughing to myself imagining it going the other way and no one getting any credit for anything that could be seen as positive discrimination. Son working really hard as he usually does and the commentator doing everything they can to mention that he's hard working.