More transfer rumours

midds

Almiron is a lot better than he gets credit for. It's no coincidence that since Howe has come in Almiron has found his smile that was lost for 2 years. I think Bruce really did a number on him and he's finally starting to return to form. If he gets the chance he will improve considerably.

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Regarding Paqueta or any other quality midfielder that would literally improve us big time NOW.. I've seen it mentioned countless times that this position can be sorted out later, in january or next summer.

Why wait? There's plenty of time to get another player signed on top of a striker and RW. So why wait to improve us? Spend on quality now and we have one less position to spend on in january or

next summer or whenever, it wont make a difference when it comes to FFP in the long term. A very good "first" season of this era will help us in many ways. it could improve our final position in the table and our chances of sniffing around the europa spots. Also would show that this club is going places and a very good season can only improve our chances of getting a good sponsor deal.

Having said that, i know we can't strengthen every position and this area might not be a top priority. Personally though, on top of a backup striker and RW a very good CM of some sort can/will be very very important. I would even go as far as saying that it could make or break our season depending on injuries and so on. It's not as good as people think, our midfield that is. Feels like our good run has clouded peoples judgement. I think we will get a midfielder of some sort, it's vital i'd say.

I agree. I'd have both Diaby and Paqueta here now. The worry with signing Paqueta later is that if he has a good world cup it could be game over.

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Regarding Paqueta or any other quality midfielder that would literally improve us big time NOW.. I've seen it mentioned countless times that this position can be sorted out later, in january or next summer.

Why wait? There's plenty of time to get another player signed on top of a striker and RW. So why wait to improve us? Spend on quality now and we have one less position to spend on in january or

next summer or whenever, it wont make a difference when it comes to FFP in the long term. A very good "first" season of this era will help us in many ways. it could improve our final position in the table and our chances of sniffing around the europa spots. Also would show that this club is going places and a very good season can only improve our chances of getting a good sponsor deal.

Having said that, i know we can't strengthen every position and this area might not be  a priority. PErsonally though, on top of a backup striker and RW a very good CM of some sort can be very very important. I would even go as far as saying that it could make or break our season depending on injuries and so on. It's not as good as people think, our midfield that is. Feels like our good run has clouded peoples judgement. I think we will get a midfielder of some sort, it's vital i'd say.

Agree with everything you’ve said here, reading between the lines a bit on Howes comments and such I think he’s pretty set on not shaking up the squad to much this summer. We keep hearing only 2 more in and at the start of the window it was reported that we only wanted 5 players in total including Targett. January might be a big window for us on the midfield front. 

2 minutes ago, Bompeter said:

But if we know they’re essentially incapable of scoring or creating goals, in what sense are they actually ‘fine’?

In a dysfunctional team everyone is going to have trouble creating. 

32 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Initial reaction based on a different black winger coming from Chelsea - inconsistent winger trope. Gordon - hard working good English lad - maybe not so talented trope.

What has skin colour got to do with it?

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I agree. I'd have both Diaby and Paqueta here now. The worry with signing Paqueta later is that if he has a good world cup it could be game over.

I agree totally, these two plus a loan striker would be a perfect window. Next summer can be spent on a big CF. 

Diaby & Paqueta in this window would likely be an additional 100m on top of what we have already spent. They have made it clear that we're not going quite that big this Summer, unless they're about to announce some huge sponsorship deal. I personally think they'll spend another 40m on a wide forward (Diaby), then loan (with potential obligation to buy) a younger striker to understudy Wilson (a Broja type).

Edited by sushimonster85

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

Diaby & Paqueta in this window would likely be an additional 100m on top of what we have already spend. They have made it clear that we're not going quite that big this Summer, unless they're about to announce some huge sponsorship deal. I personally think they'll spend another 40m on a wide forward (Diaby), then loan (with potential obligation to buy) a younger striker to understudy Wilson (a Broja type).

Yes they will box smart on a striker like Broja first and then go all in on Diaby.

10 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Almiron is a lot better than he gets credit for. It's no coincidence that since Howe has come in Almiron has found his smile that was lost for 2 years. I think Bruce really did a number on him and he's finally starting to return to form. If he gets the chance he will improve considerably.

Howe isn't starting him either. We have essentially three wide players in Almiron, Murphy and Fraser, out of those you might say Fraser has some end product, but he's injury prone and because he's so small has trouble beating defenders for pace over any sort of distance.

Right wing is one of our weakest areas, it's pointless trying to find reasons to be cheerful. We have to accept that no one is breaking down any doors to sign any of them because they are pretty crap.

3 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Diaby & Paqueta in this window would likely be an additional 100m on top of what we have already spend. They have made it clear that we're not going quite that big this Summer, unless they're about to announce some huge sponsorship deal. I personally think they'll spend another 40m on a wide forward (Diaby), then loan (with potential obligation to buy) a younger striker to understudy Wilson (a Broja type).

Spend on Paqueta now or spend on him later, Total cost and outlay will be the same, if  not more further ahead. Doesn't have to be him, just using him as an example. Get a midfielder on loan "at worst". We need it, the added quality. Such a vital area that we aren't very strong in.

22 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I hope there’s something in the Hudson-Odoi talk. I think it would be a brilliant move for him and us.

I really like him, from what I've seen. concerned about his injury problems though.

51 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Initial reaction based on a different black winger coming from Chelsea - inconsistent winger trope. Gordon - hard working good English lad - maybe not so talented trope.

I don’t get the (black) reference?

unless it’s your attempt at humour or racism ?

Well they were set to spend 30m on Ekitike, so at the very least that’s what they’ll spend on an alternative.

I wouldn’t rule out us going back in for him.. the kid seems to be portraying an image like he’s happy to stay where he is etc but apart from spurious rumours about PSG, there’s no other serious offers for him at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Well they were set to spend 30m on Ekitike, so at the very least that’s what they’ll spend on an alternative.

I wouldn’t rule out us going back in for him.. the kid seems to be portraying an image like he’s happy to stay where he is etc but apart from spurious rumours about PSG, there’s no other serious offers for him at the moment.

The Ekitike deal was supposedly back loaded. Smaller amount upfront, with more paid over the duration of the contract. Also, don't think its a coincidence the Diaby talk picked back up once it became clear they were moving on from Ekitike. 

10 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I think the Ekiteke thing is done. It's becoming more and more clear that he doesn't want to come, even if he relented on deadline day you'd have to question bringing in someone who's heart is elsewhere.

We'll be looking at alternatives now, Hugo can play another season at Reimes.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Skin colour has nothing to do with any reaction?

Hudson-Odoi would be a no from me.  Only got into that Chelsea team because Lampard couldn't buy anyone else and once they could he barely played. He's not a top half Premier League level player.