More transfer rumours

midds

7 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Hey, I know it's about opinions, but I honestly can't see why others can't see this.  

I think we all can see it, but continue with Fraser and Almiron if we want to progress is madness.

4 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

And you sir get infuriated every time you think someone is talking nonsense? Probably the internet isn’t for folks like you.

And you are an admin, so you should help create an atmosphere that encourages discussions. All I said is that Paqueta isn’t a substitute for Shelvey and that triggered the Karen inside of you, Jeez. 

:lol: Ironically this full post reads like it was written by a Karen.

2 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

I think we'll see 1 or 2 in this week.  Paqueta and Diaby most likely.  If we got those 2k, a dm and Patrick Schick we would be top 6 no bother.  We won't so I don't know why I wrote this.  I do think we will see a signing this week though.

Dont think there will be any signings when they are on tour. Nothing close either by reports.

Just now, nufc123 said:

I think we all can see it, but continue with Fraser and Almiron if we want to progress is madness.

Continue with Willock, Longstaff and Shelvey in my opinion is madness also if you want to progress. Willock is the best of the three in the current set up. but he just has far too many poor games. As I said before we need both positions now, and there is no reason why not, as we have plenty of wiggle room with FFP, assisted by forthcoming increased sponsorship levels.

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Hey, I know it's about opinions, but I honestly can't see why others can't see this.  

The squad was left such a mess by years of underinvestment that it would be impossible to address all of its issues in a couple of transfer markets, but that doesn't mean that midfield shouldn't be as high a priority as the forward line.

Obviously, the club wanted to address the leaky defence out of the gate and it helped no end. The biggest problem we now have is that the squad lacks goals. The obvious way to solve this would be to buy more goalscorers, but we need to create more chances for our goalscorers too, which we'd do if we improved our ball retention, pushed higher up the pitch and produced better delivery in the final third. A quality midfield would help us do that.

If we could get a right winger who could play across the forward line and bring in a midfielder, I'd be delighted. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

The squad was left such a mess by years of underinvestment that it would be impossible to address all of its issues in a couple of transfer markets, but that doesn't mean that midfield shouldn't be as high a priority as the forward line.

Obviously, the club wanted to address the leaky defence out of the gate and it helped no end. The biggest problem we now have is that the squad lacks goals. The obvious way to solve this would be to buy more goalscorers, but we need to create more chances for our goalscorers too, which we'd do if we improved our ball retention, pushed higher up the pitch and produced better delivery in the final third. A quality midfield would help us do that.

If we could get a right winger who could play across the forward line and bring in a midfielder, I'd be delighted. 

I couldn't agree more with everything you have said. 

6 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Continue with Willock, Longstaff and Shelvey in my opinion is madness also if you want to progress. Willock is the best of the three in the current set up. but he just has far too many poor games. As I said before we need both positions now, and there is no reason why not, as we have plenty of wiggle room with FFP, assisted by forthcoming increased sponsorship levels.

Agree. Paqueta could also negate the desperate need to get a 2nd forward.

Edited by madras

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I midfield we got some quality. Its not perfect at all. Shelvey and Willock scored as much as the whole right side. The right side is dead. Maximin is not really that much either. Wilson is good. We need both, totally agree but we are lacking goals and assists in attack. 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I don't think Paqueta will actually be sold this window tbh. He might have asked for a move, but doesn't sound like Lyon are going to let him go unless they get an eye-watering amount. I can't see us or Arsenal stumping up €65m, and I don't think Lyon will drop their valuation to do us any favours.

He's 100% leaving imo. Bruno and Paqueta were Juninho's main signings during his unsuccessful (for Lyon standards) DoF stint. He was the main reason they chose OL and I'm sure Aulas saw the pound signs the second he terminated Juninho's contract.. I still believe we want Paqueta and we'll get him but it would likely take tiresome negotiations upto the end of the window.

Edited by junkhead

2 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

I midfield we got some quality. Its not perfect at all. Shelvey and Willock scored as much as the whole right side. The right side is dead. Maximin is not really that much either. Wilson is good. We need both, totally agree but we are lacking goals and assists in attack. 

Stuff the assist stat for the time being considering we had little possession, no attacking midfield and Wood and it wouldn't be dead with Paqueta.

Edited by madras

Howe himself said about Bruno...

“He is a defensive midfielder, but a creative one. The reason we signed him was because we loved his way of playing, his eye for a pass and composure.”

1 minute ago, madras said:

Stuff the assist stat for the time being considering we had little possession, no attacking midfield and Wood and it wouldn't be dead with Paqueta.

If you are going like that Shelvey and even Bruno would have created alot more with a quality RW in the side. 

6 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

We are lacking control of the ball, chances created and goals from BOTH positions. That new right winger we need, then needs service to him, to be able to create those chances. He's going to get a lot more oportunity if we have a midfield which can control the ball and provide this service, something the current midfield does not provide enough - just look at the stats.

Edited by et tu brute

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If we don't sign a CM then we're a Bruno injury from a very average midfield.

It is but so are LB, RB, CM, LF, CF. Almost every position bar keeper and CD.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If we don't sign a CM then we're a Bruno injury from a very average midfield.

Agreed but many clubs will be weakened after losing a main player like that. We'd also be stronger in there for having Paqueta in such a situation.

8 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

If you are going like that Shelvey and even Bruno would have created alot more with a quality RW in the side. 

And even more with a player like Paqueta alongside them.

Edited by madras

We simply don't have the time or the cash to solve all of the problems in a window or 2. We're going to have to accept as fans the fact that we're still going to be a bit short in a few areas for a few years yet, we absolutely will pick up injuries and suspensions this year and we've not got the squad to cope with it yet. Jumping from relegation fodder to pushing for Europe is a 3 year deal imo, we're going to have to dip deep into the squad and the strengthening needs to be a medium term thing. I'm ruling out pushing for top 4 or top 6 or whatever. I would like more points, more goals, fewer conceded and more clean sheets next year. If that happens I'll be more than happy. 

Setting expectations that are clearly not achievable with the squad we currently have will only lead to frustration and disappointment. They're investing more cash into the team and the club than we've ever seen before. Please don't have pops at them if player x or player y doesn't sign, they're demonstrably doing their best. 

4 minutes ago, madras said:

Nor me with Diaby, I just think Paqueta would give us more.

Maybe. RW is still and has always been pri one for me.

Edited by nufc123