More transfer rumours

midds

If they think he’s a level above what we can currently recruit and also falls into the category of a position we would ideally improve next summer I think they’ll pull the trigger now while we can get him and use budget from summer 2023. 

With FFP there is quite a lot flexibility. The ‘budget’ may well be for the positions they’ve identified for this season. Paqueta might be a too good to pass and paid for outside of the arbitrary budget for this summer.

pure guesswork like

There is zero chance we are in for Paqueta this summer, we can’t afford the big big money for the priority positions, we aren’t then going to spend similar on a position we aren’t as desperate for.

I don't think we are close to signing anyone and I don't think the press has a real grasp on who we are trying to sign.

They clearly have a small list of names that they know we have enquired about and keep regurgitating them.

To my best memory, they didn't know about Bruno until the foreign press said we were close to agreeing a fee. They didn't know about Chris Wood until we activated his release clause. Matt Targett happened on deadline day and had only been fleetingly mentioned previous. Dan Burn was actually someone I suggested but the press didn't know anything until there was talk from the Brighton end. In this window we signed Nick Pope but we had been linked with Areola and Henderson.

Botman and Trippier they were aware of but Botman in particular was the worst kept secret going, since Staveley had admitted interest in January.

In summary, chill out, the press know very little. Things can happen very quickly and will probably happen from a direction you won't expect.

10 hours ago, McCormick said:

Based off of last season’s form I’d go Dennis as well; seems like he just glides across the pitch megging players left and right. For a rumoured 20m, that’d great business imo.

Honestly though if we can’t land our top targets, any of those 3 would greatly improve us (and without breaking the bank).

I do think we hold an interest in all 3, but we will try for as long as we can to land our top targets before moving on to these 3. Pretty relaxed about it if it is the case because any of those 3 will massively improve us without breaking the bank.

53 minutes ago, Slim said:

I honestly don't believe that if Paqueta wants to sign we will find the cash

Is Mike still in charge?

Look how much our new owners have done for our club in the short time they've been here already! Lets just sit back and trust them. 

9 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

There is zero chance we are in for Paqueta this summer, we can’t afford the big big money for the priority positions, we aren’t then going to spend similar on a position we aren’t as desperate for.

I don't think we will sign him if i had to bet, but saying that there is zero chance as if it's a fact is just wrong. 

I'm sorry for possibly going over old news, but has paqueta ever been genuinely touted as a club target or has it all just built up pace because of the best mates with Bruno link?

either way, nothing against botman, but I've got the feeling the club will still want a marquee signing this window.

just a feeling in my bones.

7 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I don't think we will sign him if i had to bet, but saying that there is zero chance as if it's a fact is just wrong. 

You say that as if it’s a crime ? I meant zero chance in my opinion which is based on us not being able to spend that much on him and us having more pressing matters to address 

12 minutes ago, JP said:

Is Mike still in charge?

Look how much our new owners have done for our club in the short time they've been here already! Lets just sit back and trust them. 

How is not being able to spend upwards of 50 million on one player someone saying Mike is in charge ?

3 minutes ago, NE27 said:

I'm sorry for possibly going over old news, but has paqueta ever been genuinely touted as a club target or has it all just built up pace because of the best mates with Bruno link?

We scouted him and allegedly bid before turning our attention to Bruno. 

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

You say that as if it’s a crime ? I meant zero chance in my opinion which is based on us not being able to spend that much on him and us having more pressing matters to address 

Absolutely no crime.. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, STM said:

I'm of the opinion we will now go for 2x20m players rather than one for 40. Anyone from a list of Zapata, Broja, Cornet, Dennis, Sarr, Hudson Odoi.

Probably rule out Zapata due to age 

21 minutes ago, STM said:

I don't think we are close to signing anyone and I don't think the press has a real grasp on who we are trying to sign.

They clearly have a small list of names that they know we have enquired about and keep regurgitating them.

To my best memory, they didn't know about Bruno until the foreign press said we were close to agreeing a fee. They didn't know about Chris Wood until we activated his release clause. Matt Targett happened on deadline day and had only been fleetingly mentioned previous. Dan Burn was actually someone I suggested but the press didn't know anything until there was talk from the Brighton end. In this window we signed Nick Pope but we had been linked with Areola and Henderson.

Botman and Trippier they were aware of but Botman in particular was the worst kept secret going, since Staveley had admitted interest in January.

In summary, chill out, the press know very little. Things can happen very quickly and will probably happen from a direction you won't expect.

Botman and Ekitike were already in the public domain. Then the local lads have cycled through Lodi, Diaby, Harrison, Toney, DCL and more recently Gordon, CHO, Broja and Gouiri. That's a very small pool of names and as Chris Waugh has suggested, we're keeping our cards close to our chest.

I know it'll get twitchy if we haven't brought anyone in during the next week or two, but we've got to trust the recruitment team after their success in January. While it'd be ideal to get our targets in before the season starts, it's not vital. They're looking at the long term, not just the next few weeks.

I think it’s a case of a couple of littler signings like cornet until we reduce the current squad and wage bill. 9 players in their last season so it may be next summer for any more big marquee signings.

8 minutes ago, NE27 said:

either way, nothing against botman, but I've got the feeling the club will still want a marquee signing this window.

just a feeling in my bones.

Well here’s to bones becoming bone! :booze: 
… is it too early for a pre-match pint? (Asking for a friend). 

I know Zapata will come relatively cheap, but I just can’t see it, taking into account his age and wanting to lower the age of the squad. He’s not someone who will grow with the club and develop- this would probably be his last move, plus his pace/power characteristics will only start to wane with age.

8 minutes ago, STM said:

I'm of the opinion we will now go for 2x20m players rather than one for 40. Anyone from a list of Zapata, Broja, Cornet, Dennis, Sarr, Hudson Odoi.

Or based of that article above ignore what I said about Zapata ?

The one thing I'm CERTAIN of, is that we will definitely have the players for the positions that Howe wants, namely a ST and a RW but we won't be rushed and it might go right to the wire.

The stepping stone signing theory affords for one or two players who don't have that resale value/potential to grow with us. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed a proven goalscorer who's a bit older just to keep us progressing. If we get things right in the early stages there'll be plenty time and opportunities to sign the Isaks of this world. 

It's so critical that we replace Wood with someone who can hit a barn door; I can live without it being the striker of our dreams for now.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'd be amazed if that's true. He doesn't fit our target profile at all.

Think it could depend on just how much the reduction on that January 35m asking price there has been. If he is now available at down around 20-25m he could be seen as a short term option for a couple seasons. By which point we will have a new main shirt sponsor & likely countless other new revenue streams, meaning hands won't be as tied by FFP limitations and spunking 50m+ on one player is something we can consider. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

The stepping stone signing theory affords for one or two players who don't have that resale value/potential to grow with us. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed a proven goalscorer who's a bit older just to keep us progressing. If we get things right in the early stages there'll be plenty time and opportunities to sign the Isaks of this world. 

It's so critical that we replace Wood with someone who can hit a barn door; I can live without it being the striker of our dreams for now.

Trippier, Wood and Burn already don't have much resale value.