More transfer rumours

midds

I quite relaxed, I like the squad we have, I love the manager we have and have the utmost confidence in the people running the club.

Even in the scenario where we sign noone else, I'd be convinced it was because we will spend heavy again in January.

13 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Right now we are not ready to challenge top 4, not just from a squad point of view but from a club infrastructure point of view.

If we're lucky we might get 2 good seasons out of Zapata, by that point we're going to want to be challenging for top 4. Zapata in 2 years time won't be able to help us challenge for top 4 so will be surplus to requirements and will need to be replaced. 

But it might be that the forwards we really want (the Nunez, Osimhen types) we can't get until we start consistently pushing top 6 or so. If someone like Zapata (or Trippier...) can help us do that, then if they need to be replaced after a couple of seasons then great, we can replace them with a better calibre of player because we're a more attractive option.

If you have someone like Zapata - and I'm just pulling numbers out of my arse here - £20m, three year contract on £100k. By the time he's given you a couple of seasons he's cost you about £10m in wages and he's worth about £6.5m on the books. Sell him for any more than that and you're making a profit in terms of FFP. At that stage we've got more money (increased sponsorship) and are hopefully a more attractive option for whichever striker we really want.

Obviously the ideal situation is you get a load of Bruno's who can come in, improve the squad straight away and still be part of that hypothetical top-four squad, but if we can't get those, then there is a justification for moving on to stepping stone players.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

No improvement on what we've got ... but has scored 16 Premier League goals in the past two seasons. We don't have a single person outside of Wilson that has managed that for us.

People really rate Fraser & Miggy for no reason.

24 G/A for Harrison over the last 2 years.

Almiron has 12 in 3.5 years. Harrison did that in his first 8 months in the PL.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Man actually said 'no improvement' as in zero ... none. I couldn't believe it :lol:

12 minutes ago, STM said:

I'd be convinced it was because we will spend heavy again in January.

Not being funny but if you were them what would be the benefit of that? If anything the prices mainly go up in January and even more so directly after a World Cup. Teams are also far more reluctant to sell and replace in January. Would make absolutely zero sense to keep our money for January. 

Edited by gdm

Just now, gdm said:

Not being funny but if you were then what would the benefit of that? If anything the prices mainly go up in January and even more so directly after a World Cup. Teams are also far more reluctant to sell and replace in January. Would make absolutely zero sense to keep our money for January. 

I meant that any money would available. Also, we got Trippier and Bruno in January, so it's not impossible.

Owners even have said that they usually wouldn’t like to do business in January. But because of the extreme situation they had to. Personally I see no point in waiting. Get our business done now. And only do something in January if very very necessary because of injuries or whatever.

For example, getting someone like Paqueta in now can only help us ending in a better position. For FFP it won’t make a difference now.  Also buying one now means one less player next window or the one after that. This deal could get done, grab the chance please. Better sponsorship even, if we finish high. I would guess even if marginally maybe. It’s like me paying my bills later…it ain’t gonna get cheaper if I wait! 

Edited by Ikon

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Would it be a tad fairer to Miggy and Frazer to say, Harrison played in a very attacking side, whereas Miggy and Frazer played in mainly defensive/very defensive sides ?

6 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Owners even have said that they usually wouldn’t like to do business in January. But El because of the extreme situation they had to. Personally I see no point in waiting. Get our business done now. And only do something in January if very very necessary because of injuries or whatever.

For example, getting someone like Paqueta in now can only help us ending in a better position. For FFP it won’t make a difference now.  Also buying one now means one less player next window or the one after that. This deal could get done, grab the chance please. Better sponsorship even, if we finish high. I would guess even if marginally maybe. It’s like me paying my bills later…it ain’t gonna get cheaper if I wait! 

Agree 100%

2 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Would it be a tad fairer to Miggy and Frazer to say, Harrison played in a very attacking side, whereas Miggy and Frazer played in mainly defensive/very defensive sides ?

Harrison played in a side that nearly got relegated last season 

Harrison scored more than miggy , maxi and Murphy combined in the last two premier league seasons 

7 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Owners even have said that they usually wouldn’t like to do business in January. But El because of the extreme situation they had to. Personally I see no point in waiting. Get our business done now. And only do something in January if very very necessary because of injuries or whatever.

I think he's just waiting for the chance to link up with his BB, and unless somebody like Arsenal, up the stakes we'll be quite relaxed about that. In the meantime we play hardball over our other targets, setting the required precedent.

12 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

8 goals in 3.5 years. Powder puff finisher.

Miguel Almiron is not a PL level winger/forward/attacking midfielder imo.

He's not good at anything attacking.

Edited by The College Dropout

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't overly disagree but when you put stats out there, it's would be fairer would it not ? To show the exact circumstances.

15 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

To be a bit fair to Miggy, he has always seemed a lot more comfortable either on the left or just off the striker, which are the positions he had mainly played before joining us. 

He always seems hesitant in all the other positions he has mostly been used in, which is of course a huge limitation on his part, but he could have probably been used better.

Under Howe he seems to be figuring out that right hand side better and is at least playing in just that position consistently now.

Edited by KaKa

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Almiron took a while [no longer than average] to settle into a new country. He strted to blossom then things went to shit once Bruce arrived. Poor kid's probably been suicidal for the two years before Howe arrived.

Looks miserable like. Oh, hang on…

Just now, KaKa said:

To be a bit fair to Miggy, he has always seemed a lot more comfortable either on the left or just off the striker, which are the positions he had mainly played before joining us. 

He always seems hesitant in all the other positions he has mostly been used in, which is of course a huge limitation on his part, but he could have probably been used better.

Like everybody else in our attack [including Maxi] he suffered from the lack of any tactic, or training, that involved attacking. We saw how he linked up with Bruno towards the latter part of the season, and I think he'll thrive when called upon. Like I keep saying, he'll surprise a few next season.

41 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Even if you disregard the goals, he doesn't even wing in any decent crosses. He produces no end product whatsoever. I don't care if he has been mis-managed, what that tells you is, he just can't produce quality when it's required.