More transfer rumours

midds

49 minutes ago, STM said:

[emoji38] It's incredibly unlikely that we sign Paqueta. Although those who keep suggesting it clearly arent listening to reason.

We aren't spending 40m on a CM this window when we are refusing to spend that on a striker.

I agree regarding Paqueta, but I think if say Isak became available for £40 million (he won't) we'd pay it. It's all about their valuation of the player. It's why we paid circa £40 million for Bruno, but we wouldn't for Botman or Carlos.

8 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Yeah but read between the lines, does it really look like we're going to spend that sort of money on one player this window? Unlikely.

Possibly not but the club aren't revealing much. It's hard to know how much is legit, other than that we obviously aren't letting clubs take the piss.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

9 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Yeah but read between the lines, does it really look like we're going to spend that sort of money on one player this window? Unlikely.

They've just paid £32 million for Botman, I don't think it's out of the question.

It's far safer to go off the clubs previous actions, rather than the words of journalists.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

They've just paid £32 million for Botman, I don't think it's out of the question.

It's far safer to go off the clubs previous actions, rather than the words of journalists.

I feel like if we wanted him so badly we'd have made some kind of move by now.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

And it seems they had basically agreed to pay a similar amount for Ekitike as well, in the only other potential transfer that looks like it was a solid link.

We were throwing out 30-40m bids on center backs in Jan. We were throwing out similar value bids for other players that didn’t materialize then and this summer.

the lol’s and smug comments and the ha ha’s are so strange and unnecessary. 

Edited by Kanji

12 minutes ago, Kanji said:

We were throwing out 30-40m bids on center backs in Jan. We were throwing out similar value bids for other players that didn’t materialize then and this summer.

the lol’s and smug comments and the ha ha’s are so strange and unnecessary. 

What's strange is the amount Paqueta is mentioned in this thread as some sort of nailed on signing. He's Brunos mate and we showed an interest in January but I can't see any substance past that right now.

We are playing hard ball on RW/ST options in terms of fees, so it seems very far fetched that we would throw caution to the wind for a CM, at this stage.

Edited by STM

4 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Parqueta is worth a fair bit more than Botman surely? Even Bruno to an extent, more established in the Brasil team at least. 

To Lyon perhaps, but not to a side that doesn't see CM as a current priority.

I think we'd all agree that the club sees ST/RW as a priority, but if we aren't willing to spend 45m on those positions we aren't signing Paqueta for that. It would go against everything I have perceived so far.

Edited by STM

11 minutes ago, STM said:

What's strange is the amount Paqueta is mentioned in this thread as some sort of nailed on signing. He's Brunos mate and we showed an interest in January but I can't see any substance past that right now.

Exactly this. There have been as many reports saying we don’t intend to sign him as there has been linking him but people are convinced he’s coming here. I just don’t get it 

Edited by gdm

45 minutes ago, STM said:

To Lyon perhaps, but not to a side that doesn't see CM as a current priority.

I think we'd all agree that the club sees ST/RW as a priority, but if we aren't willing to spend 45m on those positions we aren't signing Paqueta for that. It would go against everything I have perceived so far.

From what I can understand, the position has always been that we follow our transfer strategy, but that if an opportunity elsewhere comes up that is too good to pass up, we wouldn't.

Probably a lot of people on here put Paqueta into that category, which doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Not least because we apparently enquired about him in January, and we've gone back to both our other big January targets already.

Not saying we're likely to be in for him - I don't know. But I also don't think it's daft for people to think or hope that we will.

Sulemana is gunna be great fwiw. We likely will balk at what they ask for but you can tell by watching a little bit of him he's got loads of talent.

Doesn't take a registration slot this season or next either I believe.

35 minutes ago, Abacus said:

From what I can understand, the position has always been that we follow our transfer strategy, but that if an opportunity elsewhere comes up that is too good to pass up, we wouldn't.

Probably a lot of people on here put Paqueta into that category, which doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Not least because we apparently enquired about him in January, and we've gone back to both our other big January targets already.

Not saying we're likely to be in for him - I don't know. But I also don't think it's daft for people to think or hope that we will.

Whilst I agree with the idea of seizing the opportunity, I wouldn't count him as someone likely to join. Its actually very unlikely buy I keep seeing him in people's line ups etc. Diaby was more likely and that one's gone.

Anyway, why hasn't more been made of the inaccurate reporting on Nick Pope's fee? We were all told 10/12m by supposedly reliable people but it turns out to be just 7m.

They honestly haven't the foggiest fuck.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Anyway, why hasn't more been made of the inaccurate reporting on Nick Pope's fee? We were all told 10/12m by supposedly reliable people but it turns out to be just 7m.

They honestly haven't the foggiest fuck.

It's 10m. 3m up front and 7m in installments. 

2 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

That either means the next 3 installments total £7m, ie not counting what is already paid, or the transfer fee totals £7m. Depends on how you read it.

It's bad writing if it's saying the transfer fee was 7M in total.

It's like those shite maths problems that are deliberately written out wrong just to get hits. 

3 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Paqueta looks world class and potentially a bargain at £40m if that could get him. On paper he instantly transforms our best XI.

I think he's by far and away the best player we could realistically sign this window.

Like everything about the transfer seems to make perfect sense. Amazingly there doesn't even seem to be any real competition from other clubs for him right now either, which I think there will be after the World Cup. 

3 hours ago, STM said:

We are playing hard ball on RW/ST options in terms of fees, so it seems very far fetched that we would throw caution to the wind for a CM, at this stage.

IDK mate, he was specifically name checked by Howe at the end of the season and there’s been just as much smoke about yes/no on him and the price being very high for there not be a strong level of interest at the right price and very plausible we are waiting it out. 

It’s been said multiple times by the various journalists that if an opportunity arises at some point to sign someone earlier, they very well could pull the trigger and get it done.