More transfer rumours

midds

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Leicester have always sold one or two of their better players in the past to then reinvest in the squad, Maguire, Chillwell etc. I think they’d be OK with selling Barnes for the right money. They’ve done well recruitment wise in and out for a while now. Such a well run club!

Except when we conned them into paying £30m for your favourite Mexican.

Guest HTT II
28 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

My Aunty and her wife were there and in nearly every fucking picture that Adam Pearson's in shot. Creepy, inclusive, bastard that he is :lol:

No doubt there for the likes, shares, clicks and shit. Or he’s finally come out. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, TRon said:

Except when we conned them into paying £30m for your favourite Mexican.

Don’t bring up painful memories man. In all seriousness, he isn’t suited to Rodgers’ style IMO, I’d have him back like. 

8 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Don’t bring up painful memories man. In all seriousness, he isn’t suited to Rodgers’ style IMO, I’d have him back like. 

Not for £30m you wouldn't. Be honest.

Arsenal were never in for Paqueta. So many of the rumours flying around are just being made up, or perhaps it's agents trying to get these moves.

But Edu has suggested talk of a move for the 24-year-old is wide of the mark. Speaking to Brazilian outlet TNT Sports, the director insisted Arsenal are “well-served” in his position.

“I’m very respectful when I talk about Lucas (Paqueta),” he said. “I’m a guy who likes him a lot. I've always liked him, since my time with Brazil’s national team.

“He’s had a great season; he was considered the best (foreign) player in the French league. But today, there really isn’t any kind of talk, there’s only my admiration for the player, because the squad today is, in the position he plays, very well-served in this regard."

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

They’re in trouble if they don’t make a few good signings. 

TBF Leicester has to be the least glamorous place and club in the PL. 

Leicester is the club I saw people most want to be like when we were owned by Ashley tbf. 

13 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Arsenal were never in for Paqueta. So many of the rumours flying around are just being made up, or perhaps it's agents trying to get these moves.

Not sure anyone has actually been in for him this summer tbh 

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

Most people  in the West constantly mock and ridicule religious people, and tell them they are brainwashed and delusional, and would never champion any of their causes, but would sooner tell them to fuck off and keep their religion to themselves  ... so is this 'clear' Islamaphobia/Christianphobia etc?

Or religion phobia? I'm not religionphobic bit I'm very wary of people when they claim to be religious.

Edited by madras

37 minutes ago, buzza said:

Honestly, could you take the religion/race/politics/social conditioning schlurp to another thread pls?

I enjoy the footy/player based threads but really do not enjoy these round in circles debates…

rant over…:suicide:

I don’t mind the debate just keep it out this thread. Move it to a thread in general chat. 

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

Leicester is the club I saw people most want to be like when we were owned by Ashley tbf. 

Yeah, I mean I don’t really know if they’re really well run or not. Possibly they’ve reached a point where they can’t justify the cost of staying at the very top level. 

At the point they are now, it must be difficult to attract players. They’ll need excellent recruitment to get great players from the next tier down. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, I mean I don’t really know if they’re really well run or not. Possibly they’ve reached a point where they can’t justify the cost of staying at the very top level. 

At the point they are now, it must be difficult to attract players. They’ll need excellent recruitment to get great players from the next tier down. 

Had a quick look on one of their fans forums. They haven't actually spent much on transfers, net as ON says, so I was also wondering why they were so cash strapped.

I don't think it's anything FFP related - I think it's literally that they don't have all that much money, having just spent £100m on training ground redevelopment (great for the future, but takes time to pay back) but also some poor short term squad management.

They are also looking to spend a lot on a stadium expansion to take them to 40,000 capacity. In itself, that should indicate why they might be struggling now - a club of Leicester's size and attendances needs to box clever in the transfer market, buying low, developing and selling high, or gravity will reassert itself.

They obviously had a one off boost with that incredible league win and CL campaign after, but realistically that was only ever a one off. However, it probably also set an expectation that they could build on that in order to carry on competing towards the top end of the table.

A few fans seem to blame Rodgers for the current squad being a little bit of mess. Lots of players coming into the last 24 months of their contracts (10 of them within 12 months, by one count), all ageing and on high wages, with some of the worst ones being his buys. Perez is usually cited as an example of a poor player on £70k a week. NB, our old pal Choudhury on £50k a week is another example. Not a Rodgers signing here, but he did extend his contract for 4 years, with neither player contributing much and nobody much wanting them.

Some say there's been a departure from bringing in younger players, developing them and selling them on.

So, there seem to be a fair few players they want rid of, and not the money or wage room to buy again until they clear out the unwanted ones first. 

And given those short remaining contract situations, there's not much leverage to negotiate decent transfer fees even if there was interest. So, they end up losing players they don't want to instead which is where our ears should prick up, with the likes of Barnes.

Plus, this isn't a club with hugely wealthy owners (they're rich, but not mega rich). Or a consistent record of success, large attendances or huge commercial revenues as well as coming off the back of two years of Covid losses and a nondescript season - which bigger clubs would be able to absorb better.

That's my impression anyway - I'm sure it's not as doom and gloom as all that.

Would be a difficult choice if it were between Harrison and Barnes. 

Barnes would seem like a "bigger" signing and more of a coup mainly because he's coming from Leicester instead of Leeds but also as he has played for England (albeit only 1 cap).

Personally I would prefer Barnes but he seems like he would cost a fair bit more than Harrison and I'd begrudge spending anything over 30M for either of them but do think Barnes is perhaps worth that price more than Harrison is.

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I’d have no issue with spending that on Barnes but, again, isn’t he a left winger?

Right footed left winger, good with both feet. I'd actually like us to have someone that can cross a ball in rather than cut in every time.

Would be a quality signing!