Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

41 minutes ago, Pardiola said:

Unprompted from Eddie:

"But also, it's worth highlighting Chris Wood's impact in that. I think his physicality and his ability to make life very uncomfortable for the opposing centre-halves has been key as well in the last couple of games. I think the balance of the team has been very good."

Then asked how far away he is from the goal he needs:

"He'll want that goal, but it's not lost on me the difference his presence and physicality has made to that front line. There'd be a lot of balls that he's had no right to either get a touch on, or to just knock a defender that means we're able to get up the pitch and spend longer in their half. But also his work rate and his teamwork, so he's covered for Maxi a couple of times when he's out of position. For a striker of his type to do those unselfish things, it's made a big difference to the team. So I don't think you can underestimate all the aspects of his game that have helped the team."

Scraping the barrel, or fair?

Think its great man management personally. Its clear he is putting the effort in but just feel he's very low on confidence and I think the price tag is playing a part too, seems like he is doubting his abilities. He looks nervous and maybe this is Howe trying to show Wood that he is doing a great job and that he is bringing positives for the team. Feels like all the shite from media and twitter etc ridiculing him and the price is weighing on him and just needs support. Hopefully he can grab a goal and 4 or 5 more can come

I think he's been solid. At least one of those headers he's been criticised for was where the ball was behind him, so you couldn't put power on it. And it wasn't through a lack of his positioning either.

He doesn't have the best touch, true. But he is pulling defenders out of place and opening up space for others.

Be great for him to rifle one home soon to quieten some the overly critical reception he's had, but we're certainly a better team with him in it. 

4 minutes ago, Stottie said:

As they train together, Wood will tune into what ASM does and learn to anticipate it more. In fairness to him, he made the same run as Fraser and was right next to him when he scored. 

This. Wasn't that far away with his timing/offside for his disallowed goal either. 

People are being harsh as hell. He's leading the line well and causing the ball the stick in the oppositions half when it matters. Defenders are constantly in a battle and engaged with him, and he's often drawing two defenders in on ariel duels. The alternative is Dwight Gayle, who would not be achieving a quarter of what Wood has managed so far. 

4 hours ago, OCK said:

People are being harsh as hell. He's leading the line well and causing the ball the stick in the oppositions half when it matters. Defenders are constantly in a battle and engaged with him, and he's often drawing two defenders in on ariel duels. The alternative is Dwight Gayle, who would not be achieving a quarter of what Wood has managed so far. 

Add in we aren't yet getting him regular support from midfield. If we want the best from Bruno that needs to happen (Looking at you Willock and Joelinton).

1 minute ago, Toontimes said:

I wish he would hold onto the ball more times, he nearly always looks to flick it on and for whatever reason ASM never seems to anticipate it

That willl come with more training, more drills and more confidence in each other, I’m sure.

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

That willl come with more training, more drills and more confidence in each other, I’m sure.

Yes I agree and he certainly has the presence and ability to occupy a couple of defenders giving more space for others.

4 minutes ago, Toontimes said:

Yes I agree and he certainly has the presence and ability to occupy a couple of defenders giving more space for others.

Albeit brief and too late, I saw that was the case in the final 10 minutes against Everton, his flick-ons and hold/link up play was starting to work with ASM and Fraser alongside him, two players who are not exactly easy to play in/fit alongside. He needs a goal or two though and his overall play on the ball has been very poor it has to be said, but if he’s to be our donkey up front that allows ASM and Fraser who whoever to prosper and we can get further up the pitch that keeps us up, it will all be worth it!

7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Albeit brief and too late, I saw that was the case in the final 10 minutes against Everton, his flick-ons and hold/link up play was starting to work with ASM and Fraser alongside him, two players who are not exactly easy to play in/fit alongside. He needs a goal or two though and his overall play on the ball has been very poor it has to be said, but if he’s to be our donkey up front that allows ASM and Fraser who whoever to prosper and we can get further up the pitch that keeps us up, it will all be worth it!

Could the brief and too late bit be rather he'd worn them down ? Shearer used to do that, in partucular against Sol Campbell a few times.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Could the brief and too late bit be rather he'd worn them down ? Shearer used to do that, in partucular against Sol Campbell a few times.

It could be, Shearer was great at that and if you’re marking a big lump all day and constantly fighting for the ball in the air or having to get close to your man tight and physical, it does take its toll! It’s an underrated aspect of a CF’s play and often unnoticed because it’s mostly off the ball.