Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Interesting to read the Athletic piece with Staveley and Ghodoussi where they talked about not wanting to be held to ransom on players. No mention of the Wood deal though. I get the deal, and still agree with it, but that has to be an example of a cost that changed how clubs viewed our transfer spending.

He's not worth 25m but he's been worth every penny of the 25m we paid for him (provided we now stay up).

In the summer, he won't be sold IMO but he will be a reliable 2nd/3rd choice for another season. 

1 minute ago, woody said:

Interesting to read the Athletic piece with Staveley and Ghodoussi where they talked about not wanting to be held to ransom on players. No mention of the Wood deal though. I get the deal, and still agree with it, but that has to be an example of a cost that changed how clubs viewed our transfer spending.

Not really. I think it was evident to everyone that we needed a striker yesterday and we found one with a release clause.

It wasn’t a normal situation. Our need was urgent and we didn’t have to negotiate.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

He's not worth 25m but he's been worth every penny of the 25m we paid for him (provided we now stay up).

In the summer, he won't be sold IMO but he will be a reliable 2nd/3rd choice for another season. 

If he’s second choice next season something has gone terribly wrong given our spending power. 

5 minutes ago, STM said:

if he’s 2nd choice for us we should just give up. He’d be second choice for a championship club.

Should probably have scored today, but we also had a great example of the intangibles he gives the team here. On Joelinton's goal if you watch it back you can see Wood clean out two defenders, which leaves the open space for Joe to attack. Joe then runs into space and only has to deal with one marker who is also on the wrong side of him and trying to catch up, makes it a free header for him.

Not sure that's a goal without Wood causing an absolute ruckus in the box, almost an uncredited assist for me.

Also probably should have been a foul when he shoves the first defender three yards backwards but hey they never call that shit so whatever.

Another win with him up top. His header in the first half was probably the first time I thought he should be scoring. I do feel like he's playing with a bit of nerves. If he can get that first one soon then I think he'll get 5 before the season is done.

13 minutes ago, Thiago said:

Another win with him up top. His header in the first half was probably the first time I thought he should be scoring. I do feel like he's playing with a bit of nerves. If he can get that first one soon then I think he'll get 5 before the season is done.

He’s only scored 5 in the last 12 months, no chance he gets 5 in under 3 months.

3 minutes ago, huss9 said:

grounds gonna explode when he gets his first.

I think he will. That Big Joe header that scored was with authority. I wish Wood did that and the man is really slow but I feel he is adding something and based on his history can add a goal here and there by seasons end.

You dont really get a chance to see it when watching the game but on MotD they had a little montage about Fraser and Joelinton, the Fraser bit, the link up with Wood was relly good and shows a little of what he's doing for the teams all round game. Add goals to it and we are all happy,

He could go the season for us without scoring, yet still be such an important part of us staying up. I’m willing him to get a goal, hopefully one or two are coming soon. I can’t see it though the way he’s playing and how he just looks in his performances thus far!

18 hours ago, Tiresias said:

Also if Burnley stay up they owe us big time lol. Weghorst looks great, tho an anti vaxer so fuck them

Love it.   Weghorst has scored 1 more than Wood but Wood is shit and Weghorst is great.   Ah but its all about what he brings to the team I hear..............not when its Wood though.

7 unbeaten with Wood in the side, against Brentford he went mighty close....hopefully Brighton is the game but if we win and he doesn't score....no stress!

The ball just doesn't stick to him. Think how much Rondon was able to hold it up, for example. He's a mile off. Would've been so, so beneficial today to have someone capable of holding the ball up to give us an outlet and take the pressure off. Dunk and Duffy won nearly everything against him and owt that fell his way required an immediate lay-off.