Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

It's amazing people's opinions on here, nobody thinks Wood is a great ST but he is the only option we have as has helped us not only escape relegation but upto 9th. 

ASM would seriously struggle up against Liverpool as ST and far more chance of getting them on the counter when there fullbacks push on.

Wood isn't the future but at the moment is our only option, surprised nobody asking for Bruno up there yet. 

6 minutes ago, Nine said:

Against 99% of teams it is insanity to want ASM playing through the middle instead of Wood :lol:

Guess I'm insane then, ASM had more touches vs Norwich than Chris Wood has had since he moved to us from Burnley. And just him being a nuisance and occupying defenders allowed both our attacking wide players to play freely.

3 minutes ago, HawK said:

Guess I'm insane then, ASM had more touches vs Norwich than Chris Wood has had since he moved to us from Burnley. And just him being a nuisance and occupying defenders allowed both our attacking wide players to play freely.

Against Norwich is a different ball game and he is more than just a nuisance, his work rate, working the lines and his hold up play is OK but maybe I'm wrong. 

2 minutes ago, HWTL said:

Against Norwich is a different ball game and he is more than just a nuisance, his work rate, working the lines and his hold up play is OK but maybe I'm wrong. 

Nope, it's just a different opinion. Which doesn't make you insane, btw. Looking forward to seeing what Howe will do.

need to stop playing this guy.

thankful for those 2 invaluable goals, but now we dont need him and he offers us very little. doesnt even do the target/big lad up front job very well.

shame as seems like a good lad.

The mobility of a rocking horse and the first touch of an elephant. Wish we’d have signed someone proper with that £25m that we could potentially grow with, but it is what it is.

Won’t get all signings right and overall they’ve been great. 

One of the touches he had yesterday went about fifteen yards away and looped over two players heads :lol: 

I think it's significant that now we're safe Howe isn't starting him, he's so bloody limited. I know he was offside but I'd have had ten grand on him not scoring when he broke through yesterday in the second half.

Might have something to do with him being a good enough goal scorer to have scored 1 in every 3 Premier League games like. :lol: At least until he came here anyway. There have been tons of players over the years who've made up for their weaknesses with other strengths like, I dunno why a special case is made out of Chris Wood tbh. 

Don't think he's remotely the answer moving forward but would like to see him with a full pre-season and whatever it takes to sort his confidence out.

As I've said previously, he is nowhere near PL standard and shouldn't be anywhere near the pitch next season, but we have no other alternative at 9, so we have to use him.

ASM and Joelinton can't play 9, but they can and should play elsewhere, so Wood gets the start for me.

Great lad, terrible footballer and a necessarily evil until we get a decent 9.

We def need an upgrade but it’s not his fault we bought him or paid £25m for him.

It’s also not the clubs fault for buying him. We needed someone/ pretty much anyone who was the right character and could play in Eddie’s system. He was pretty much it with the time we had in January after being knocked back for Lingard and Ekitike. 

It was needs must all round and if (when) we stay up then it’ll have been worth it. 

He has played his part in our recent return of points, no doubt about it - so if he helps us stay up, it really was needs must.

However, that is about as far as it goes.  Nothing against him as a person, but he is not what we need moving forwards, or into next season even off the bench IMO.  Although I suspect as he has 2 years left on his contract, he might well end up being 3rd / 4th choice which we cannot really do anything about.  No one will pay close to half what we paid, so we would make a loss on him as a player but gain big by staying up.  Overall it might prove to have been a much needed signing...