Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

He proved his worth by helping keep us up last season but he is not a modern day striker. I felt sorry for him last night when he fluffed that really good chance and you could see by his expression that he wanted the ground to swallow him up

8 hours ago, Dancing Brave said:

I really like Chris Wood.

I wish he put that chance he had away.

Never mind.

Don't know why and without any reason or owt like that, I just think he's going to score an important goal for NUFC. 

Hope you’re right, man. And it’s always  nice having that feeling about a player. Have to say, that I have run out of patience and hope re Wood (and a couple of others) really think we are a bit short squad wise for where we could be— tactically and given the remaining quality and togetherness. Can’t help seeing what the misses (we don’t see the chances which could/would/should have been created) might mean, for example being knocked out of the FA Cup rather than equalising. Or not getting a firm contact on a ball that would have given us three points instead of one. Cumulatively such moments can determine the season and I just don’t trust Wood to take the chances, to be one of the players to make a positive difference. 

Rewatching that chance, he could have taken another touch. Whichever way you look at it, it's an absolutely terrible miss. I think he contributed last season but he just seems to be getting less effective. You can forgive the lumbering around and the turning circle of an articulated lorry, IF he had the deadly touch when it mattered but even that is faultering. Even away from the emotional reaction of last night, you have to look at the cold hard facts and that is, he isn't good enough and never will be and it has been one of the few mistakes the new owners have made. Yes last year they were backed into a corner but you have to think maybe a gamble on a high level championahip striker may have been more worth it. However hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Edited by Schecter

22 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

He’s a good pro, he was important I helping with that vital 9 match unbeaten run last season. But he’s just not good enough as a forward and he’ll be moved on in the summer with a good few others hopefully. 

This is a fair comment. I don't like all the abuse he's getting. You should abuse a player if he doesn't try or if he is a cock. Wood isn't like that. We've lost our second game all season, realistically we didn't deserve to lose either and some of the comments in the match thread are a joke tbh.

Edited by samptime29

I almost wish he was a bit of a dick so I could truly hate him. Him and Murphy seem like such nice lads and good pros but the ability isn’t there, sadly. I thought saying they were League 1 level was hyperbolic but they didn’t even look that yesterday ffs.

Just now, McCormick said:

I almost wish he was a bit of a dick so I could truly hate him. Him and Murphy seem like such nice lads and good pros but the ability isn’t there, sadly. I thought saying they were League 1 level was hyperbolic but they didn’t even look that yesterday ffs.

Then two, longstaff are the next four in my opinion to be upgraded. Oh - and the left back position 

Guest reefatoon
9 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I think he was prob right to hit it first time, two defenders were getting behind it, but what a hit.

It clearly wasn’t [emoji38] This is Chris Wood we are talking about.

5 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Then two, longstaff are the next four in my opinion to be upgraded. Oh - and the left back position 

I’d keep Sean tbh, he’s not top 6 standard but he’s been reliable enough in the countless times he’s been called upon this season. Wood, Fraser, Murphy, Ritchie, Dummet and Lewis would be the ones I’d be happy to send packing.

32 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’d keep Sean tbh, he’s not top 6 standard but he’s been reliable enough in the countless times he’s been called upon this season. Wood, Fraser, Murphy, Ritchie, Dummet and Lewis would be the ones I’d be happy to send packing.

Is reliable good enough these days though? For me he needs to go

42 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’d keep him in the squad, 100%. I think he is the first one out of the regular 13 or so players that we use, who needs upgrading, though. 

12 minutes ago, dinotheprehistoricgeordie said:

A shocking miss last night and he wasn't great but it was his header that led to our goal. He'd popped up with some decent performances for us, and that goal against Spurs was huge. He's never going to be the best player in our team but I'm content with him being a squad player considering his attitude and work rate.

That’s my issue with him - too many shocking misses, maybe I’m being too harsh but the one yesterday and the ones against Leeds don’t sit with me at the moment.

Just wish some of our players had a little more in front of goal because we’re creating the chances just not putting them away.

20 minutes ago, dinotheprehistoricgeordie said:

A shocking miss last night and he wasn't great but it was his header that led to our goal. He'd popped up with some decent performances for us, and that goal against Spurs was huge. He's never going to be the best player in our team but I'm content with him being a squad player considering his attitude and work rate.

Goal against Spurs? Wilson and Miggy scored those two

He’s OK as a third choice back up striker, but ultimately we still need another quality striker given Wilson is fragile fitness wise and Isak is coming back from a lengthy lay off. Do that and we phase him out/send him out on loan. Ideally he won’t be here next season along with a good number of others. I’ve defended him loads in the past, he’s obviously a good guy, but last night every spect of his game was unacceptable for what we paid for, which albeit come down to certain circumstances we were in at the time, but he’s one player Howe hasn’t improved or he’s been able to manage what is expected of a striker and that’s goals. That was a poor, poor performance against L1 opposition. Sheff Wed’s forwards put him to shame last night and again, it’s not acceptable. He’s not getting many starts this season, and last night against such a level of opposition, you try and take your chance and show, aye, I can be relied on. 

In the time he’s been here, he’s shown he can:

Score penalties

Head balls on to no-man’s land 

Run at a keeper and defenders and hold a position on the pitch

That a £25m return? I know we stayed up last season but I always felt people gave him a little too much credit for that 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

In the time he’s been here, he’s shown he can:

Score penalties

Head balls on to no-man’s land 

Run at a keeper and defenders and hold a position on the pitch

That a £25m return? I know we stayed up last season but I always felt people gave him a little too much credit for that 

Played a massive part last season and never gonna knock him for that but if the club wants to keep getting better then we need to ensure the squad needs to keep getting better and we seriously seriously need a goal scorer with woods availability but who can put the ball in the net.

Just now, Gawalls said:

Played a massive part last season and never gonna knock him for that but if the club wants to keep getting better then we need to ensure the squad needs to keep getting better and we seriously seriously need a goal scorer with woods availability but who can put the ball in the net.

I don’t mind people saying he played a massive part, everyone is entitled to their opinion but from my side. I’d say he played a part, had a great attitude, came in and worked extremely hard but didn’t actually influence games massively. I feel we could have had one of many strikers in that position who would have contributed equally or more. I like the lad, he’s got a great character but I think people can be a bit too eager to big him up last season 

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I don’t mind people saying he played a massive part, everyone is entitled to their opinion but from my side. I’d say he played a part, had a great attitude, came in and worked extremely hard but didn’t actually influence games massively. I feel we could have had one of many strikers in that position who would have contributed equally or more. I like the lad, he’s got a great character but I think people can be a bit too eager to big him up last season 

Well to quote Del Boy - “what happened last season is all epidemic”. Him, Burn, Target (and Trippier but he missed a lot of games last season) were some of the first players to jump at the offer and come here then be part of matching us up the table and for that I’ll always be thankful.

Edited by Gawalls

After sleeping on it, fair to say he is still fucking awful and we need to get rid of him as soon as possible....who would be stupid enough to buy him though.

Still baffled so many actually thought he was a 'good 3rd choice striker'....he's shit.

1 minute ago, Aiston said:

After sleeping on it, fair to say he is still fucking awful and we need to get rid of him as soon as possible....who would be stupid enough to buy him though.

Still baffled so many actually thought he was a 'good 3rd choice striker'....he's shit.

I think it's more the fact a lot of clubs don't have three senior CFs these days? Might be wrong but most have two, then either an U23 who'll step in now and again or an inside forward who can slot in when the two strikers are out.